> MP's Pay
Andy Capp
post Jul 11 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 11 2013, 08:45 PM) *
I would add a fourth strand of the state apparatus: the administration, the most malign and self-serving strand of them all. It's a deception to think that the politicians are in charge, they're not, they're just front-men, the power is in the hands of the administrators: and the administration keeps the politicians occupied with their snouts in the trough while they get on with the real work - administration for its own sake!

'If Voting Changed Anything They'd Abolish It' by Ken Livingstone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 11 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 11 2013, 08:04 PM) *
So if the opposition see the government going in a direction that is likely to fail and therefore cost them a portion of their salary, don't you think they will be motivated to speak? Conversely, if the government is going in a direction that might succeed, then they can help it through.
The Opposition almost always speak out when they think the Government is likely to fail, already. They can rarely affect what happens because they're in a minority though. I'm not sure you understand how works.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 11 2013, 08:30 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 11 2013, 09:19 PM) *
The Opposition almost always speak out when they think the Government is likely to fail, already. They can rarely affect what happens because they're in a minority though. I'm not sure you understand how works.

Do you really think that, or are you just being you snide?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 11 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Nice little number being a basic MP. Doubt if any if us would refuse; even at today's package. In effect, your own 'boss', no real effort needed and a pretty comfortable place to work, just the odd vote; which simply means walking through a doorway. Only downside are the elections and some noise coming from the constituency. Even better, get on the Euro list, even bigger take, far less supervision plus some 1st class foreign travel.

Oooh yes please!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 11 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 11 2013, 09:35 PM) *
Nice little number being a basic MP. Doubt if any if us would refuse; even at today's package. In effect, your own 'boss', no real effort needed and a pretty comfortable place to work, just the odd vote; which simply means walking through a doorway. Only downside are the elections and some noise coming from the constituency. Even better, get on the Euro list, even bigger take, far less supervision plus some 1st class foreign travel. Oooh yes please!

There is the little matter of wining an election first, which in most case involves being selected by your party to represent you. Unless you are a shoe-in, I don't think the task is as easy as all that. Also, PMQs and voting in the house is only a small part of what you have to do as a MP.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 11 2013, 10:41 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

I feel less generous towards the MPs than you: I don't think they're having the wool pulled over their eyes, I just don't think they could care less. It seems to me that politicians of all persuasions and vocations surrender to some overarching don't-rock-the-boat establishment pressure.

Surely the real trouble is that too many of them see politics as a career - and hence do what their bosses tell them in order to move up the ladder towards a nice ministerial post. It even oozes down to the local level, with would be MPs setting off on the first (and usually the last) rung of their would be career.

That said I'm with OTE - oh for the life of an MEP!

+Quote Post
newres
post Jul 12 2013, 04:33 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

I don't think it is a massive salary for the job they do. It seems about right to me or even a little low. Should an MP earn less than a Head Teacher? But I do think outside jobs/consultancies should be forbidden.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 12 2013, 01:10 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (newres @ Jul 12 2013, 05:33 AM) *
I don't think it is a massive salary for the job they do. It seems about right to me or even a little low. Should an MP earn less than a Head Teacher? But I do think outside jobs/consultancies should be forbidden.

I think that you, and others above, are over-estimating the salary of a head teacher.

For the majority in West Berks it is £42 - £61 K

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 12 2013, 01:13 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

I feel less generous towards the MPs than you: I don't think they're having the wool pulled over their eyes, I just don't think they could care less. It seems to me that politicians of all persuasions and vocations surrender to some overarching don't-rock-the-boat establishment pressure.

Many, many times have we seen reports of ministers (and Prime Ministers!) being economical with the truth when reporting to the Comons (WMD anyone)

I would add a fourth strand of the state apparatus: the administration, the most malign and self-serving strand of them all. It's a deception to think that the politicians are in charge, they're not, they're just front-men, the power is in the hands of the administrators: and the administration keeps the politicians occupied with their snouts in the trough while they get on with the real work - administration for its own sake!

The 'administration' is a part of the executive and frustrates ministers just as much

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 12 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Perhaps if we made Politicians follow the rules they lay down for others; they might gain back some credibility. The sales and advertising regulations for a start.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:55 PM