> Feeding Trolls
Andy Capp
post Feb 23 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 04:42 PM) *
Andy, as you realise, you are not forum manager, so I/we can reply to whoever/whenever we want to. I don't normally feed trolls but 'ya know what I was bored and it was entertaining, and I may well feed the panda again, but it is not to 'annoy' YOU

panda is clearly trying to disrupt the the allotment thread. While you and others might find it fun, there might be others who don't, so if you must play games like this would you please just create another thread?

For me, feeding trolls is akin to allowing noisy kids to 'run amok' in a pub when you are trying to have a conversation with a friend.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Feb 23 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Feb 23 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 06:23 PM) *
panda is clearly trying to disrupt the the allotment thread. While you and others might find it fun, there might be others who don't, so if you must play games like this would you please just create another thread?

For me, feeding trolls is akin to allowing noisy kids to 'run amok' in a pub when you are trying to have a conversation with a friend.

Andy, I am sorry but every thread is disrupted with user/danny/rg fight EVERY time, (obv they are not trolls) BUT we have to put up with it. Your the only one who keeps going on about it.

Why are you SO offended by me repling to the panda? Their be back to school next week so it wont matter. Lighten up rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 23 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 08:42 PM) *
Andy, I am sorry but every thread is disrupted with user/danny/rg fight EVERY time, (obv they are not trolls) BUT we have to put up with it. Your the only one who keeps going on about it.

Why are you SO offended by me repling to the panda? Their be back to school next week so it wont matter. Lighten up rolleyes.gif

Forum Trolls are part of the scenery, universally despised by 'serious' contributors (if there is such a being). No problem with feeding them, as long as they are recognised for what they are. New contributors can be caught up with what they think is a genuine (if rather odd) perspective on The Meaning of Life and may benefit for a quiet word.

One man's Troll is another man's Trollope

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 23 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Because people might not say anything doesn't mean people are happy about it. Most subscribers don't post.

I wasn't so offended by you posting to panda, it was an open post I made. You chose to make it personal with your snotty reply directed at me. Using capitals is also rude on a forum when you are addressing someone.

Fair enough if you enjoy your troll baiting, but I wish people would find another forum for that where the subject matter is unimportant. Also, remarks like 'lighten up' are not only patronising, they are rude. I'd like to think the posts I made on trolls were respectful to the regular posters and up until you took it personally.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 23 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 23 2011, 08:53 PM) *
Forum Trolls are part of the scenery, universally despised by 'serious' contributors (if there is such a being).

They might be on forums that are as 'unmoderated' as this one.

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 23 2011, 08:53 PM) *
No problem with feeding them, as long as they are recognised for what they are. New contributors can be caught up with what they think is a genuine (if rather odd) perspective on The Meaning of Life and may benefit for a quiet word.

I would find it annoying if I was indulged in a conversation on a forum if it were interlaced with playground 'banter'.

The point is, I was trying to alert people that there was who I thought to be a troll, unfortunately someone took my posts personally. Not only that, they were quite sarcastic with me and I don't think I deserved it.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Feb 23 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 08:58 PM) *
Because people might not say anything doesn't mean people are happy about it. Most subscribers don't post.

I wasn't so offended by you posting to panda, it was an open post I made. You chose to make it personal with your snotty reply directed at me. Using capitals is also rude on a forum when you are addressing someone.

Fair enough if you enjoy your troll baiting, but I wish people would find another forum for that where the subject matter is unimportant. Also, remarks like 'lighten up' are not only patronising, they are rude. I'd like to think the posts I made on trolls were respectful to the regular posters and up until you took it personally.

Of course I am going to make it personal to you because you were the only peson making a complaint - publically. What else would you expect Andy? I don't get it.... unsure.gif

Saying lighten up is not rude or patronising, telling people to not reply to the troll because you didn't like it, IS rude. I never used capitals in all of my reply, only words I wished to emphasise.

You were tring to 'alert' people that Panda is a troll, fair enough but I think most people 'got' that. I may of been sarcastic but come on Andy you can handle a bit of sarcasm surely, you wouldn't post on the forum otherwise!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 23 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 09:20 PM) *
Of course I am going to make it personal to you because you were the only peson making a complaint - publically. What else would you expect Andy? I don't get it.... unsure.gif

For people to treat how they are treated, to be honest.

Saying lighten up is not rude or patronising,

In your opinion it might not, but to me it is.

telling people to not reply to the troll because you didn't like it, IS rude.

If that is what I did, I might agree, but as that isn't what I wrote in the post that you replied to, I don't.

I never used capitals in all of my reply, only words I wished to emphasise.

