IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Newbury Town Council thinks of you, The gloves are off!
Bofem
post Feb 10 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

Right you ignorant lot....posting your thoughts on here about the quality of our charter market is "ill-informed", according to Newbury Town Council Chief Exec Graham Hunt.

He says so in the 'public' version of Town Centre Partnership minutes.

But I'll save you the bother by repeatig here.

"Newbury Market - trying to replace stall holders when they leave. Produce is high quality and not helped by negative publicity from illinformed internet posters."

So there you have it. Our market is great, and you lot are wrong.

Looks to me like the disdain for certain local officials by posters on here is mutual!

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 10 2011, 01:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Yes, I'd seen that. Hardly the kind of response you'd expect to a legitimate piece of customer feedback. I'm also curious to know if the comment was intended to put editorial pressure on BrianB who also serves on the TCP.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 10 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Chief Exec Graham Hunt, so it's about time you raised your game then and debunk those ignorant Internet posters.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Feb 10 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 10 2011, 01:33 PM) *
Yes, I'd seen that. Hardly the kind of response you'd expect to a legitimate piece of customer feedback. I'm also curious to know if the comment was intended to put editorial pressure on BrianB who also serves on the TCP.

Well, I don't wish to make this personal. I wondered whether he was having a pop at me for questioning whether there's a link between the lack of variety on the market and the cartel-style market stall vetting process approved by NTC.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Feb 10 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Bofem @ Feb 10 2011, 02:06 PM) *
Well, I don't wish to make this personal. I wondered whether he was having a pop at me for questioning whether there's a link between the lack of variety on the market and the cartel-style market stall vetting process approved by NTC.

I wouldn't worry. I think most people have had a pop at the quality of the market produce at some point. Let's face it, if it really was great quality at low prices then there would be a queue of people into Northbrook street and there wouldn't be a problem with market traders leaving.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 10 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I also noticed this: "Xmas lights will go on 26/11/10 (£5K from TCP)", and while it's true that the Council's accounts show the TCP making a £5k contribution to the Chrimbo Lights, £4k of that would appear to come from the Town Council's contribution to the TCP, so unless I'm missing something, isn't it dishonest to suggest the TCP makes a greater contribution than it does?

Anywho, I'm not so sure that it's the quality of the market's produce that has made the market a failure, though I can understand why the Town Council would want to direct the blame that way. Other towns have successfully reinvented their markets, but Newbury's is still trying to do what worked in the seventies and retail has moved on. If the Town Council isn't up to the job - and the market is run at a significant nett cost to the tax-payer so it probably isn't - then I suggest it's time to hand the market over to a private concern and let it sink or swim.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 10 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Bofem @ Feb 10 2011, 01:13 PM) *
Right you ignorant lot....posting your thoughts on here about the quality of our charter market is "ill-informed", according to Newbury Town Council Chief Exec Graham Hunt.

"Newbury Market - trying to replace stall holders when they leave. Produce is high quality and not helped by negative publicity from illinformed internet posters."

Looks to me like the disdain for certain local officials by posters on here is mutual!

Is this the well informed Chief Exec who heads the council that is unable to explain to us ill-informed internet posters that the CCTV system is working the same as the old system?

As stated in other posts it should not matter how the council gets its feedback it should take all correspondence into account no matter in what form that feedback comes to them?

Unless they only wish to take account of positive feedback of course? wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 10 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 10 2011, 05:41 PM) *
Is this the well informed Chief Exec who heads the council that is unable to explain to us ill-informed internet posters that the CCTV system is working the same as the old system?
No. Seems you might be ill-informed on this matter. laugh.gif

QED.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 10 2011, 06:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 10 2011, 05:56 PM) *
No. Seems you might be ill-informed on this matter. laugh.gif

QED.

I stand corrected thanks User?

I meant to mention the Allotments problem on this post.

Problem with posting in haste keep getting mixed up with who is who? All local mafia to me I am afraid? tongue.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 10 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 10 2011, 06:02 PM) *
Problem with posting in haste keep getting mixed up with who is who? All local mafia to me I am afraid? tongue.gif
If one is shouting about holding to people to account, it's always wise to know who's accountable for what before one does.

