> World Cup on a big screen in the Market Place?, Your thoughts
blackdog
post May 29 2010, 12:09 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ May 28 2010, 07:56 PM) *
Good idea and I've just seen the Toshiba advert exhorting us to buy a new laptop before June 10th. They say that if England win, then they'll refund the purchase price. Do they know something we don't? tongue.gif

No - like us they know England won't win.

And just in case they have almost certainly insured themselves against having to pay out,
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 29 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 29 2010, 01:09 AM) *
No - like us they know England won't win.

And just in case they have almost certainly insured themselves against having to pay out,

I disagree, I think England have a good chance.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 29 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (GMR @ May 28 2010, 09:57 PM) *
Rumblows did the same many years ago. Was we got to the semi finals or whatever they started getting worried. In other words they don't expect England to win. I think we've got the best chance since the 1970s.

Rumbelows?? You oldie!! Lot's of places are offering a full rebate on televisions too, if England win. A brilliant incentive, finally a decent bit of capitalism!

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 29 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 29 2010, 10:13 AM) *
Rumbelows?? You oldie!! Lot's of places are offering a full rebate on televisions too, if England win. A brilliant incentive, finally a decent bit of capitalism!

I still got Rumblows bugs. laugh.gif

I agree, but I think Rumbelows were one of the first to do this.

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 30 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Who's going to pay to police it?

Or will it be run on a trust system?

"Right lads and ladettes, sit down and watch the football, but behave or a CCTV operator in Maidenhead might happen to see something but won't know where you are or who you are!"

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 30 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ May 30 2010, 02:00 PM) *
Who's going to pay to police it?

Or will it be run on a trust system?

"Right lads and ladettes, sit down and watch the football, but behave or a CCTV operator in Maidenhead might happen to see something but won't know where you are or who you are!"

That is the job of the police to police. Are you suggesting we never have anything just in case somebody upsets somebody else and a riot breaks out?

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 30 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

It's a large-scale public event where the pubs will sell as much alcohol as they possibly can in the shortest period they can. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that football + alcohol = trouble.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 30 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ May 30 2010, 02:06 PM) *
It's a large-scale public event where the pubs will sell as much alcohol as they possibly can in the shortest period they can. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that football + alcohol = trouble.

I think that's complete rubbish. I think the only way there would be trouble is if people who don't want to watch go along just top moan and get in the way. The beauty of international games is that everyone will be supporting the same team.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 30 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

True, then the police must sort it out and deal out harsh penalties to those that abuse such events. We shouldn’t be pandering to the anarchists but showing our resolve in dealing with such troubles.

We either let them win or we stand up to be counted. While I am on the subject; I am also against alcohol being put up because a few abuse it. If people want to get drunk to the point of bad behaviour and abuse then they must suffer the consequences; tougher jail sentences, public humiliation and even public flogging. We shouldn’t be making the good and respectable citizens suffer because of a few morons.

People should have a choice in our society; either be good or suffer the consequences for their actions; simples! We’ve become a soft nation where the unruly are concerned.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 30 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

I believe that the police charge to police outdoor events - so I would hope that the organisers of big screen soccer in the Market Place will have budgetted for the expense of policing and we ratepayers are not being relied upon to subsidise a boost for the profits of a couple of pubs. Hopefully little policing would be needed, but I would be surprised if the boys in blue were not required from time to time.

It would be much simpler to keep drunken footie fans in the pubs.

+Quote Post
user23
post May 30 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I've never seen trouble at any other events in town such as KOTG where there's always a bar open from midday to the early evening. That particular event polices itself, though there are the mandatory "bouncers" that I think the council specify should be in attendance at any event or establishment with a licence to sell alcohol. I don't see how this will be much different.

Remember, they'll be extra Police in town anyway, are you saying all the pubs should be footing the bill (no pun intended) for them too?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 30 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

KOTG?

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 30 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 30 2010, 03:59 PM) *
I believe that the police charge to police outdoor events - so I would hope that the organisers of big screen soccer in the Market Place will have budgetted for the expense of policing and we ratepayers are not being relied upon to subsidise a boost for the profits of a couple of pubs. Hopefully little policing would be needed, but I would be surprised if the boys in blue were not required from time to time.

It would be much simpler to keep drunken footie fans in the pubs.

Well, if they are going to charge then you will want your money’s worth. If trouble occurs you want immediate and swift action. Any trouble makers caught are made to pay the police bill plus interest on top. On top of that other punishments are dished out against the perpetrators; hard-hitting and brutal punishments that will send a message to anybody who wishes to cause trouble and disrupt such events in the future. We are becoming too soft as a nation.

I don’t agree with you that football fans should be kept in pubs. Where is your community spirit? Where is your love for your fellow man... and woman? The world cup is a time for communities to get together and cheer their fellow countrymen on to victory.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 30 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Mark NWN @ May 28 2010, 09:01 AM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13440

What do you think of the proposal?

Is it something you'd like to see?

Let us know your thoughts on the matter.

Get me the h ell outa here while the Football World Cup is on!!! sad.gif

Hope the weather is good so I can escape it on my bike!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 30 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 30 2010, 07:52 PM) *
Get me the h ell outa here while the Football World Cup is on!!! sad.gif

Hope the weather is good so I can escape it on my bike!! tongue.gif

You don’t really mean that? I am sure you will be cheering you country like every other Pole will be. laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 30 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 30 2010, 02:33 PM) *
I think that's complete rubbish. I think the only way there would be trouble is if people who don't want to watch go along just top moan and get in the way. The beauty of international games is that everyone will be supporting the same team.

Really?

So this will be an English-only event?

What happens if England progress?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 30 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

1. Yes

2. Not necessarily but I would imagine anyone else would be in a huge minority and not in a position to "kick off", whereas club football tends to be around the 50:50 mark of opposing fans.

3. More games on the big screen!

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 30 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 30 2010, 09:01 PM) *
1. Yes

2. Not necessarily but I would imagine anyone else would be in a huge minority and not in a position to "kick off", whereas club football tends to be around the 50:50 mark of opposing fans.

3. More games on the big screen!

Yes, let us hope they do progress.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 31 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ May 30 2010, 04:14 PM) *
I don’t agree with you that football fans should be kept in pubs.

Not all of them - just the ones containing too much booze.

QUOTE (GMR @ May 30 2010, 04:14 PM) *
Where is your community spirit? Where is your love for your fellow man... and woman? The world cup is a time for communities to get together and cheer their fellow countrymen on to victory.

Personally I don't care if England win this World Cup or go out at the first stage - football is not something I care much about. I am far more impressed that England won the World Cup in Barbados a few weeks back.

So I get irritated when I am told that it is all important or that I am unpatriotic not to be footie obsessed. In reality I care a lot more about the survival of the English pub - so I would like to see them getting as much out of the nation's foottie obsession as possible. If everyone goes to the Market Place a couple of pubs will make a killing at the others expense (until the rain sets in).

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 31 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 31 2010, 04:06 PM) *
football is not something I care much about. I am far more impressed that England won the World Cup in Barbados a few weeks back.

So what sport was that then? Probably not something I care much about. smile.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:06 PM