Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Limes Guest House Replacement - London Road, Beneficial new development
On the edge
post Mar 11 2013, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Looks as if we might get a high dependency care unit to replace the Limes Guest House in London Road. Three cheers for that! I'm sure the Limes was good in its day, but I've often felt the existing building set up somewhat weird. The new proposal, which is clearly going to be architect designed as a cohesive whole will undoubtedly improve this part of town - which is still a well used 'gateway'.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2013, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 11 2013, 03:21 PM) *
Looks as if we might get a high dependency care unit to replace the Limes Guest House in London Road. Three cheers for that! I'm sure the Limes was good in its day, but I've often felt the existing building set up somewhat weird. The new proposal, which is clearly going to be architect designed as a cohesive whole will undoubtedly improve this part of town - which is still a well used 'gateway'.

I think a care home is much needed in that area.

+Quote Post
Ron
post Mar 11 2013, 06:16 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (GMR @ Mar 11 2013, 04:19 PM) *
I think a care home is much needed in that area.

What, on the A4 next to the junction with Hambridge Lane, which is going to be the outlet for the houses on the race course, besides the level of traffic alreasdy using it?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2013, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ron @ Mar 11 2013, 06:16 PM) *
What, on the A4 next to the junction with Hambridge Lane, which is going to be the outlet for the houses on the race course, besides the level of traffic alreasdy using it?

I should have also said it is near Turnpike; I hope you get my drift now? wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 11 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ron @ Mar 11 2013, 06:16 PM) *

What more traffic than a guest house, hardly! Seems ideal brownfield development to me. What would you suggest happens? An even bigger hotel? Another supermarket? More houses? - all of these would generate far more traffic and journeys.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Mar 11 2013, 08:39 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 11 2013, 08:06 PM) *
What more traffic than a guest house, hardly! Seems ideal brownfield development to me. What would you suggest happens? An even bigger hotel? Another supermarket? More houses? - all of these would generate far more traffic and journeys.

A shame when a smiley face fails to point the reader in the right direction....... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 11 2013, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 11 2013, 08:06 PM) *

It's hardly the busiest of places anyway. Very few cars use it, it's a weird location, nothing close of use anyway.

I mean, a care home it's a bad location, literally a stones throw from probably the busiest junction in Newbury. Margerie's wheelchair might roll out into the road and cause an accident!

And I feel while it's a "good" use of the space (I mean, if you are going to use that sort of building for anything, it's a good size and has a nice garden area so would be an alright care home) why not turn it into something that actually makes money?
I mean you can stay in the Travelodge in Newbury for less money...

£58 PLUS Vat per night? Don't think so. I had some work done on my car in Barnsley, as it was a lot of fabrication work they needed the car for two days, I booked a Premier Inn which was about a year old, everything perfect as I've always found with Premier Inns (stayed with them loads all over the country on Business) and it cost...
wait for it....

NINETEEN QUID. Why would you pay £70 to stay in a Hotel which is in an odd location with nothing really close to it?

Actually yeah, care home it is. Couldn't think of anything better for it.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 11 2013, 11:13 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

With the traffic flow on the A4 at that point at the moment Margies wheelchair would just cause a dent!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 12 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 11 2013, 10:12 PM) *
It's hardly the busiest of places anyway. Very few cars use it, it's a weird location, nothing close of use anyway.

I mean, a care home it's a bad location, literally a stones throw from probably the busiest junction in Newbury. Margerie's wheelchair might roll out into the road and cause an accident!

And I feel while it's a "good" use of the space (I mean, if you are going to use that sort of building for anything, it's a good size and has a nice garden area so would be an alright care home) why not turn it into something that actually makes money?
I mean you can stay in the Travelodge in Newbury for less money...

£58 PLUS Vat per night? Don't think so. I had some work done on my car in Barnsley, as it was a lot of fabrication work they needed the car for two days, I booked a Premier Inn which was about a year old, everything perfect as I've always found with Premier Inns (stayed with them loads all over the country on Business) and it cost...
wait for it....

