IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury shoppers, where have they gone?
dannyboy
post Nov 30 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Nov 30 2012, 12:47 PM) *
The point here is that there are now more retailers in Newbury than there were pre Parkway. I would have expected the footfall to have increased if the scheme was successful. From a retailers view it means that each one now has less potential custom. If I were a retailer I wouldn't be happy.

It is too early to judge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 30 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 30 2012, 12:57 PM) *
It is too early to judge.

If you look through the documentation, the detailed breakdown is there. Debenhams and John Lewis have some of the worst figures in the whole town, hence why John Lewis demanded a meeting with Parkway recently. Regardless of why and how Parkway was built we must support it where possible and encourage others to use it to. I don't like all of the shops there, but I'd rather have any shops than no shops!!!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 30 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 30 2012, 01:58 PM) *
If you look through the documentation, the detailed breakdown is there. Debenhams and John Lewis have some of the worst figures in the whole town, hence why John Lewis demanded a meeting with Parkway recently. Regardless of why and how Parkway was built we must support it where possible and encourage others to use it to. I don't like all of the shops there, but I'd rather have any shops than no shops!!!

Andy Capp's link provides no breakdown.

+Quote Post
John C
post Nov 30 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,022

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 30 2012, 01:58 PM) *

Why should I support a shop that I don't think should be there in a precinct that should not have been built in the way it was.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 30 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Gosh, this post has taken off since my initial comment.

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 30 2012, 10:35 AM) *
We are both reading the same graph, but please read my previous post again. rolleyes.gif

Work started on Parkway in March 2009, then it was around 24,000 and it was inevitable that footfall would drop so I have ignored the period for the build. It would be wrong to judge footfall in that period. When Parkway opened, footfall soared to a peak of 27,000, but it is back down to 24,000, the preParkway development level. The point is, Parkway should be bringing in more footfall.

First off, there is no need to roll your eyes at me, thank you.

Why do you assume that the building of Parkway had any effect on the drop in footfall from 24,000 to around 21,000, why was it inevitable, and why is it statistically valid to ignore that period?

Isn't footfall measured on the whole of the central Newbury shopping area? The Park Way development is at one end of that area.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 30 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

If you look at the October 2012 spreadsheet, I believe one of the tabs shows the breakdown. As for Parkway being built in the first place, I don't accept that it should have been built the way it was and I certainly don't agree with the back room deals that were done. This being said, I'd much rather have the shops that are there than no shops at all. Some people think if Parkway fails, the buildings will go and the old hardstanding car park will return. As much as some people would love this utopia to return, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. Worst case scenario will be loads of empty retail units with housing above it. Surely nobody wants that??

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Nov 30 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 30 2012, 04:03 PM) *
If you look at the October 2012 spreadsheet, I believe one of the tabs shows the breakdown. As for Parkway being built in the first place, I don't accept that it should have been built the way it was and I certainly don't agree with the back room deals that were done. This being said, I'd much rather have the shops that are there than no shops at all. Some people think if Parkway fails, the buildings will go and the old hardstanding car park will return. As much as some people would love this utopia to return, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. Worst case scenario will be loads of empty retail units with housing above it. Surely nobody wants that??

You have more faith in human natire than I. Some on this forum would love PW to fail just to say 'I told you so'.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 30 2012, 05:08 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Nov 30 2012, 04:26 PM) *
You have more faith in human natire than I. Some on this forum would love PW to fail just to say 'I told you so'.

Exactly right, but if that ever did happen, Newbury would be much worse for it. There should be some real investigations into why and how Parkway ended up the way it did, but that ship has sailed and it's been built. Being bitter about it won't change anything.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 30 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I find Newbury quite boring. If people have transport they go to Basingstoke, Reading or something else close by (like Newbury retail park). I go to London quite a lot. I like the variety. To be honest what have we got that is exciting? We've got a lot of coffee shops, restaurants and the shops that are in every town (like WHSmiths, Sainsbury's etc).