I didn't say your whole reply was capitalised, but the language in conjunction with the placement of the capitalised words were, at very least, antagonistic - and I think unnecessarily so.

You were tring to 'alert' people that Panda is a troll, fair enough but I think most people 'got' that. I may of been sarcastic but come on Andy you can handle a bit of sarcasm surely, you wouldn't post on the forum otherwise!

I was appealing to people to avoid the trap set by the troll. You decided to take it personally and I regret that.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Feb 23 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 09:34 PM) *
For people to treat how they are treated, to be honest.

In your opinion it might not, but to me it is.

If that is what I did, I might agree, but as that isn't what I wrote in the post that you replied to, I don't.

I didn't say your whole reply was capitalised, but the language in conjunction with the placement of the capitalised words were were at very least, antagonistic - and I think unnecessarily so.

I was appealing to people to avoid the trap set by the troll. You decided to take it personally and I regret that.

Oh geez, I seriously can not continue with a debate about this, it is ridiculous. I could answer all your points above with a reply but it is seriously not worth it.

End of the day, I/others may feed the trolls, you don't like it - fair enough.

FWIW I am glad you outed the troll for people who may not of known smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 23 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 09:40 PM) *
Oh geez, I seriously can not continue with a debate about this, it is ridiculous. I could answer all your points above with a reply but it is seriously not worth it.

You don't think it matters that you might have been offensive?

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Feb 23 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 09:42 PM) *

Andy if you seriously think I am being offensive than you are deluded.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 23 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 09:42 PM) *

A bit to much of the pink stuff I suspect! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 23 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 09:43 PM) *
Andy if you seriously think I am being offensive than you are deluded.

I'm sad you think it that way.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 23 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 08:58 PM) *
Most subscribers don't post.

It was the trolling that kept me away, and I expect it turns almost everyone else away too - there's barely a score of us who contribute regularly, and if you take out of that number the trolls and sock puppets it's likely single figures. I totally understand the sense in a light administrative hand, but I feel the forum would be more constructive and more enjoyable if the worst excesses were discouraged. Trip trap.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Roost
post Feb 23 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

For what it's worth I'm with the person whoever adores pink grape juice on this one.

I think Andy's response and continuation (or attempt to) of what is clearly a disagreement and not a debate actually suggests certain Troll-like tendencies....

Best advice anyone ever gave me was:-

"Don't sweat the small stuff........

.....everything is small stuff"

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Feb 23 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Feb 23 2011, 09:43 PM) *
A bit to much of the pink stuff I suspect! tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Feb 23 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 09:44 PM) *
I'm sad you think it that way.

Oh come on Andy, I just responded to your posts, stop being so melodramitc

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Feb 23 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 23 2011, 10:00 PM) *
It was the trolling that kept me away, and I expect it turns almost everyone else away too - there's barely a score of us who contribute regularly, and if you take out of that number the trolls and sock puppets it's likely single figures. I totally understand the sense in a light administrative hand, but I feel the forum would be more constructive and more enjoyable if the worst excesses were discouraged. Trip trap.

The trolling kept you away but never user/danny/Rg....?!?! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 23 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roost @ Feb 23 2011, 10:03 PM) *
For what it's worth I'm with the person whoever adores pink grape juice on this one. I think Andy's response and continuation (or attempt to) of what is clearly a disagreement and not a debate actually suggests certain Troll-like tendencies.... Best advice anyone ever gave me was:- "Don't sweat the small stuff........ .....everything is small stuff"

That is your right to your opinion, but I have a right to reply to what I saw as someone having a pop at me. Especially when they lack humility and try to exaggerate what I have said and done. At least I took the 'squabble' to another thread - started by myself - so as to avoid spoiling the other thread further.

I would like to reiterate though, my main concern was that I saw panda as someone who was trying to sabotage the thread, the topic of which is very controversial.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Feb 23 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 10:12 PM) *
That is your right to your opinion, but I have a right to reply to what I saw as someone having a pop at me. Especially when they lack humility and try to exaggerate what I have said and done. At least I took the 'squabble' to another thread - started by myself - so as to avoid spoiling the other thread further.

I would like to reiterate though, my main concern was that I saw panda as someone who was trying to sabotage the thread, the topic of which is very controversial.

Actually, I replied to YOU having a pop at me/other users to begin with... dry.gif

Please show me where I have exaggerated what you have said...?

You took the squabble to another thread, all though YOU started it on a different thread? I don't get it, was I suppose to not reply on that thread to you but another one?

And if the allotment thread is the most controversial thread on here then you are seriously missing something!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:25 PM