IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A stadium for Newbury?, Victoria Park Pavilion - trying again!
On the edge
post Aug 4 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

As the last attempt at this topic wandered off the path and over a cliff - I thought I'd try again!

Last Saturday Victoria Park was full to overflowing and a large number of people were enjoying all the facilities. Whilst I'm quite ambivalent about having a pavilion - it would take some of the park away. Walking under the A34 bridge, and looking at the moribund Football Club, it struck me that we might be able to answer the pavilion issue and help ourselves to an even bigger park and facility.

Could we not build a mini stadium on the site of the Football Club? Say a terraced amphitheatre - terraced stands / seating with a green pitch / performance area in front?
The 'pavilion' could then be sited under the terracing. Built using modern prefabricated construction methods, this need not be very expensive.

It would give us a great dual purpose facility. Of course, could still be used for Football as well. At same time, would tidy up the area and naturally extend Victoria Park.

Just a thought - any other views?

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 4 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Come on now children, let's try and keep on track with this one this time!! wink.gif

Personally I agree with you OTE.
This plan would keep the green expanse of Victoria Park and renovate what is an outdated and, to be quite honest, ugly building and area.

Is it up to the Council to decide?
Or if not who could move this one forward?
(I presume the major drawback is that the Football Club is on private land?)

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 4 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 4 2011, 10:59 PM) *
(I presume the major drawback is that the Football Club is on private land?)

All WBC I believe.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 4 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It seems like a good idea, but two things stand out: the football side would be a drain as it isn't very popular here, and the location probably doesn't fit comfortably in the 2025 vision.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 4 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 4 2011, 11:06 PM) *
All WBC I believe.

I stand corrected.
This idea seems good then with a much improved connection between the pavilion and the Park via the A339 river bridge.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 4 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 4 2011, 11:08 PM) *
It seems like a good idea, but two things stand out: the football side would be a drain as it isn't very popular here, and the location probably doesn't fit comfortably in the 2025 vision.

Oh well - nice idea!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 4 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 4 2011, 10:41 PM) *
As the last attempt at this topic wandered off the path and over a cliff - I thought I'd try again!

Last Saturday Victoria Park was full to overflowing and a large number of people were enjoying all the facilities. Whilst I'm quite ambivalent about having a pavilion - it would take some of the park away. Walking under the A34 bridge, and looking at the moribund Football Club, it struck me that we might be able to answer the pavilion issue and help ourselves to an even bigger park and facility.

Could we not build a mini stadium on the site of the Football Club? Say a terraced amphitheatre - terraced stands / seating with a green pitch / performance area in front?
The 'pavilion' could then be sited under the terracing. Built using modern prefabricated construction methods, this need not be very expensive.

It would give us a great dual purpose facility. Of course, could still be used for Football as well. At same time, would tidy up the area and naturally extend Victoria Park.

Just a thought - any other views?

I agree, it sounds a good idea. We also must remember that Newbury and surrounding areas is growing so this sort of idea would be very popular. As a football fan myself I like the idea.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 4 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #8

Guests

I think it's a great idea.

Football is as popular here as in any town and the fact that Hungerford Thatcham Kintbury Lambourn etc all have league teams and Newbury hasn't for few years now is a big disappointment.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 4 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Newbury has a league team - admittedly in a pretty low league but ...

The trouble with the idea is that it does not involve building something in the corner of the park. Our local visionary has deemed this a necessity for the perfection of his design for our town. I suspect he doesn't really care what the building is used for - just as long as there is a building there to provide the balance he feels is needed to complement the rest of his designs surrounding the park.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 4 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

What's this? Some sort of Newbury re-enactment of a Kevin Costner film? "Build it and they will come..."? It's no good having facilities like a new stadium if there's nothing decent to watch, as the paying punters won't turn up... (and someone has to pay for the lights and maintenance)

A bit 'chicken and egg' I know but Newbury Rugby Club have found this out to their cost. They have (in national terms) played at a far higher level then Newbury FC have ever played at. At one stage (and for a few seasons) playing in the league just under the Premiership. New facilities and decent opposition to watch. Pre-season games against Premiership sides... yet Newbury sports fans were not engaged and either continued to disappear off to Reading to watch London Irish or just didn't bother at all.

