Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bonfire Night.... without bonfires, Hedgehog Health & Safety rules
spartacus
post Oct 6 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

The Killjoy Brigade have got their way again I see. Afraid that the smell of hundreds of hedgehogs being burnt to death will put us off the event. It will now be a Firework Night. But not any old firework.... These will be ones that don't go BANG (or even bang) and frighten the horses. (or the residents)
Hedghog silliness

Is this designed to encourage people to attend? If I was going to go to the bother of taking young children out for an event like this I'd actually go to one that went the whole (hedge)hog.... (see what I did there?) At least you used to be able to get your kids to learn some snippet about British history by going though the "Remember remember! The fifth of November, the Gunpowder treason and plot" bit. But when it's happening on 9th November it loses it's relevance....

I remember as a child going to Bonfire Night. Often cold, but you'd get warmed by the fire. All part of the night... Seems a bit pointless to just go a watch some fireworks going up on a random night in November to celebrate nothing in particular.

Perhaps it's time it was ditched and we just accepted that the only 'traditions' the kids have these days are the American ones they see on films and TV. Trick or Treat/Fright Night... (do me a favour)

They've pretty much got rid of the tradition of kids making Guy Fawkes dummies (although 'Penny for the Guy' was becoming more an opportunity for young thugs to demand money with menaces) and lobbing them onto the top of the bonfire supposedly frightened children as their parents were too daft to explain to them that the dummies weren't real people, so that was dropped in some places...

We haven't got many traditions left that haven't been tied up and snuffed out by the Red Tape or H&S Brigade, but what next can they focus on?

Morris Dancers? Big men hopping around after consuming a few pints of ale and hitting each other with sticks.... tut, tut Someone should do something about that before someone gets hurt.... AND they black their faces up, which is just asking for trouble.

I reckon that's a job for our Richard Garvie and his magic red folder....

But to drop the bonfire for the possibility that some hedgehogs might be in there is just ridiculous.. If they sent a few Jack Russells in before the fire was lit they'd at least make sure the hedgehogs didn't burn in the flames.... Some people just don't think outside the box
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DJE
post Oct 7 2013, 12:15 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,761

Bonfires are nature's way of weeding out the dryest, crispiest, most flammable hedgehogs.

The surviving ones get a free fumigation, setting them up for a flea-free new year.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 7 2013, 06:29 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (DJE @ Oct 7 2013, 01:15 AM) *
Bonfires are nature's way of weeding out the dryest, crispiest, most flammable hedgehogs.

The surviving ones get a free fumigation, setting them up for a flea-free new year.

Plus well baked they taste quite nice, particularly with baked spuds.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 7 2013, 08:10 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

never mind hedgehogs, I remember the whizz bang of all the aerosol cans that had been stuffed in to the pyre on previous evenings.....

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 7 2013, 09:39 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 6 2013, 10:00 PM) *
I reckon that's a job for our Richard Garvie and his magic red folder....

Poor chap is organising the event!! He is fated with 'good ideas' that for one reason or another tend not to hit the spot as anticipated.....

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 7 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Oct 7 2013, 10:39 AM) *
Poor chap is organising the event!! He is fated with 'good ideas' that for one reason or another tend not to hit the spot as anticipated.....

So after 30 years the Rotary Club ( you know, those folk who organise lots of this kind of thing, so probably know a thing or two about such events )

announced at the end of March that the event was being cancelled, club president Peter Bates said that the main reason was because they could no longer use land at Henwick Farm.

However, he added that a reduction in numbers attending and competition from other firework displays had also been a factor.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 7 2013, 09:56 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Some people are just so selfish that they don't think what upset such activities cause people and animals, not to mention unnecessary pollution. Good riddance frankly.

+Quote Post
DJE
post Oct 7 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,761

Handy Tips and Hints
=============

Hedgehog spines dipped in magnesium powder make excellent improvised sparklers.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 7 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 7 2013, 10:56 AM) *
Some people are just so selfish that they don't think what upset such activities cause people and animals, not to mention unnecessary pollution. Good riddance frankly.

Agreed.
It wouldn't be so bad if bonfire night was just that, one night, but these days it seems to go on for a couple of weeks.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 7 2013, 05:59 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I enjoy a firework display, but the noise is terrifying for many animals. I don't think there's any justification for the private sale of fireworks, but I'm sure there are plenty of places that could host organised displays that are remote enough not to cause a nuisance and this to me seems like the best solution.

Bonfire parties have a very ancient history, way before 1605, and Guy Fawkes night, conveniently close to Samhain, pretty much just co-opted the much older pagan practice. I think there should be more communal bonfires - they're fun, but I love hedgehogs too and you should never burn a pile of material that's been left to stand if wildlife has access to it, but I've never found that to be a difficult problem to solve.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 7 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I don't like to see things that are fun stopped, but I don't like things that are unnecessary and cruel either. Being traditional shouldn't be a reason to continue something that we know causes a problem with the environment. Hedgehogs, for instance, are endangered, but if we could make hedgehog proof bonfires, then fair enough, but although spectacular, I have no sympathy for firework displays.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 9 2013, 08:22 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

cheers once again Mr Gavie for messing everything up for everyone else.

I'm going on a Hedgehog cull after work. I'm going to throw them in my oven.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:48 PM