Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BA Cabin Crew strike., Holding the public to ransom
Bloggo
post Dec 15 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

I am surprised that the Unite Union has persuaded the BA Cabin crew to commit to strike action over the Christmas/New Year period sending thousands of peoples plans into chaos and causing disappointment to those hoping to spend time with families overseas.
The Union seems to have ignored the fact that Flight crew recently agreed to pay cuts and unpaid leave and Engineering agreed redundancies in order to assist the recovery of an ailing Company.

In my mind it would appear that Cabin Crew have negated all of these sensible measures to keep BA in the air.
This action is commercial suicide and will cost the Company and the public dear.
In this financial climate I would have thought that Cabin Crew would be happy to have a job to go to rather than risk finding themselves at the Job centre if BA collapes.
Totally irresponsible.

--------------------
Bloggo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 15 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

How long before BA get bailed out by Gordon and co? Chuck the Cat another Canary! (or in the tax payers case another few billion). angry.gif

IF BA head towards administration PLEASE let them fail. Plenty of other airlines can take over their flights. Survival of the fittest (like the real World Mr McCluskey).

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 15 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I think you'll find it the cabin crew who have requested the action. 82% turn out with 90% in favour of exercising their legal right to take lawful industrial action.

Many of BA staff have taken pay cuts and even worked a whole month for free to help BA. Unite have provided BA with cost saving that exceed the ones proposed. Willie Walsh has received a 6% payrise and will walk away next year with a 7-figure sum in additon to his share options.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle6474165.ece

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 15 2009, 10:50 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 15 2009, 10:33 AM) *
I think you'll find it the cabin crew who have requested the action. 82% turn out with 90% in favour of exercising their legal right to take lawful industrial action.

Many of BA staff have taken pay cuts and even worked a whole month for free to help BA. Unite have provided BA with cost saving that exceed the ones proposed. Willie Walsh has received a 6% payrise and will walk away next year with a 7-figure sum in additon to his share options.

Thats fine Darren. I just don't want them saved by the taxpayer when they go into Administration. You work in the 'Public Sector' I presume?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 15 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 15 2009, 10:50 AM) *
Thats fine Darren. I just don't want them saved by the taxpayer when they go into Administration. You work in the 'Public Sector' I presume?

I agree TDH. If the Cabin Crew want to risk their future and that of the airline then go ahead. I like you don't want to see the Country in more dept because of this irresponsible action.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Dec 16 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 15 2009, 10:33 AM) *

Actually a lot of the staff believed the strike action to be no more than 3 days

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Dec 16 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

I saw a news report the other day about people in China missing family members. One guy had been put in prison because he kept complaining to his employer that he wasn't paid enough.

Aren't we lucky (however bad our Government maybe) that we live in a society where we can strike.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 16 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Dec 16 2009, 01:32 PM) *
I saw a news report the other day about people in China missing family members. One guy had been put in prison because he kept complaining to his employer that he wasn't paid enough.

Aren't we lucky (however bad our Government maybe) that we live in a society where we can strike.

There are a lot of people on strike at the Council Offices but no one has noticed. laugh.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 16 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 16 2009, 02:27 PM) *
There are a lot of people on strike at the Council Offices but no one has noticed. laugh.gif

I hope you are not talking about Bill1! laugh.gif

Anyway I think Willie Walsh should give the staff an ultimatum. Strike = Sack.
If I walked out of my job on strike my employers would not hesitate to replace me. I expect that this applies to nearly all of the Private Sector. No-one is irreplacable - Especially overpaid Trolley Dollys.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 16 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 16 2009, 02:58 PM) *

Would I?? wink.gif

If I walked out of my job on strike my employers would not hesitate to replace me. I expect that this applies to nearly all of the Private Sector. No-one is irreplacable - Especially overpaid Trolley Dollys.

Sadly I don't think this will be simple.
I bet Richard B is laughing all the way to the bank. New flag carrier anyone?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Dec 16 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 16 2009, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 16 2009, 03:12 PM) *
Would I?? wink.gif

Oi!

I've just logged off after work and seen this.

Bloomin cheek. angry.gif

I'm joking by the way as I trust are you.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Dec 16 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Dont think you can sack someone on a legal walkout. Debatable if this is legal yet as I think it goes to court today. Trust you would be happy to go in Monday morning to find you are doing two people's jobs, no overtime, longer hours and your basic pay has been cut. From what you say you would put up or shut up. Just hope your employer is not reading this and gets a good idea, he could also raise his salary by 6% by cutting yours.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 16 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

That would be illegal.

It's always amusing to see people moaning that others are standing up for their rights. They're usually the ones that have been daft enough to give theirs up.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 16 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 15 2009, 09:16 AM) *
Plenty of other airlines can take over their flights.

hahahahahhahahha
I'd love to try a long haul flight with Ryan Air......

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 16 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Dear British Airways, I shall not be requiring a waitress on my flight over christmas. I have packed a can of pop just in case. Thankyou

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Dec 16 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 16 2009, 06:42 PM) *
hahahahahhahahha
I'd love to try a long haul flight with Ryan Air......

Yes, and if some of the regular contributors on here worked for Mr O'Leary and he was told that they were regularly using his time and electricity to post messages, then they would be looking for other jobs.... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Dec 16 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 16 2009, 03:12 PM) *
Would I?? wink.gif

I bet Richard B is laughing all the way to the bank. New flag carrier anyone?

Virgin Trains (ever had the misfortune to use them?) is planning to double its service between Glasgow and London after British Airways cabin crew said they would be striking over the Christmas period.

Errr... how?

Has Beardie discovered a Strategic Reserve that can run at 125mph?

Or have a crack team of Virgin engineers perfected tilt on Mk2s and 3s?

Perhaps Network Rail plans to slap a draconian speed restriction across the entire West Coast Main Line?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 16 2009, 08:50 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Dec 16 2009, 07:44 PM) *
Virgin Trains (ever had the misfortune to use them?)

Not used the trains but tried them as an ISP and they were shockingly bad. I was suprised because the company has such a good reputation, but maybe I expected higher because of that. Never mind though I digress, I have used BA and found them to be exemplary, and for transatlantic flights cheaper in many cases. I just hope they sort it out, however £56k a year seems like rather a lot to me for cabin crew.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 16 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 16 2009, 08:50 PM) *
Not used the trains but tried them as an ISP and they were shockingly bad. I was suprised because the company has such a good reputation, but maybe I expected higher because of that. Never mind though I digress, I have used BA and found them to be exemplary, and for transatlantic flights cheaper in many cases. I just hope they sort it out, however £56k a year seems like rather a lot to me for cabin crew.

Virgin recently were voted the best ISP for customer satisfaction. While I have no reason to disbelieve you, many people decide how good a company is based on small, and often anecdotal, sample rates.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 16 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 16 2009, 09:32 PM) *
Virgin recently were voted the best ISP for customer satisfaction. While I have no reason to disbelieve you, many people decide how good a company is based on small, and often anecdotal, sample rates.

A quick search through a few sites flags up a ratio of I would estimate about 3 bad for every good review. Can't find anywhere they have won an award but it seems their product is good (when working) but their customer service very bad. They were NTL of course who are famed for being voted the worst company on BBC's Watchdog programme.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:14 AM