IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Bell in Market Place on Friday, Anyone see it?
Mark NWN
post Aug 13 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 907

What did you make of it?

Story on Newburytoday here

If you have seen any of the other outdoor theatre performances, how did you think it compared?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Aug 13 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (Mark NWN @ Aug 13 2012, 10:17 AM) *
What did you make of it?

If you have seen any of the other outdoor theatre performances, how did you think it compared?

For my 2p worth, it was amazing. Kids enjoyed it, brought loads of business to the centre of Newbury, and is a great boost for Newbury as a centre of arts and culture. More please.

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Aug 13 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 261

QUOTE (Mark NWN @ Aug 13 2012, 11:17 AM) *
What did you make of it?

I'd give them 10 out 10 for trying. It wasn't easy to understand what the story line was and it was slow to start with. The main criticism is that the advertising was misleading. I went with an expectation of acrobatics and live music. I didn't find either.

As a spectacle it was loud and exciting. Having the crowd so close to the action meant that it was difficult to see anything that wasn't close. All I could really work out was that there were a couple of battles and lots of people died, apparently beaten to death with red flags which oddly both sides used! I have to say that I didn't enjoy it. It was confused and without a clear story.

I think its great to see these outdoor attractions even if some of them don't work as well as they could.

+Quote Post
booboo
post Aug 13 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 66

If you want to see some photos of the event they are on http://www.flickr.com/photos/petertullett/collections/

I have not finished all the shots, so have a look later on in the week for the rest.

I am more than welcome to CONSTRUCTIVE comments of the photos. I am for ever trying to get better.

+Quote Post
regor
post Aug 13 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Aug 13 2012, 02:39 PM) *
I'd give them 10 out 10 for trying. It wasn't easy to understand what the story line was and it was slow to start with. The main criticism is that the advertising was misleading. I went with an expectation of acrobatics and live music. I didn't find either.

As a spectacle it was loud and exciting. Having the crowd so close to the action meant that it was difficult to see anything that wasn't close. All I could really work out was that there were a couple of battles and lots of people died, apparently beaten to death with red flags which oddly both sides used! I have to say that I didn't enjoy it. It was confused and without a clear story.

I think its great to see these outdoor attractions even if some of them don't work as well as they could.

I am with Bartholemew on this. It sounded great but with the crowds up to seven or eight deep in places only the front two or three ranks could see what was happening. My wife and i could only make out a lot of flags waving and the occasional character up a pole (or something) urging the rest on. Next time we either need some staging or raised areas for standing. Dissapointingly we left after 40 minutes because we couldn't see enough to follow the story.

+Quote Post
booboo
post Aug 13 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 66

I agree that the story was not explained very well. The whole idea was that you were part of the action, you joined the revolution, you took a flag and joined in. That point was not made clear, plus the area is not big enough for that sort of event. Let the Corn Exchange know, they want feedback to help plan future events.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 13 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

How does one get to hear of these events? Obviously everyone else knew, except me. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 13 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 13 2012, 06:35 PM) *
How does one get to hear of these events? Obviously everyone else knew, except me. smile.gif

It is worth keeping an eye on the front page news on this site.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/town-se...ent-tonight-fri

I think it would be good to have an events email list of some description.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:33 AM