Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lorry Crash A34 15/02/12, NWN Article
desres123
post Feb 16 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,528

In response to an article in the NWN and comments from Mr Hollister saying enough is enough. A 50 mph speed limit is not the answer.

If he got his facts right the majority of HGV's are restricted to 50 mph. Maybe he should be wrighting to the police to enquire why they are not patroling the A34 on a more regular basis and educating drivers that there are 2 lanes available to use not just lane 2.

So changing the speed limit to 50 mph will not improve the road only just cause more congestion and more accidents
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 16 2012, 10:43 AM
Post #2

Guests

So basically discussing everything in this thread. Agreeing with me in general though, so that's OK, I won't complain.

These bloody lorryists can cause so many problems for everyone. We should ban them like they do in France at the weekends and holidays from using the dual carridgeways. Everyone needs a bit of a break, even lorryists. After all the abduction of working girls with low self esteem and their prompt murder means that yes, everyone needs to have a break.

+Quote Post
desres123
post Feb 16 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 16 2012, 10:43 AM) *
So basically discussing everything in this thread. Agreeing with me in general though, so that's OK, I won't complain.

These bloody lorryists can cause so many problems for everyone. We should ban them like they do in France at the weekends and holidays from using the dual carridgeways. Everyone needs a bit of a break, even lorryists. After all the abduction of working girls with low self esteem and their prompt murder means that yes, everyone needs to have a break.

I did not say HGV's should be banned as most of the time it is not the lorry at fault as most of the time they are in lane 1 and if in lane 2 will move back to lane 1 once they have overtaken unlike car/van drivers. Not sure where abduction of working girls come in to this???

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 16 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #4

Guests

I did not say you said lorries should be banned. Hence why I put the suggestion forward. Some people really don't understand this.
Am I talking in German or something? DAS AUTO MIT MEINEM LASTWAGEN ON DA AUTOBAHN GEFARHT IM MEINER way(dunno the word for "way" in German)

The lorry is at fault generally, because they pull out infront of cars doing 80mph while doing 50 without regard for the distance of which the car is. It's happened to me plenty of times and I've had to apply my foot to the central of my 3 pedals without haste nor brutality.
Are you a lorryist yourself?

+Quote Post
desres123
post Feb 16 2012, 11:31 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 16 2012, 11:12 AM) *
I did not say you said lorries should be banned. Hence why I put the suggestion forward. Some people really don't understand this.
Am I talking in German or something? DAS AUTO MIT MEINEM LASTWAGEN ON DA AUTOBAHN GEFARHT IM MEINER way(dunno the word for "way" in German)

The lorry is at fault generally, because they pull out infront of cars doing 80mph while doing 50 without regard for the distance of which the car is. It's happened to me plenty of times and I've had to apply my foot to the central of my 3 pedals without haste nor brutality.
Are you a lorryist yourself?

No I am not a lorryist as you put. Maybe you are one of the many car drivers I hate who insist in driving in lane 2 regardless that they are overtaking or not. I also hate to point out that the speed limit is 70 mph not 80 and if a lorry does need to use lane 2 then you will need to apply abit of the brakes.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Feb 16 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (desres123 @ Feb 16 2012, 11:31 AM) *
No I am not a lorryist as you put. Maybe you are one of the many car drivers I hate who insist in driving in lane 2 regardless that they are overtaking or not. I also hate to point out that the speed limit is 70 mph not 80 and if a lorry does need to use lane 2 then you will need to apply abit of the brakes.

As far as I am aware lorries are still banned from the overtaking lane (lane 2) during the daytime on the hill by East Ilsley. Hence any lorry overtaking in that lane is doing so illegally. Please do correct me if I am wrong though.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 16 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Feb 16 2012, 11:51 AM) *
As far as I am aware lorries are still banned from the overtaking lane (lane 2) during the daytime on the hill by East Ilsley. Hence any lorry overtaking in that lane is doing so illegally. Please do correct me if I am wrong though.

Only northbound.
This latest incident was southbound, near the brow of Gore Hill

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Feb 16 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

OK we are back to the theoretics of driving courtesy. Lorries are big, a car is smaller
and badgers and cyclists have no chance.

2 lane main roads are tricky if they are on a busy route.
I can repeat a comment I made some time ago about runflats and sticking to 50 mph.
Scary in the extreme.

As a car driver I am no saint on motorways.I avoided a court appearance a few years ago by 1mph
I do respect Average Speed areas though.
Also in villages I like to pootle. Peter Hain was done a few weeks back in his Welsh Constituency village.

Back to the main point... is that despite overtaking lorries in a long line I leave a huge gap.
One of them will certainly have to pull out. I know it annoys other drivers Most of the comrades in the BMW lane
are doing 90 anyway. There should be a "big fat tailgating by slower drivers" programme as an
alternative to Police Interceptors chasing yoofs.
ce

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 16 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #9

Guests

C.e I do really like your thinking. Always makes me nod and chuckle simultaneously, normally you are spot on. Lucky on the court appearance. I luckily avoided a court appearance by running away from the police very fast. I was on my bike on that wonderful last sunny weekend in October in 2010, I was testing the quick shifter on my Triumph and accidentally may have strayed over the speed limit by a large percentile. I had a small number plate and by the time the police coming in the opposite direction had turned around I was long gone. unsure.gif

You seem like a very angry and upset little man. Small wonder you signed up for these forums. I suppose you are what they call a "driver of heavy goods" or a "logistical road controller" or whatever fancy word they use.
Do you need a cuddle? I can recommend Karamel, she's quite good and reasonably priced. I have her on retainer. I am available for free but I would expect dinner as well.

