Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Green waste bins
tim
post Sep 14 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 850

The lids of the green waste bins appear to be compostable ???? The crew who were emptying them this week were having problems with the lids breaking & as they were breaking off they were just throwing them into the back of the wagons with all the green waste . With out any care for the residents whose bin it was , they just carried on with out any care at all ....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 14 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (tim @ Sep 14 2012, 12:49 PM) *
The lids of the green waste bins appear to be compostable ???? The crew who were emptying them this week were having problems with the lids breaking & as they were breaking off they were just throwing them into the back of the wagons with all the green waste . With out any care for the residents whose bin it was , they just carried on with out any care at all ....

I have doubts as to how much, if any, of our carefully sorted "recyclable" waste does not go to landfill.
Most plastics can now be recycled but we are only allowed to put "plastic bottles" in our green sack.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 14 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 14 2012, 01:00 PM) *
I have doubts as to how much, if any, of our carefully sorted "recyclable" waste does not go to landfill.

You could always put in an FOI request wink.gif

Tim - you make it sound as though a whole street was losing the lids off its green bins. If that's the case, they should have taken the truck straight back to base to have its loading mechanism fixed. A bin without a lid would be no use to me as mine is not under cover. I expect it's the same for many others. It's going to cost a fortune to replace a large number.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 14 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (tim @ Sep 14 2012, 12:49 PM) *

They are not the house owners bins but belong to the council. You can, however, request another green wheelie bin because the lid has been damaged or gone missing.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 14 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 14 2012, 05:19 PM) *
They are not the house owners bins but belong to the council. You can, however, request another green wheelie bin because the lid has been damaged or gone missing.

Yes, but who ultimately pays for the replacement bins when a large number are damaged by the (presumed) carelessness of the collectors? I'll give you one guess.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 14 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 14 2012, 07:49 PM) *
Yes, but who ultimately pays for the replacement bins when a large number are damaged by the (presumed) carelessness of the collectors? I'll give you one guess.

I don't think the bin men really care. I know a few bin men and they told me it is all in a "days work".

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Sep 14 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 14 2012, 07:49 PM) *

If there has been large-scale damage to bins through improper use of machinery, then I think the council could recover the cost from the waste contractor.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 16 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Sep 14 2012, 10:32 PM) *
If there has been large-scale damage to bins through improper use of machinery, then I think the council could recover the cost from the waste contractor.

Yes, but I doubt if they do.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 16 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 16 2012, 05:21 PM) *
Yes, but I doubt if they do.

What do you base your doubt on? A vague feeling? The only way you'll know one way or the other is to ask them.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 16 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Surely the wheelie bin supply is part of the Veolia contract?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 16 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 16 2012, 05:52 PM) *
What do you base your doubt on? A vague feeling? The only way you'll know one way or the other is to ask them.

Yes to the first part and I also agree with the second part. I suppose that solves that problem!!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Sep 17 2012, 08:01 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Has anyone seen the compost that we are supposed to buy back from collecting all this green bin waste?

+Quote Post
RedDevil
post Sep 17 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 306

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Sep 17 2012, 09:01 AM) *
Has anyone seen the compost that we are supposed to buy back from collecting all this green bin waste?

You can buy it at the recycling centres in Newtown Rd and Padworth. Normally by the office.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:48 AM