Seems you've proved the councillor right about there being ill-informed comments on here. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 10 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I will say that if you're a gardener then Richard from Charlton Park who sells the seed potatoes is one of the most experienced and knowledgable vendors you're likely to find, so if you haven't bought your seed potatoes yet see him on Saturday and ask him for a recommendation. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 10 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 10 2011, 06:06 PM) *
If one is shouting about holding to people to account, it's always wise to know who's accountable for what before one does.

Seems you've proved the councillor right about there being ill-informed comments on here. tongue.gif

I am only a local low paid Pleb you see not a highly paid Chief Exec? I am allowed to make mistakes? tongue.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 10 2011, 06:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 10 2011, 06:13 PM) *
I will say that if you're a gardener then Richard from Charlton Park who sells the seed potatoes is one of the most experienced and knowledgable vendors you're likely to find, so if you haven't bought your seed potatoes yet see him on Saturday and ask him for a recommendation. smile.gif
I've still to buy my seeds for this year. I think I'd better get a move on.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 10 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 10 2011, 06:20 PM) *
I've still to buy my seeds for this year. I think I'd better get a move on.

Seed potato? Yes, the season's getting on, time to get them chitting on the spare bedroom window sill.

But plenty of time for everything else - I do little until Easter's out of the way and things always seem to catch up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 10 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 10 2011, 06:24 PM) *
Seed potato? Yes, the season's getting on, time to get them chitting on the spare bedroom window sill.

But plenty of time for everything else - I do little until Easter's out of the way and things always seem to catch up.
I meant any seed whatsoever. I've always meant to give potatoes a try but never got round to it.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Feb 10 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

I agree with Graham Hunt, I am an ill informed internet poster. I am ill informed on what on earth is happening with Newbury CCTV, I am ill informed on the point of the new green lines at St John's roundabout and I am ill informed on the Council 'How we spend the money' website; such as the unclassified £48,014 to Wokingham District Council. Come on Mr Hunt please educate us.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 10 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 10 2011, 06:27 PM) *
I meant any seed whatsoever. I've always meant to give potatoes a try but never got round to it.

You could always try just a couple in a planter on the patio - home-grown potatoes are one of those things that are much tastier than shop-bought. Like I said, Ask Richard for a recommendation - but I think you'd have to take a trip up to Wantage to buy single tubers. Granted, I'm an enthusiast, but he has a wealth of knowledge.

And if you were to grow just one veggie, grow leeks. Dead easy to grow, and sweet and tasty like you just don't get from shops - Mussleburgh's a rock-solid variety.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 10 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Feb 10 2011, 06:34 PM) *
I agree with Graham Hunt, I am an ill informed internet poster. I am ill informed on what on earth is happening with Newbury CCTV, I am ill informed on the point of the new green lines at St John's roundabout and I am ill informed on the Council 'How we spend the money' website; such as the unclassified £48,014 to Wokingham District Council. Come on Mr Hunt please educate us.

God no, please - don't encourage User!

Graham Hunt is the Chief Executive of Newbury Town Council who run the market, and all of those things you mention are the responsibility of West Berkshire Council. blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 10 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 10 2011, 06:37 PM) *
You could always try just a couple in a planter on the patio - home-grown potatoes are one of those things that are much tastier than shop-bought. Like I said, Ask Richard for a recommendation - but I think you'd have to take a trip up to Wantage to buy single tubers. Granted, I'm an enthusiast, but he has a wealth of knowledge.

And if you were to grow just one veggie, grow leeks. Dead easy to grow, and sweet and tasty like you just don't get from shops - Mussleburgh's a rock-solid variety.
It's not going well for those that wanted to dispel the theory about "ill-informed" comments.

Yes I was thinking of trying growing them like that, my neighbour suggested it too. We've been swapping veg for the last couple of summers, it's mainly been one way in my direction though given he's a lot better at it than I.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 10 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Bofem @ Feb 10 2011, 01:13 PM) *

There are loads of Internet sites/ message boards so how do you know they are referring to this one?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:41 PM