Maybe you are one of those young children I threw my dog poo at when I was younger, because when you are all growed up you become intollerably miserable.

I am actually very good with lane discipline, regardless of whether I am overtaking or not. Much to the annoying nagging of the elders I often ride with who do not use the correct lane. "use the left hand lane you pillock". No-one likes being told what to do especially by someone younger than them, especially if the person who is younger is correct.
That's the beauty of living in a democracy, I have the choice to do 80mph which I do. If you disapprove please complain to your local representative. I did 85 once, boy that was exciting. I also did 135 with a car full of friends while racing an Audi S3 (I lost but not by as much as you'd expect, plus the Audi only had 1 friend in the car and I had 3).

Lorryists do unfortunately pull out infront of you as NothingMuch said in his post and you can try to mitigate the problem. I was in the car with someone who was doing a questionably large speed on the A34 and a lorry driver pulled out infront of us, just as we were about to pass it. The lorryist did this because he felt the "might is right" and as we went past him as he returned to his lane after 3 minutes (he was overtaking another lorry) he gave us a look as if to say it was our fault. I made a friendly gesticulation and we proceeded on our merry way.

+Quote Post
Scott Donnelly
post Feb 16 2012, 01:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,595

Thank you Admin for validating my account.

Hello all, I have enjoyed reading the topics regarding the A34.

A little about myself, I am a Road Safety Inspector for the Highways Agency.
My routes are;
M4, Junction 5 - 15
A34 Tot Hill Services - M40 Junction 9

Anything I do discuss on the forum is NOT on behalf of the Highways Agency and are my own words and opinions.

I attended the HGV Traffic Collision which occurred yesterday morning, resulting in a huge fuel spillage (600 litres to be precise).

I do agree with most of you that the A34 is probably one of the most dangerous trunk roads in the south of England. Due to it's high demand for all vehicles connecting the Midlands to important parts such as the Southampton Docks.

Reading through you comments I personally agree with the majority that state a 50mph limit will not help. There is a 50mph restriction through the Oxford Junction. This is predominately because of the very short slip roads on and off of the A34.

I personally believe most incidents are not due to speed, but due to other factors like lack of concentration, etc etc.

When incidents do occur, traffic is severely disrupted due to the suitability of diversion routes for heavier vehicles. Resulting in stand still traffic for long periods of time.

I strongly believe another lane will not be added to make the M34, because this would result in having to buy land from farmers and the movement of structures, which takes a painfully long time. But the most important factor would be money. In this economic climate, it's just not possible.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 16 2012, 02:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 16 2012, 12:37 PM) *
Do you need a cuddle? I can recommend Karamel, she's quite good and reasonably priced.

Now I understand your interest on motorcycles.

I hate average speed zones. They are so stressful. I remember driving through a 16 mile one once, and by the time I came out of it, I was ready to kill!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Feb 16 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Thanks xjay. I was doing 120 before heroically coming to a grinding stop @95. Who would "of "thought
a camera van would be out over an empty road as England played in the World Cup.

Nice to see a new poster registering views. My wife worked for many years on policy matters
on behalf of utilities. It started off as a group to decide colours for new pipes.

She would chair meetings between Highways,Local Authorities, TFL.
And Thatcham Road Research.

She was perplexed that the delegate(head girl). From Thatcham would arrive and promptly fall asleep.
Maybe a visit to the Mill House pub thread could have been the answer.
ce

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 16 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #13

Guests

And Handicapped has the cheek to tell me I am the one with the speed affliction and need to slow down. Even the people on their more mature years enjoy some 100+ cruising from time to time. He must have pulled the short straw that day, even I who dislike Football will watch England in the world cup. I like watching a cartoon character running around the pitch (Shrek) and how useless they really are.

Oh, welcome along Scott. Nice to have the INFORMED opinion of someone for a change. I also agree in your prediction that another lane will not be created. For slightly different reasons, I for one believe the council-dash-relevant authority are too stingy to do what is actually required.
All motorways should be 4 lanes really, all dual carridgeways with the density of requirements of the A34 should be 3 at the least. But lest it shant be completed.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 16 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 16 2012, 02:59 PM) *
And Handicapped has the cheek to tell me I am the one with the speed affliction and need to slow down.

You have and do; what is wrong with that idea?

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Feb 16 2012, 03:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (Scott Donnelly @ Feb 16 2012, 01:41 PM) *
I do agree with most of you that the A34 is probably one of the most dangerous trunk roads in the south of England. Due to it's high demand for all vehicles connecting the Midlands to important parts such as the Southampton Docks.