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 30 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Nov 30 2012, 04:26 PM) *

I wouldn't like PW to fail, but I would like some more shops in there.

+Quote Post
NewburyP
post Nov 30 2012, 05:34 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 5,181

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 30 2012, 06:23 PM) *
I wouldn't like PW to fail, but I would like some more shops in there.

I think the illuminated globe looks good.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Nov 30 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (NewburyP @ Nov 30 2012, 05:34 PM) *
I think the illuminated globe looks good.

What, like Superman?

+Quote Post
NewburyP
post Nov 30 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 5,181

QUOTE (Penelope @ Nov 30 2012, 06:36 PM) *
What, like Superman?

Wasn't thinking about that but now you mention it....

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 30 2012, 05:44 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 30 2012, 04:03 PM) *
Worst case scenario will be loads of empty retail units with housing above it. Surely nobody wants that??

Long before that they will add the inevitable roof as they have in every other roofless development in the area.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Nov 30 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (NewburyP @ Nov 30 2012, 05:42 PM) *
Wasn't thinking about that but now you mention it....

Not currently any where near a phone box are you?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 30 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I really like the Park Way design and concept, for me, it fits and sits well with the rest of the town. However, fully appreciate Andy Capp's point. Even though he didn't want it, now its here, he really does want it to succeed. After all, its our town! That's probably the view of a good many Newbury people. We aren't doing too badly in Newbury compared to many other towns, which if we are honest, is probably down to the continued population growth. Nevertheless, the environment for retail is very hard at the moment and traders need all the help they can get. That's not pumping sunshine rather explaining where things can be improved and made better.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 30 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 30 2012, 03:14 PM) *
First off, there is no need to roll your eyes at me, thank you.

Well stop coming out with cheeky comments like...

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 30 2012, 10:06 AM) *
I think you must be looking at a different graph to me.

...and I will.

Why do you assume that the building of Parkway had any effect on the drop in footfall from 24,000 to around 21,000, why was it inevitable, and why is it statistically valid to ignore that period?

Because it was my post and I am able to post what I like. Also, removing a large and popular car park is bound to impact footfall, not notwithstanding other works going. Also, ask anyone to comment on footfall over a protracted period, and I am very sure they would say that footfall is expected to drop whenever there is a big development going on. People would have found Newbury harder to access at the time as people competed for reduced car parking spaces, not to mention any road closures.

Isn't footfall measured on the whole of the central Newbury shopping area? The Park Way development is at one end of that area.

Do you think there was a more likely reason?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 30 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 30 2012, 05:22 PM) *
I find Newbury quite boring. If people have transport they go to Basingstoke, Reading or something else close by (like Newbury retail park). I go to London quite a lot. I like the variety. To be honest what have we got that is exciting? We've got a lot of coffee shops, restaurants and the shops that are in every town (like WHSmiths, Sainsbury's etc).

You find the town centre boring but say people will go to Newbury retail park?!?!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 30 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 30 2012, 05:49 PM) *
I really like the Park Way design and concept, for me, it fits and sits well with the rest of the town. However, fully appreciate Andy Capp's point. Even though he didn't want it, now its here, he really does want it to succeed. After all, its our town! That's probably the view of a good many Newbury people. We aren't doing too badly in Newbury compared to many other towns, which if we are honest, is probably down to the continued population growth. Nevertheless, the environment for retail is very hard at the moment and traders need all the help they can get. That's not pumping sunshine rather explaining where things can be improved and made better.

Bravo sir, bravo!!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 30 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 30 2012, 05:08 PM) *
There should be some real investigations into why and how Parkway ended up the way it did, but that ship has sailed and it's been built.

That ball lies with SLI. Pension funds own most of the shopping centres in the UK. I'd imagine they generally know what they are doing and that they don't invest millions on a whim.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:38 AM