Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sainsburys
ossy1
post Aug 13 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

Went in Sainsburys the other day, been a while since I have.

Nice big store (albeit not finished), what struck me as a bit strange was that they have not installed self service checkouts like some of the other big Sainsburys.

Looking at the queues at the basket checkout, surely self service would have been a great idea. They always seems to be under staffed on the checkouts as it is.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 13 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 13 2009, 03:42 PM) *
Went in Sainsburys the other day, been a while since I have.

Nice big store (albeit not finished), what struck me as a bit strange was that they have not installed self service checkouts like some of the other big Sainsburys.

Looking at the queues at the basket checkout, surely self service would have been a great idea. They always seems to be under staffed on the checkouts as it is.

They haven't actually finished yet, but I am led to believe they will install them.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 104

I still shop at Tesco, they have self service tills. I did try Sainsburys when Tesco put those speed ramps in, but i have to be honest, i just find Tesco cheaper. I know its the quality that counts, but again as long as you are careful, you can pick up some nice produce and with 5 mouths to feed, i need my shopping bill to stay down, its over £100 a week as it it, at Sainsburys i found i could add a good £25 on top.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 18 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

I stopped using Sainsbury's when they introduced the ridiculous idea of needing a £1 coin to get a trolley.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 18 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 18 2009, 10:58 AM) *
I stopped using Sainsbury's when they introduced the ridiculous idea of needing a £1 coin to get a trolley.

The trouble is they still take them anyway.... they just break open the money holder and take their pound coin.

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Aug 18 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

I work at Sainsbury's Newbury & was told in July that the self service checkouts should have been in, in June but because of some money problems or something we had to wait a bit longer for them. That was the last i heard.

The self service checkout will REPLACE the basket tills. There will be 2 sets. 1 set where the basket tills are & the other will replace a couple of the normal tills about half way up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 18 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 18 2009, 10:58 AM) *

you get the £1 back you know.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 18 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 18 2009, 12:22 PM) *
you get the £1 back you know.

Yes, but I tend to do the weekly shop using plastic, so I don't always have a £1 coin on me.

And I'm not going to queue at customer services to get a token and then go back outside to get a trolley - all before I can start shopping. I just transferred my allegiance to Tesco.

I did for a while use Sainsbury's on-line, but then realised how 'ungreen' it was as the groceries came all the way from Savacentre in Reading.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 18 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jamoza @ Aug 18 2009, 11:26 AM) *
The self service checkout will REPLACE the basket tills. There will be 2 sets. 1 set where the basket tills are & the other will replace a couple of the normal tills about half way up.

Are you saying that there will be no basket only tills at all?

Yet another reason to avoid Sainsbury's.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 18 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 18 2009, 12:36 PM) *
Yes, but I tend to do the weekly shop using plastic, so I don't always have a £1 coin on me.

And I'm not going to queue at customer services to get a token and then go back outside to get a trolley - all before I can start shopping. I just transferred my allegiance to Tesco.

I did for a while use Sainsbury's on-line, but then realised how 'ungreen' it was as the groceries came all the way from Savacentre in Reading.

use one of the twin baby carrying trollies then - they don't need a coin.

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Aug 18 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 18 2009, 12:37 PM) *
Are you saying that there will be no basket only tills at all?

Yet another reason to avoid Sainsbury's.

That's what i am saying

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 18 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 18 2009, 12:37 PM) *
Are you saying that there will be no basket only tills at all? Yet another reason to avoid Sainsbury's.

I would imagine there will be self service basket only tills in place of the current tills.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 18 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Well, I do too (in fact I use plastic for most things). So in my (small) pile of coins at home, I always keep a £1 coin back to make sure I have one in my pocket when I go shopping.

It's called forward planning.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 18 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 18 2009, 01:08 PM) *
It's called forward planning.

So now I have to make sure that my change always contains a £1 coin for the convenience of Sainsbury's - I think it easier to go to Tesco.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 18 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

You could put £1 away for such events. I use plastic as well but I always make sure I've got a pound on me. apart from that I prefer Sainsbury's to Tesco's and Tesco's is too far unless my daughter takes me.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 18 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Spend £5 and buy a returnable keyring token wink.gif

Roll on the self-service checkouts. Tesco and B&Q now have then and it makes getting a few items a breeze. No queuing, no inane waffle and will be much more discrete when buying the more 'personal' items.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 18 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 18 2009, 01:12 PM) *
So now I have to make sure that my change always contains a £1 coin for the convenience of Sainsbury's - I think it easier to go to Tesco.

It seems that GMR and I agree on this one smile.gif. Go to Tesco then, if you want, but I prefer to have the trolleys neatly stashed away in the proper place. For my convenience, just as much as Sainsbury's.

It's really hard to remember to pick up a pound coin (that you've kept for that purpose), isn't it? Just as hard as making sure you've got your bags and your cards. I suppose it's easier to remember the car keys, 'cos you don't get very far without them.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 18 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I've been caught out at Sainsbury's with not having a pound coin, especially if I didn't plan to stop - it's a real pain. However somebody recently left one of those little metal token things in one so I now have that in the car. It's proven to be really useful, and I have found Sainsbury's nicer to shop in than the other supermarkets.

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Aug 18 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

If you go to Sainsbury's & haven't got a coin for the trolley, you can go to the customer service desk & they can get you one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 18 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 18 2009, 01:28 PM) *
It seems that GMR and I agree on this one smile.gif.

If we got people like JeffG agreeing with me it just goes to show these boards are starting to deteriorate. I think we need a bit of oomph on here laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:22 AM