The HA seem to claim that there is no problem with the road, it would be good if you could escalate your opinions within HA to raise awareness and get the ball rolling within HA.

QUOTE (Scott Donnelly @ Feb 16 2012, 01:41 PM) *
Reading through you comments I personally agree with the majority that state a 50mph limit will not help. There is a 50mph restriction through the Oxford Junction. This is predominately because of the very short slip roads on and off of the A34.

I personally believe most incidents are not due to speed, but due to other factors like lack of concentration, etc etc.

In the experience of us local yokels, this is not the typical accident we see. Most are cars, and cars vs. lorries. But it would be interesting to see if you could get the HA to publish a list of the accidents attended by the HA, their cause and their impact on the local community. I know this is only a part of the story (police, insurance and non-reported account for the rest), but it's a good start.

I would also be interested In your unofficial opinion on how often do you attend incidents on the A34 from the M4 to B4494 (roughly the ox/berk border) and what types have you attended?

Lastly, what's your opinion on the variable speed limit proposed i.e. speed only reduces when there is a risk (such as two slow lorries over taking each other)?

+Quote Post
desres123
post Feb 16 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 16 2012, 02:59 PM) *
Oh, welcome along Scott. Nice to have the INFORMED opinion of someone for a change. I also agree in your prediction that another lane will not be created. For slightly different reasons, I for one believe the council-dash-relevant authority are too stingy to do what is actually required.
All motorways should be 4 lanes really, all dual carridgeways with the density of requirements of the A34 should be 3 at the least. But lest it shant be completed.

So you reckon all motorways should be 4 lanes and dual carriegways with enough traffic volume should be 3 lanes. Once thats been done you will be saying 5 lanes will be needed for motorways and 4 lanes for dual carriageways. So you might as well be done with it and tarmac over the entire country

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 16 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 16 2012, 03:17 PM) *
You have and do; what is wrong with that idea?

That it's deeply flawed and based upon no sort of proof or clue of how I actually drive. Please, catch me speeding in a 30 or a 40 or a built up area. I will openly bet anyone £10 that they will not be able to. Most of you know what car I have (or can figure it out) so if you catch me driving you need to quickly use your phone to make a video, state your usename and have your speedo visible and then my car and you not gaining or losing ground. I will then drop £10 to your house in bags of 10p. (it would probably be a £10 note or 2 £5s, depends what my dealer has going at the time)

I should also add a point I forgot to mention earlier (I do that a lot, say something and then want to "edit" it later. Like you can do that with a real life conversation. rolleyes.gif )

I also hate to point out that the speed limit is 70 mph not 80 and if a lorry does need to use lane 2 then you will need to apply abit of the brakes.

So wait, you're saying that if you're doing 70 or 80 or in fact any speed over 57mph, you will in actual need to apply the brakes..... So thus the fact that I may or may not be speeding (obviously not) is irrelevant to the fact there are a significant minority of lorry drivers who will pull out in front of faster moving vehicles without due care.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 16 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (desres123 @ Feb 16 2012, 04:18 PM) *
So you reckon all motorways should be 4 lanes and dual carriegways with enough traffic volume should be 3 lanes. Once thats been done you will be saying 5 lanes will be needed for motorways and 4 lanes for dual carriageways. So you might as well be done with it and tarmac over the entire country

Yes, I think if you look at the 4 lanes of the M25 the flow is actually pretty nice, and there's a lot more room and generally less tailgaiting. There's a client I sometimes go to see (work related not massage) and that involves a nice trip halfway around the M25 and the 4 lanes are very nice, even in rush hour.
But however you take my idea and run with it (HAR HAR HAR) and no, there would be a point where it's not efficient or needed to add extra lanes. 4 lanes on the motorways would WORK and reduce congestion but widening would not be worth it if hob-nobs (guess what part the emphasis of that is on) sit in the 2nd or 3rd lanes doing 65 in their CRAPPY P-reg Mondeo. Normally it's a woman who is sat so close to the wheel she could literally lick it, or an old person who is barely able to see over the steering wheel and stares blanky through their vari-focals about 4 ft infront of their car, completely oblivious to what's gwarning in the mirrors.

Unfortunately driving back from say, Maidenhead, on the M4 in rush hour (HE IS ME, AND I AM YOU) is absolute ****, sort of like having to spend the day at a family get together before I "pretend" something awful has happened (like when my hamster committed suicide but that was true) and leave as soon as possible. So yes for example 4 lanes on the M4 would be great (especially the area known as the "M4 corridor" and the A34 to 3 lanes, however as mentioned the A34 will very unlikely get put to 3 lanes. It's almost as much probability of me woo'ing Rihanna. And god knows I have tried, the letters, the phone calls, the restraining orders, nothing works.

I just realised, the 4 letter word begining with H and ending in "ell" is censored... why? sad.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 16 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 16 2012, 04:22 PM) *
That it's deeply flawed and based upon no sort of proof or clue of how I actually drive.

Yes it is.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 16 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 16 2012, 05:13 PM) *
Yes it is.

Pics or it did not happen. Except for those pictures when I was caught quite literally with my trousers down.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:34 PM