> Traffic Wardens, aka Green Goblind or Civil Enforcement Officers
GMR
post Jul 22 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 22 2009, 06:18 PM) *
I don't think you read GMR's post properly as he doesn't seem to say that at all.

The Councillor, in my view, has just shown his true colours. He (they) are just simple 'scalpers'.

Exactly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hamster
post Jul 22 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 139

"Mr Betts also admitted that one in seven tickets issued by the parking wardens had been overturned on appeal. Since they started patrols, 2697 fines have been issued, but 397 of them had been cancelled after drivers complained about the fines."

And how much did this cost in admin and support staff - more than the original tickets no doubt?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 22 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (hamster @ Jul 22 2009, 08:25 PM) *
"Mr Betts also admitted that one in seven tickets issued by the parking wardens had been overturned on appeal. Since they started patrols, 2697 fines have been issued, but 397 of them had been cancelled after drivers complained about the fines."

And how much did this cost in admin and support staff - more than the original tickets no doubt?

I believe - but I am not 100% sure - that traffic wardens are on a bonus. That means, they, themselves, are praying for crimes to be committed so that they can earn there money.

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Jul 23 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #24

Guests

Never been a particular fan of traffic wardens for the reasons posted. It's not that I am against parking enforcement (I'm all for it when some scally parks his GTi in a disabled space) but the 'intent' of flooding the streets with the Yellow Peril is not right.

It's an earner for the council.

Similar to me as speed cameras. It's claimed to be there for safetly and maybe that was the original intent, but more and more it's a source of revenue so the intent has shifted from safety to revenue. Just my take - maybe should leave the cameras issue to the rants section smile.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 23 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

They wanted to make money but have misjudged the number of illegally parked cars so have been proven incorrect in their estimations. In employment law I believe that all employees are on probation for 6 months and can be dismissed at any time up until the end of that 6 months. As this scheme has been mis-managed may I suggest that the Council accept this and reduce the number of Wardens (if it is not too late already) from say 20 to 10 so that the incumbent members (or stakeholders) of West Berkshire Deistrict Council get value for money and a service they deserve.

****Incumbent members (or stakeholders) = You, me and Average Joe that pay their council tax. I Just thought I'd put it in a language that the counciller cretins understand.

+Quote Post
Johngreybeard
post Jul 23 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 214

I have just joined so that I can take part in this debate. The basic problem is that people don't read the signs when they park but just assume that they can park anywhere they like irrespective of local residents or rules (shades of the 'bollards' issue!). This is more typical of how society is now rather than the fault of the council. Previously when the police managed the parking controls there was only one traffic warden for the town and basically no enforcement! Perhaps 20 wardens will prove too many but if they do make people more aware then I will suppport the scheme. I have a controlled bay outside my house and am always amazed how many 'parkers' look shocked when I point out the signs and the restrictions before hurriedly moving elsewhere.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 09:55 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Jul 23 2009, 01:06 AM) *
Never been a particular fan of traffic wardens for the reasons posted. It's not that I am against parking enforcement (I'm all for it when some scally parks his GTi in a disabled space) but the 'intent' of flooding the streets with the Yellow Peril is not right.

It's an earner for the council.

Similar to me as speed cameras. It's claimed to be there for safetly and maybe that was the original intent, but more and more it's a source of revenue so the intent has shifted from safety to revenue. Just my take - maybe should leave the cameras issue to the rants section smile.gif

That is another one; speed camera’s. Their main objective is to make money first and then catch speeders. But to make money they must hope that people break the law. It is morally wrong.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 23 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Johngreybeard @ Jul 23 2009, 10:34 AM) *
I have just joined so that I can take part in this debate. The basic problem is that people don't read the signs when they park but just assume that they can park anywhere they like irrespective of local residents or rules (shades of the 'bollards' issue!). This is more typical of how society is now rather than the fault of the council. Previously when the police managed the parking controls there was only one traffic warden for the town and basically no enforcement! Perhaps 20 wardens will prove too many but if they do make people more aware then I will suppport the scheme. I have a controlled bay outside my house and am always amazed how many 'parkers' look shocked when I point out the signs and the restrictions before hurriedly moving elsewhere.

