IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury shoppers, where have they gone?
Bartholomew
post Dec 1 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 261

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 1 2012, 11:37 AM) *
I don't think you can count figures for one bit of town over another. Are you suggesting that people who are counted in the KC only wander around there & no-where else? Newbury is a small place & even fro mthe Broadway to the Railway Station is only about a mile.

I'd be very surprised if people only went to one area on a shopping visit to town ( ie not including lunch time trips to the post office or bank etc ).

Try reading how the survey is taken. It is a snapshot (12 minutes over the total period) and then multiplied a predefined factor. Any other way would make the whole survey invalid for the reasons you mention.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 2 2012, 02:37 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Dec 1 2012, 07:25 PM) *
Try reading how the survey is taken. It is a snapshot (12 minutes over the total period) and then multiplied a predefined factor. Any other way would make the whole survey invalid for the reasons you mention.

so a total waste of time then

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 2 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 30 2012, 09:21 PM) *
I can park for free outside Scats, but that isn't a reason for me to go there often.

Well, that isn't surprising. I don't often go to Scats either.

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Dec 2 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 2 2012, 02:37 PM) *
so a total waste of time then

If you mean your post then a lot would agree with you.
If you mean the survey then it certainly gives an indication of where people were in Newbury on those days. As I said most were (in order of numbers) Northbrook Street, Kennet Centre next and then Parkway.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 2 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Dec 2 2012, 05:47 PM) *
If you mean your post then a lot would agree with you.
If you mean the survey then it certainly gives an indication of where people were in Newbury on those days. As I said most were (in order of numbers) Northbrook Street, Kennet Centre next and then Parkway.

A twelve minute idea of where people were. Big deal.

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Dec 2 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 2 2012, 07:18 PM) *
A twelve minute idea of where people were. Big deal.

Not a statistician then? This is how most traffic and usage surveys are done. Samples are taken and used to establish patterns. A snapshot taken 12 times in six hours in Newbury over three days gives a good idea of what is happening. The results were very consistent over the three days showing that the samples were reasonably accurate.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 2 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Dec 2 2012, 08:00 PM) *
Not a statistician then? This is how most traffic and usage surveys are done. Samples are taken and used to establish patterns. A snapshot taken 12 times in six hours in Newbury over three days gives a good idea of what is happening. The results were very consistent over the three days showing that the samples were reasonably accurate.

Just remember this data only pertains to footfall not shoppers. Someone working in Newbury could walk through Northbrook Street four times in a day. Even if people were counted going into individual shops it does not mean that they actually purchased anything. The only true way to know if people are using the shops is if the shops manage to survive.

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Dec 3 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 2 2012, 08:25 PM) *
Just remember this data only pertains to footfall not shoppers. Someone working in Newbury could walk through Northbrook Street four times in a day. Even if people were counted going into individual shops it does not mean that they actually purchased anything. The only true way to know if people are using the shops is if the shops manage to survive.

Agreed. These stats only show how many people were counted not what they were doing. I wonder what the figures are at the Retail Park. This is footfall (and revenue) lost to the town centre.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 3 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Dec 3 2012, 12:09 PM) *
Agreed. These stats only show how many people were counted not what they were doing. I wonder what the figures are at the Retail Park. This is footfall (and revenue) lost to the town centre.

It's tyrefall up there.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:52 AM