> Newbury show, rising costs
Andy Capp
post Sep 24 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 24 2013, 09:51 AM) *
Thanks for the warning about Parsons. I shall avoid them in that case. Nothing worse than a "pasty" filled with mince. You get what you pay for. Probably made with flaky, rather than short, pastry as well - a dead give-away.

Unles you don't like mince, then I don't see what is wrong with a mince pasty! huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 24 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 24 2013, 04:37 PM) *
Unles you don't like mince, then I don't see what is wrong with a mince pasty! huh.gif

Probably nothing, except that personally if I am going to have a pasty, I prefer a proper Cornish pasty. It could be something to do with the fact that my late wife was Cornish, so during many visits to the county I sort of got educated wink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Sep 24 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 24 2013, 03:38 PM) *
I have bought pasties from WCP in the past and very good they are too.

Haven't eaten one for a while as every time I bought one in the past I'd have to work my way through several lumps of gristle and unappetising sinew disguised as meat, all smothered in E-numbered gloop.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Sep 24 2013, 06:59 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 24 2013, 05:00 PM) *
Probably nothing, except that personally if I am going to have a pasty, I prefer a proper Cornish pasty. It could be something to do with the fact that my late wife was Cornish, so during many visits to the county I sort of got educated wink.gif

I saw a programme not long ago where they said that to call a pasty 'Cornish' it had to be made in Cornwall, but surprisingly the filling could be from anywhere !!!!!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post Sep 24 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (spartacus @ Sep 24 2013, 07:03 PM) *
Haven't eaten one for a while as every time I bought one in the past I'd have to work my way through several lumps of gristle and unappetising sinew disguised as meat, all smothered in E-numbered gloop.

You must have ben unlucky. I have never had any gristle in a pastie from them. Do you have a link to the ingredients? I am sure preservatives are used, but I always thought there was very little in the way of "gloop" as you put it. I had one of their bacon rolls once and that was dry and inedible, but the pasties are good.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 24 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

They've been very successful so they must be alright. Just really expensive!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 26 2013, 08:43 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I like the way they get kids to pet dogs that are bred and trained to hunt and rip apart a wild animal, and then probably destroyed when they reach the end of their "useful" life.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 26 2013, 09:43 AM) *
I like the way they get kids to pet dogs that are bred and trained to hunt and rip apart a wild animal, and then probably destroyed when they reach the end of their "useful" life.

Nearly put me off pasties for life!

Going back to original thread, yes, can see what you mean. Always a lot of people round the doggie stands. I suppose it's the same mangled thinking some people seem to cope with. Same as being in RSPB and owning a cat....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 26 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 26 2013, 10:47 AM) *
I suppose it's the same mangled thinking some people seem to cope with. Same as being in RSPB and owning a cat....

I infer that you think cat owners are cruel to animals?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 26 2013, 11:03 AM) *
I infer that you think cat owners are cruel to animals?

Yes, a very unpopular stand point I know, but domestic cats kill more wild birds than any other predator so I really can't see how cat owners can subscribe to the values of RSPB.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Sep 26 2013, 11:26 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Unless it's a house cat laugh.gif

People who feed birds cause all sorts of problems.
Natural selection is there for a reason. People's need to interfere with nature is very annoying.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Sep 26 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (motormad @ Sep 26 2013, 12:26 PM) *
Unless it's a house cat laugh.gif

People who feed birds cause all sorts of problems.
Natural selection is there for a reason. People's need to interfere with nature is very annoying.

Are you sure about that?

Human activity is already interfering with nature, to the detriment of many of our native birds and mammals.
They need all the help they can get, so I will continue to put food out during the winter months, fit nesting boxes to my trees, and leave some untidy areas for cover.
I have been trying to create a frog colony for a few years now, but due to at least five cats patrolling overnight, they are not doing as well as they might.
If I had my way, I would make cat ownership the same as dog ownership, AND I would change the law to curfew them, as is done in Australia. Any tagged cat found outside would result in fines for the owners, and after three times, the cat should be put down.

You really can be very shortsighted sometimes.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 26 2013, 12:03 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 26 2013, 12:12 PM) *
Yes, a very unpopular stand point I know, but domestic cats kill more wild birds than any other predator so I really can't see how cat owners can subscribe to the values of RSPB.

I don't see allowing an animal to act out it instincts is cruel, unless they are cultivated for such an act of course. However, I think I know what you are getting at. We have too many pets, including dogs, which is damaging to the environment.

QUOTE (motormad @ Sep 26 2013, 12:26 PM) *
Unless it's a house cat :lol:People who feed birds cause all sorts of problems. Natural selection is there for a reason. People's need to interfere with nature is very annoying.

That is a good point MM, people should not feed wild animals except maybe, when food is scarce.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 26 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I do have an elderly and very ugly Persian Mog. She costs a fortune in clipping fees.
After some radical dentistry that hit my pocket hard she should be friendlier to little furry things,
but I was terrified of the fangs during a pill popping session. It may be too old now.
But my cats in the past have been occasional nightmares. Urban foxes too roam for prey in my garden.

On the other hand I was delighted when a barn owl took up a platform I had installed in an open cart-shed.
It was the eating place, and very appetising it looked by the remains of little furry things.

Back once again to the topic.. me? derail a thread biggrin.gif
Such things as owl displays, in rural shows have to pay for their stalls and somewhere to park.
But I guess all the bits and bobs that have to be in place....Red Cross, police help, cost as well.
It does seem odd to be charged for going to a display that is offering to sell you something.
Who pays for O2 arms displays, surely not Somali warlords!
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 26 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

.....Talking of feeding birds and causing problems...

Looking at SaveVickyPark's you tube channel. There is a hilarious clip of an advert for a Ford Ka ....and a pigeon.
Worth a look, I giggled at it anyway biggrin.gif
ce

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:34 AM