Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sainsbury's new car park
Hugh Saskin
post Jun 20 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 37

Anyone else tried the top deck yet? Felt a bit portakabin-ish there but really liked the escalator and the way trolleys are magnetically locked to them. Whatever next - except that the ramp is, so they tell me, electrically heated.

Enter the whingers.....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 21 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jun 21 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 21 2009, 03:36 PM) *

Hi tech stuff, here GMR - thanks. Did you go aloft yourself?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 21 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jun 21 2009, 03:59 PM) *
Hi tech stuff, here GMR - thanks. Did you go aloft yourself?

Hi,

No... but maybe next time I'll take my bike up there. laugh.gif

I did notice the new escalators inside Sainsbury's. It seems it will be a very good store.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 21 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #5

Guests

The contractors have been excellent there.

If only all this kind of work could be done as intelligently as this.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 21 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 21 2009, 07:21 PM) *

I agree; Sainsbury's pay the best and expect good service. WBC pay the minimum and also expect top service. You get what you pay for at the end of the day.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jun 21 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 21 2009, 07:21 PM) *

Yes, it's as if the work has been going on without anyone really noticing and then, suddenly, most of the top deck of a new car park is ready for use only a few months after it all started. Fair play to them and fair play to JS for giving free parking - have occasionally had to convince visitors to Newbury that this is the case, they tend to assume there must be a charge.

+Quote Post
J C
post Jun 24 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

after walking to Sainsburys today it seems that drivers have now forgotten what a zebra crossing is, I got several filthy looks and even one driver honked his horn in anger while I was trying to cross the road

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (J C @ Jun 24 2009, 07:16 PM) *
after walking to Sainsburys today it seems that drivers have now forgotten what a zebra crossing is, I got several filthy looks and even one driver honked his horn in anger while I was trying to cross the road

Did you know that the zebra crossing on Sainsbury's car park is private property, therefore is no legal standing.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 24 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Having tried it once, I don't think I'll be using the upper deck very often. I found it very frustrating having to stand still on the travelator with my trolley's wheels firmly locked. (I also get a bit annoyed with people whose legs stop working once they get on the escalator in M&S - but I guess that's classed as a "rant" smile.gif )

And at the risk of seeming to moan (would I ever??) I can't understand why some people here suggest the changes to the car park have gone on largely unnoticed - it's been a nightmare negotiating it for the past several weeks. Though it's going to be great when it's finished, and I agree the upper deck seems to be appearing as if by magic.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jun 24 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 24 2009, 08:01 PM) *
Having tried it once, I don't think I'll be using the upper deck very often. I found it very frustrating having to stand still on the travelator with my trolley's wheels firmly locked. (I also get a bit annoyed with people whose legs stop working once they get on the escalator in M&S - but I guess that's classed as a "rant" smile.gif )

And at the risk of seeming to moan (would I ever??) I can't understand why some people here suggest the changes to the car park have gone on largely unnoticed - it's been a nightmare negotiating it for the past several weeks. Though it's going to be great when it's finished, and I agree the upper deck seems to be appearing as if by magic.

Honestly never found a problem, must say Jeff, so perhaps it's just the times of the day and the two or so days of the week I go shopping. At least there are no bollards there, only pillars to hit. The top deck will be a bit chilly in wintertime, mind.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 07:33 PM) *
Did you know that the zebra crossing on Sainsbury's car park is private property, therefore is no legal standing.

I'm not sure that is strictly true. I remember once reading how under certain circumstances people can be prosecuted (sued?) for speeding on private land if it is a highway that is used by the public. Perhaps there might be some mechanism similar to this for the crossing points in a car park.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jun 24 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 08:17 PM) *
I'm not sure that is strictly true. I remember once reading how under certain circumstances people can be prosecuted (sued?) for speeding on private land if it is a highway that is used by the public. Perhaps there might be some mechanism similar to this for the crossing points in a car park.

Yeah, and I'm going back 30 odd years here - I remember a barrister telling us then that the acts and omissions of motorists on a private road to which the public had access could be construed in the same way as if it was a public highway when it came to claims. I assume public car parks would come into this category. Any shyster lawyer care to put us right?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jun 24 2009, 08:39 PM) *
...Any shyster lawyer care to put us right?
Nicely put! laugh.gif (sorry for the spam, but I just had to put that in).

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 08:17 PM) *

I was told this by a police officer - a highway patrol officer a few years ago.

+Quote Post
Richard Head
post Jun 24 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 69

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 21 2009, 08:16 PM) *
I agree; Sainsbury's pay the best and expect good service. WBC pay the minimum and also expect top service. You get what you pay for at the end of the day.
I don't think WBC should be spending our Council Tax on more expensive contractors.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Head @ Jun 24 2009, 09:35 PM) *
I don't think WBC should be spending our Council Tax on more expensive contractors.

Then you must accept what you get.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 09:08 PM) *
I was told this by a police officer - a highway patrol officer a few years ago.

An area where a policeman has no jurisdiction is not the same thing as "no standing in law". I would accept that ignoring apparent highway road signs and markings on private land is not endorsable.

Sorry everyone, but I have just realise this has gone way off topic!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 11:20 PM) *
An area where a policeman has no jurisdiction is not the same thing as "no standing in law".

I can only repeat what I was told. Of course if somebody hit somebody whether they are on a zebra crossing or not then that is a different matter, however, they can't take it into consideration because the victim was on a zebra crossing on private land.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jun 25 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 24 2009, 08:01 PM) *

Grumpy old man rant coming! I am right with you on those travelators Jeff. There is one at Ikea down in Southampton and I recently got stuck behind a whole family blocking the way and the travelators there go up/down about 4 floors, I think it took about 10 mins to get in. And it is worse at airports where you have those travelators but if you get stuck behind people who don't want to walk you find people who are not on it walking past!!! People are so lazy and it is no wonder there are a lot of porkers out there.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:51 PM