IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monster Sized Pot Holes Are STILL Everywhere, What is WBC doing???
Blake
post Feb 16 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 75

Are you noticing a fall in the plague of potholes across West Berkshire?

There are some I have reported to West Berks Council at least THREE times...what is going on there I wonder.

Where are the worst ones?

The T junction at Bradley Moore Square in Thatcham is a disaster waiting to befall someone.

Come on WBC, get fixing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tintin77
post Feb 16 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,926

QUOTE (Blake @ Feb 16 2011, 05:08 PM) *
There are some I have reported to West Berks Council at least THREE times...what is going on there I wonder.

Blake, please get in touch with me in the NWN office on 01635 564 601 or PM me your details here in the forum so I can get in touch, I'd like to hear when you reported them and so on.

--------------------
Eddie van der Walt
Reporter
Newbury Weekly News

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 16 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

The T junction at Bradley Moore Square in Thatcham is a disaster waiting to befall someone.

Come on WBC, get fixing.

Well I emailed StreetCare, next day the holes were marked, next day they were patched. In addition, the whole area has been attended to over an above what I reported.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 16 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

They do seem to be fixing them, to a point, but it seems to be little more than a dollop of tarmac, which will not last long. It is better than nothing at all I suppose.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 16 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 16 2011, 06:17 PM) *
They do seem to be fixing them, to a point, but it seems to be little more than a dollop of tarmac, which will not last long. It is better than nothing at all I suppose.

Agreed, but the time it would take to do a full job at every hole would mean most would be held up while a few were done. The shovel full of asphalt is - I hope - accepted as being a quick fix until locations can be fully assessed whether they need the wearing course cut back and replaced or long term patching will suffice.

Generally, it seems properly reported holes are assessed across the area and appropriate steps taken. Some will always get missed, but a chase up with the report number will usually lead to an explanation of what is being done, or what something is not being done.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 16 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

Come on WBC, get fixing.

Not a lot of point? We had a couple of potholes repaired after weeks of waiting. A lorry pulled up; 20 minutes later after a couple of shovelfuls of tarmac patted down with the back of a shovel it was gone.

Yes two days later after a couple of HGV's had been over it we were back to the same potholes again!!! blink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Sidney
post Feb 16 2011, 07:57 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,006

Come on WBC, get fixing.

The drain cover by the co-op isn't on properly either - I mentioned this to the staff months ago - but they said they are not allowed to put back as it's in the highway ?!

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 16 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 16 2011, 06:49 PM) *
Not a lot of point? We had a couple of potholes repaired after weeks of waiting. A lorry pulled up; 20 minutes later after a couple of shovelfuls of tarmac patted down with the back of a shovel it was gone.

Yes two days later after a couple of HGV's had been over it we were back to the same potholes again!!! blink.gif
And yet when a road is closed for repairs people moan too.

Some joker even made a video featuring all the road repairs being done in time for Christmas.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 16 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 16 2011, 08:02 PM) *
Some joker even made a video featuring all the road repairs being done in time for Christmas.

Were they for pot hole repairs?

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 16 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 16 2011, 08:04 PM) *
Were they for pot hole repairs?
Some were, yes.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 16 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sidney @ Feb 16 2011, 07:57 PM) *
The drain cover by the co-op isn't on properly either - I mentioned this to the staff months ago - but they said they are not allowed to put back as it's in the highway ?!

Have you reported it to StreetCare? Got a reference number? Gone back because the repair is not actioned?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 16 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 16 2011, 06:49 PM) *

I agree some of the 'immediate' patching is ineffective, either because of the method or there is no sound material to bind to, but overall it is better than a full repair at every site, especially when much of the quick fix work is doing the job.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 16 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Came past this junction on the way back from the pub this evening..... I think your definition of 'Monster' needs some work. I was expecting something impressive.... Monster sized potholes perhaps..... If those little dinks are a "disaster waiting to happen" then I dread to think what you'd make of the problems that councils in Scotland are facing after the Big Freeze where roads are crumbling to bits...

Linky thing tae Scotland

+Quote Post
Blake
post Feb 17 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 16 2011, 10:36 PM) *
Came past this junction on the way back from the pub this evening..... I think your definition of 'Monster' needs some work. I was expecting something impressive.... Monster sized potholes perhaps..... If those little dinks are a "disaster waiting to happen" then I dread to think what you'd make of the problems that councils in Scotland are facing after the Big Freeze where roads are crumbling to bits...

Linky thing tae Scotland

I take it you were not riding a motorcycle along there??

I do and it alarms me as to what could happen to a rider pretty soon. These are now pretty deep and getting worse by the day.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 17 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 16 2011, 08:02 PM) *
And yet when a road is closed for repairs people moan too.

So why spend money repairing when there is no point as it lasts only two days? Might as well left them as they were? Complete waste of taxpayers money surely? blink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Sidney
post Feb 22 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,006

Saw the aforesaid roadworks today in Lower Way. Having worked in the construction industry for many years, I was "somewhat surprised" to see two guys bashing the cold tarmac into the pothole with the back of their rakes .... yeah guys that should do the trick angry.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:27 AM