The same is true of the football. Plenty play it I grant you, but if locals want to watch it they go off to Reading and that's why Newbury FC couldn't sustain itself.

Of course the 2,000 new homes at Sandleford may change the demographic of the town, but as a rugby fan I'd rather see those new Newbury residents being encouraged to walk along Monks Lane to the rugby club and reviving the club as it would be closer for them.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 5 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Didn't RG have some idea about relocating the football club?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 5 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Aug 5 2011, 12:12 AM) *
Football is as popular here as in any town and the fact that Hungerford Thatcham Kintbury Lambourn etc all have league teams and Newbury hasn't for few years now is a big disappointment.

There seems to be some contradiction in that statement.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 5 2011, 07:08 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Aug 5 2011, 12:12 AM) *
I think it's a great idea.

When was the last time you went to see Newbury play? Every time I've been there were only a handful of people there.

There's no point building a stadium if it can't be sustained.
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 5 2011, 01:08 AM) *
Didn't RG have some idea about relocating the football club?
Who's RG? wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 6 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

On the comments which rightly suggest there is no point in building a stadium if no one is going to use it. Quite right - but exactly the same applies to the pavilion and did apply to the 'skate ramp'. Goes without saying a more formal analysis would need to be done. Dare I also suggest that sometimes, particularly where the investment can be low - what is delivered can kick start all sorts of other initiatives after delivery so to speak.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 6 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 6 2011, 01:23 PM) *
On the comments which rightly suggest there is no point in building a stadium if no one is going to use it. Quite right - but exactly the same applies to the pavilion and did apply to the 'skate ramp'. Goes without saying a more formal analysis would need to be done. Dare I also suggest that sometimes, particularly where the investment can be low - what is delivered can kick start all sorts of other initiatives after delivery so to speak.
The pavilion is different in that the Waterside is already well used and it would be a replacement for it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 6 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 6 2011, 05:47 PM) *
The pavilion is different in that the Waterside is already well used and it would be a replacement for it.

I don't think so - have never seen any published figures. Actually, when it was originally constructed - the concept was quite different and has actually drifted over the years.

I added the original post simply to float an idea - not publish a fully justified proposal. That would take time and effort which would be wasted unless there is some flicker of enthusiasm. As you rightly suggest - to go further would be pointless.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Aug 6 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 6 2011, 05:47 PM) *

If the Newbury few insist we must have a Pavillion Pigeon Loft then the football club side of the bridge would be better than in Victoria Park. Road access for construction, parking when no football on etc, far better all round.

I realise we must have a Pigeon Loft somewhere, now all this design work has been carried out, even if the majority say no! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Aug 7 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

Wasn't the plan to flatten as much of that area as they could get away with so as to build the "Newbury Plaza"?

Plaza still on.

Can't see the hotel, shops and 160 houses putting up with football supporters going past their front doors. That's not exactly going to be a strong selling point is it?

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 7 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Aug 7 2011, 05:34 PM) *
Wasn't the plan to flatten as much of that area as they could get away with so as to build the "Newbury Plaza"?

Plaza still on.

Can't see the hotel, shops and 160 houses putting up with football supporters going past their front doors. That's not exactly going to be a strong selling point is it?
Oh, I don't know. Most large modern football stadia have hotels, conference facilities and more these days. Highbury was even turned into flats, with Ashburton Grove not too greater distance round the corner.

Perhaps this might not work so well for Newbury FC, as their attendance at some matches is so low it wouldn't be enough to fill all 160 houses.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 7 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Aug 7 2011, 05:34 PM) *

Not unless you know something we don't. The Plaza site is well away from the football ground:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:47 PM