IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Council Backtracks On Replacement Ground for Newbury FC, who cares if Newbury have played in Faraday Road since 1887!
blackdog
post Sep 30 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE (motormad @ Sep 30 2015, 02:46 PM) *
Where on the A339 will a roundabout be built? I can't see a reason for one anywhere.

There are no plans for a new roundabout. Just a light controlled junction a few yards south of the Robin Hood 'gyratory'.

As far as I can see it is totally about improving traffic flow in the Faraday Road area and sod the rest of those using the A339 or A4.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 30 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Sep 30 2015, 09:39 AM) *
The "Enhanced provision" for the community will be the road works require to add yet another roundabout to the A339 - that is what the payments will be used for

Are you talking about the planning approval which has been granted for the new A339 junction between the Robin Hood and Sainsbury's. If so, the finance is mostly available by a grant from some central source and it is a traffic light controlled junction, not a roundabout. I don't know about any other A339 plans.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 30 2015, 05:30 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (blackdog @ Sep 30 2015, 06:25 PM) *
There are no plans for a new roundabout. Just a light controlled junction a few yards south of the Robin Hood 'gyratory'. As far as I can see it is totally about improving traffic flow in the Faraday Road area and sod the rest of those using the A339 or A4.

Snap

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Sep 30 2015, 05:31 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

With Newbury playing Reading YMCA this Saturday there's at least a chance of an ethnically diverse and gender friendly fan base turning up if nothing else... They also have a ready made dance for fans as half time entertainment....

I mean look at the number of fans they seem to have...

..not so sure their kit's that great at playing footie in..

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 30 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Perhaps the situation has changed since the first comments were made?

For example the Chancellor has asked to government departments to draw up plans for 40% cuts.

In the light of this, perhaps a subsidising a football club that very few residents seem to have an interest in supporting other than on internet forums becomes less important if money needs to be found to keep things like social care and education running.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 30 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 30 2015, 07:40 PM) *

For example the Chancellor has asked to government departments to draw up plans for 40% cuts.

In the light of this, perhaps a subsidising a football club that very few residents seem to have an interest in supporting other than on internet forums becomes less important if money needs to be found to keep things like social care and education running.

Perhaps the CEO might have use that one then at the beginning. The argument isn't about whether Newbury should subsidise a footer club, its apparent slippery language from the local CEO that is the issue.

The other thing: I'd tell Monster Raving Tory Knt to fk oph with his 40% reductions.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 30 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 30 2015, 07:46 PM) *
Perhaps the CEO might have use that one then at the beginning. The argument isn't about whether Newbury should subsidise a footer club, its apparent slippery language from the local CEO that is the issue.

The other thing: I'd tell Monster Raving Tory Knt to fk oph with his 40% reductions.
"at the beginning" 10 months ago we had a different government and an election looming. He probably said what was true at the time.

Of course he could have said nothing, but then we probably would have seen that he "refused to comment" in the press.

Do we really want public officials keeping quiet just in case a situation changes and therefore their stance on something does as a result?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Sep 30 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 30 2015, 07:46 PM) *

Could be worse, could be a swivel eyed loon.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 30 2015, 09:15 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 30 2015, 07:52 PM) *
"at the beginning" 10 months ago we had a different government and an election looming. He probably said what was true at the time.

If that was true, I'd like to hear what he had in mind then when he said it. But I doubt is was anything more than what is in place now: a few phone calls to a few neighbouring clubs.

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 30 2015, 07:52 PM) *
Of course he could have said nothing, but then we probably would have seen that he "refused to comment" in the press. Do we really want public officials keeping quiet just in case a situation changes and therefore their stance on something does as a result?

Just being honest would be a start.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 30 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 30 2015, 10:15 PM) *
Just being honest would be a start.
As I said, perhaps he was being honest at both times, given the situation had changed between 10 months ago and now.

I take it you'll be going to every home game to support the club from now on?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 30 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 30 2015, 10:24 PM) *
As I said, perhaps he was being honest at both times, given the situation had changed between 10 months ago and now.

Or perhaps he wasn't.

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 30 2015, 10:24 PM) *
I take it you'll be going to every home game to support the club from now on?

IDGAF; I'm more interested in mealy-mouthed statements by council officials.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 30 2015, 09:35 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 30 2015, 10:28 PM) *
Or perhaps he wasn't.

IDGAF; I'm more interested in mealy-mouthed statements by council officials.
As you have little interest in the football club and you're just arguing for argument's sake, I see no point in continuing this conversation.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 30 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 30 2015, 10:35 PM) *
As you have little interest in the football club and you're just arguing for argument's sake, I see no point in continuing this conversation.

I have made it very plain what I am objecting to and I am not arguing for the sake of it as you wrongly assert.

FYI:

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 25 2015, 10:00 PM) *
Like smoky VDubs, it is the apparent slight of hand that is offensive, not necessarily the dead.

I'm sure he is a decent regular Joe, but the WBC CEO epitomises all that I despise in politics and authority.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 1 2015, 08:34 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (blackdog @ Sep 30 2015, 06:25 PM) *
There are no plans for a new roundabout. Just a light controlled junction a few yards south of the Robin Hood 'gyratory'.

Yes, you're right, my slip of brain to typing fingers!
Roundabout / traffic lights, the resulting additional congestion on Newbury's only North - South through route will be the same. angry.gif
P.S. Maybe someone will have the sense to link the light phases to those on the Robin Hood to minimise this? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 1 2015, 08:40 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Not to mention the possible extra pollution from the extra stop starts and extra vehicles in town.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Oct 2 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 30 2015, 07:40 PM) *

Not to mention the additional payments to certain staff eh User! Are they restricted to the pay increase limit?

Isn't education really centrally funded? probably another of your WBC efforts to twist the truth.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Oct 2 2015, 09:15 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 30 2015, 10:35 PM) *

You have found out Phil's mate Nick Carter is a lying little ****, so he's going to run away again.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 3 2015, 12:18 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

.....whoa....hang on, hang on...I must have missed a couple of episodes of whatever monty has been watching... Let me get this right, coz last time I was watching Bobby Ewing was in the shower...... so Nick Carter is a lying little twat and is going to run away somewhere? Is that right?..... Where to?...I'm intrigued...

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 3 2015, 09:56 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Run away from the truth, responsibility, take your pick?

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Oct 3 2015, 10:50 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 3 2015, 01:18 AM) *
.....whoa....hang on, hang on...I must have missed a couple of episodes of whatever monty has been watching... Let me get this right, coz last time I was watching Bobby Ewing was in the shower...... so Nick Carter is a lying little twat and is going to run away somewhere? Is that right?..... Where to?...I'm intrigued...

No User is going to run away from the conversation - hence the comma in the sentence. We do wish Nick Carter would run away somewhere though - he shows no signs of being worth a fraction of his six figure salary.

Half a million of public money on the Cinema, almost a million on the "affordable housing" that was supposed to be included free in the original Parkway plan, a delay in the delivery of said housing and no money received as yet from the land given away for a pound. Plus the resulting effect on Victoria Park and further costs incurred by NTC. Now the want a further scheme in Faraday Road and are planning to give more public land away in Market Street.

I see a vision of loads of public money flushed down the pan and a town stripped of it's character!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 03:06 AM