Reply to this topicStart new topic
> We need a ring road
Ziggy
post Oct 27 2010, 07:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 504

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14945

Now I have no particular qualifications or expertise in town planning, but is this not rather shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted? Ever since I have lived in the area, new housing and retail developments have been given the go-ahead with seemingly no strategic thinking whatsoever about roads or other infrastructure.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 27 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Ziggy @ Oct 27 2010, 08:33 AM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14945

Now I have no particular qualifications or expertise in town planning, but is this not rather shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted? Ever since I have lived in the area, new housing and retail developments have been given the go-ahead with seemingly no strategic thinking whatsoever about roads or other infrastructure.

Wouldn't it be advisable for the Councils to solve the traffic problems in Newbury before building 2k5 new houses in and around the town or is that being too simplistic?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 27 2010, 07:53 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I agree with both of you, but it ain't going to happen.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 27 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Suggestions as to possible routes please. IMHO it would be as waste of time.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 27 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

The councillor is suggesting that we don't want through traffic. Drivers will always opt for the shortest route, regardless of the traffic flow so a ring road would be under used.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 27 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 09:05 AM) *
Suggestions as to possible routes please. IMHO it would be as waste of time.

If we had a ring road we could then have a 'proper' pedestrianise shopping centre.

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 09:05 AM) *
The councillor is suggesting that we don't want through traffic. Drivers will always opt for the shortest route, regardless of the traffic flow so a ring road would be under used.

It is what Reading, Swindon and Basingstoke did and do. Not that I am a great admirer of them.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 27 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 27 2010, 10:21 AM) *
If we had a ring road we could then have a 'proper' pedestrianise shopping centre.

It is what Reading, Swindon and Basingstoke did and do. Not that I am a great admirer of them.

None of the above really have a 'proper' ring road - they have disjointed bits of dual carriageway, usually which end in a bottle neck. Swindon has only just had two of their bottle necks removed ( on the A419/7 ) but all that has done is make the situation at Birdlip worse.
Most of the traffic in Newbury is folk either driving into town to go to work, or mums driving their kids to school.

You only have to look at the situation in the Wharf & over the canal bridge every day to realise that drivers are their own worse enemy. They deserve to sit in traffic

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 27 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I think the problem is that Newbury was never ever designed for a large population and the layout of the existing housing and road structure will always restrict vehicle traffic. The population is just about being adaquately serviced. If the powers that be decide that they want Newbury to have a larger population then infrastructure must be a priority otherwise it will strangle itself.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 27 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 10:27 AM) *
Most of the traffic in Newbury is folk either driving into town to go to work, or mums driving their kids to school.

Why then is Sunday lunch time often so bad on the A339?

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 10:27 AM) *
You only have to look at the situation in the Wharf & over the canal bridge every day to realise that drivers are their own worse enemy. They deserve to sit in traffic

That is a bit unfair; no-body looks for a traffic jam and one can develop in a matter of minutes in Newbury.

One of the problems is a lack of 'north circular' on the west said of town. If we had more canal crossings, that might improve things.

I still maintain that the pedestrianisation project is partly let down by an inappropriate road system in the town.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 27 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 27 2010, 12:27 PM) *
Why then is Sunday lunch time often so bad on the A339?

That is a bit unfair; no-body looks for a traffic jam and one can develop in a matter of minutes in Newbury.

One of the problems is a lack of 'north circular' on the west said of town. If we had more canal crossings, that might improve things.

Unfair? I bet it is the same drivers each day. The A339 is a longer, but faster alternative, but people still drive down park way.

A339 on Sundays? Which bit?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 27 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 12:31 PM) *
Unfair? I bet it is the same drivers each day. The A339 is a longer, but faster alternative, but people still drive down park way.

Although it is besides the point; how do you know?

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 12:31 PM) *
A339 on Sundays? Which bit?

Down the link and on to the Police Station, etc...

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 27 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 27 2010, 01:06 PM) *
Although it is besides the point; how do you know?

Down the link and on to the Police Station, etc...

Well Watson, using parkway to get across town isn't a route a person who does not know the town would take. Therefore one must assume those waiting on the one-way bridge etc know the town well, which means they must use the route often to be familiar with it.

The traffic on the A339 is hardly bad enough to warrant building a by pass - which I am sure would only be used by 'out of towners' I wonder, how many local people wanting to get from Wash Common to Shaw would ever think of using the A34?

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Oct 27 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 01:14 PM) *
How many local people wanting to get from Wash Common to Shaw would ever think of using the A34?

My friend lives in Woolton Hill and when he used to work at West Berkshire Hospital he did exactly that.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 27 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Oct 27 2010, 01:20 PM) *
My friend lives in Woolton Hill and when he used to work at West Berkshire Hospital he did exactly that.

I'd expect him to & most other to do the same. Woolton Hill is not in Newbury. I'm on about people driving out of the town - ie say from near Park House School & then on to the A34 when going to Waitrose.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Oct 27 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 01:25 PM) *
I'd expect him to & most other to do the same. Woolton Hill is not in Newbury. I'm on about people driving out of the town - ie say from near Park House School & then on to the A34 when going to Waitrose.

Well, that's what we do.

Mind you, you do sometimes take your life in your hands joining the A34 - the slip roads are far too short for safety.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Oct 27 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 01:25 PM) *

Well, that's what we do.

Mind you, you do sometimes take your life in your hands joining the A34 - the slip roads are far too short for safety.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 27 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Well Watson, using parkway to get across town isn't a route a person who does not know the town would take. Therefore one must assume those waiting on the one-way bridge etc know the town well, which means they must use the route often to be familiar with it.

OK, so it is an assumption then.

The traffic on the A339 is hardly bad enough to warrant building a by pass - which I am sure would only be used by 'out of towners' I wonder, how many local people wanting to get from Wash Common to Shaw would ever think of using the A34?

I'm not sure a by-pass was what was proposed. My view is about making navigating around town better so as to improve exit/access and so that we may have a 'proper' pedestrian shopping centre.

It is all rather pointless anyway, as it ain't going to happen any time soon. If anything, perhaps Thatcham deserve a bridge for the railway crossing more than anything.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 27 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 27 2010, 02:32 PM) *
OK, so it is an assumption then.

I'm not sure a by-pass was what was proposed. My view is about making navigating around town better so as to improve exit/access and so that we may have a 'proper' pedestrian shopping centre.

It is all rather pointless anyway, as it ain't going to happen any time soon. If anything, perhaps Thatcham deserve a bridge for the railway crossing more than anything.

Unless a survey is conducted the nature of the journey origination of anyone at the wharf is assumption....

A ring road in town - pushed through existing development?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 27 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 27 2010, 02:35 PM) *
A ring road in town - pushed through existing development?

Huh? huh.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 27 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 27 2010, 02:38 PM) *
Huh? huh.gif

If it isn't a green field by-pass, ( or on the W side of town utilising the A34 ), ie a distance from the town centre it will have to be built over existing development won't it. ( I agree that it is all hypothetical as it will never be considered ).

Not like the A339 Newbury - Basingstoke dual carrigeway plan that was considered at great cost.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:41 PM