NINETEEN QUID. Why would you pay £70 to stay in a Hotel which is in an odd location with nothing really close to it?

Actually yeah, care home it is. Couldn't think of anything better for it.

Was there anything near the Premier Inn? Are they not normally built on industrial estates.

The Limes is only say, 15 minutes from the old Savacentre for instance. Loads of exiting stuff within that radius.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 12 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 12 2013, 09:47 AM) *
Was there anything near the Premier Inn? Are they not normally built on industrial estates.

Not sure that's true, I've stayed in several and they are good value with good restaurant facilities for breakfast and dinner if you don't want to go out. But if your only staying over to break a journey, who cares how isolated they might be.

The plot that the Limes is on is quite big and it's not going to revert to three houses so a care home for dementia patients seems OK to me. As GMR said, it is fairly close to Turnpike so he can just pop down for his treatment.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 12 2013, 08:34 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 12 2013, 06:29 PM) *
Not sure that's true, I've stayed in several and they are good value with good restaurant facilities for breakfast and dinner if you don't want to go out. But if your only staying over to break a journey, who cares how isolated they might be.

The plot that the Limes is on is quite big and it's not going to revert to three houses so a care home for dementia patients seems OK to me. As GMR said, it is fairly close to Turnpike so he can just pop down for his treatment.

exactly - a premier inn is a hotel of necessity, not recreation, and location is often irrelevant, so long as it is close to a main road.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 12 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

The Limes is only say, 15 minutes from the old Savacentre for instance.

Not sure where you mean. I thought Savacentre was by the Theale junction.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 12 2013, 08:39 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 12 2013, 08:36 PM) *

'Motorcitymadhouse' claims the Savacentre is only 15 minutes down the road.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 12 2013, 09:14 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I can get from where I live in Thatcham (which is not on the far edge let me tell you) to Savacentre in 15 minutes...
Google Maps says it's 20 minutes, it's 10 miles from my house (or thereabouts)... Doesn't take a genius to work out that it's more than do-able.
If you want to go shopping there I can take you and you can time it for yourself?

The Limes is only say, 15 minutes from the old Savacentre for instance. Loads of exiting stuff within that radius.

It was Barnsley Central.
Likewise the Newcastle was in Newcastle Central.

The most remote one I've stayed in was probably in Wales but none of them I would consider being built on industrial estates... Never got a single complaint about anything premier inn..

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 12 2013, 09:19 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

It's 16 miles from Saveacentre, so you'd need an average speed of above 60mph to do it in 15 mins.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 12 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 12 2013, 09:19 PM) *
It's 16 miles from Saveacentre, so you'd need an average speed of above 60mph to do it in 15 mins.

On a good day not impossible.

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 12 2013, 09:41 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (GMR @ Mar 12 2013, 09:35 PM) *
On a good day not impossible.
The speed limit for much of the road is 60mph or lower.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 12 2013, 09:41 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 12 2013, 08:36 PM) *

Andy Capp is correct - MM said he could get to Savacentre in 15 mins.....

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 12 2013, 09:44 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 12 2013, 09:14 PM) *
I can get from where I live in Thatcham (which is not on the far edge let me tell you) to Savacentre in 15 minutes...
Google Maps says it's 20 minutes, it's 10 miles from my house (or thereabouts)... Doesn't take a genius to work out that it's more than do-able.
If you want to go shopping there I can take you and you can time it for yourself?

It was Barnsley Central.
Likewise the Newcastle was in Newcastle Central.

The most remote one I've stayed in was probably in Wales but none of them I would consider being built on industrial estates... Never got a single complaint about anything premier inn..

at least you don't have to pay to park at The Limes.....

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 12 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Newcastle Parking was like £5 for a week, not bad at all considering it was city centre. Barnsley well I left the car at the workshop so was irrelevant, I have just gotten back from another Premier Inn excusion and that was free to park. The one in Wales I went to was also free to park.

Those which are pay-to-park are normally where they share a car park with other offices and you get a discounted (normally 50% off) rate on parking.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:24 AM