I think you will find that you are in the 5% of people that support the scheme. I thought we lived ina democracy. Why can't local people have a say on things that affect their every day lives? We live in a digital age. West Berkshire Council is despised by the majority of hard working normal people. Viva La Revolution.

+Quote Post
Johngreybeard
post Jul 23 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #29

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 23 2009, 11:04 AM) *
I think you will find that you are in the 5% of people that support the scheme. I thought we lived ina democracy. Why can't local people have a say on things that affect their every day lives? We live in a digital age. West Berkshire Council is despised by the majority of hard working normal people. Viva La Revolution.

+Quote Post
Johngreybeard
post Jul 23 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #30

Perhaps I am but you haven't contradicted my point that people DO NOT read the signage. You talk about living in a Democracy well I have been in comtact, since the original scheme began, with my local ward member about my views - have you? Local people can make a difference but is a forum the right place!

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jul 23 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Johngreybeard @ Jul 23 2009, 11:21 AM) *
Perhaps I am but you haven't contradicted my point that people DO NOT read the signage. You talk about living in a Democracy well I have been in comtact, since the original scheme began, with my local ward member about my views - have you? Local people can make a difference but is a forum the right place!

I do agree with you, John, although our main point for complaining is because of what David Betts said. We are angry because they are planning to ticket more people in the coming months to even out the costs. His exact words were “The number of tickets has increased monthly, and I'm looking to increase it further with each passing month.”

I for one support parking enforcement but not like this. I refuse to support anything where they're opening planning on increasing the amount of tickets given.

I understand your point of view... I would hate to live somewhere near town where people would park to go shopping or to go to work.

+Quote Post
Johngreybeard
post Jul 23 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (Andrea @ Jul 23 2009, 12:06 PM) *
I do agree with you, John, although our main point for complaining is because of what David Betts said. We are angry because they are planning to ticket more people in the coming months to even out the costs. His exact words were “The number of tickets has increased monthly, and I'm looking to increase it further with each passing month.”

I for one support parking enforcement but not like this. I refuse to support anything where they're opening planning on increasing the amount of tickets given.

I understand your point of view... I would hate to live somewhere near town where people would park to go shopping or to go to work.

+Quote Post
Johngreybeard
post Jul 23 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #33

I take your point but when you consider the amount of money that, in my opinion, is being wasted on trying to turn Newbury into another Reading or Basingstoke, which is the better use of our money! Did no one explain to the Council 'bigwigs' that the area around Parkway has a high watertable and that dewatering systems are notoriously poor when proposing an UNDERGROUND car park?

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jul 23 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Johngreybeard @ Jul 23 2009, 12:13 PM) *
I take your point but when you consider the amount of money that, in my opinion, is being wasted on trying to turn Newbury into another Reading or Basingstoke, which is the better use of our money! Did no one explain to the Council 'bigwigs' that the area around Parkway has a high watertable and that dewatering systems are notoriously poor when proposing an UNDERGROUND car park?

I don't dispute the fact that West Berkshire Council are wasting money in other areas as well. But the fact is we're complaining about them wasting money with the parking enforcement. We shouldn't just turn a blind eye to it.

It's like saying "Oh look, he's flushing money down the toilet, let's ignore him though and concentrate on that person over there who's burning money"

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Johngreybeard @ Jul 23 2009, 11:21 AM) *

If not forums like this where else? Sadly there is nowhere in Newbury to voice your opinions. I've been to the council forums at WBC and they are controlled and you can't really have your say. And those places are mainly dominated by councillors and such. Forums are the future and the only way an individual can voice their concerns. Yes, you could write to the papers but they can only take so many letters and you really can't have a proper debate as you do here.

There are other local forums like Newburynutters that allow you to have your say, but that is it.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Duplicated post laugh.gif

+Quote Post
alexh
post Jul 23 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 210

The difficulties in parking now have put me off shopping in Newbury, I shop on the retail park or out of town. I mean really what does Newbury have that I cant get on the retail park or beyond. I think there are more and more people who are just put off by the hassle of roadworks, traffic and parking.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (alexh @ Jul 23 2009, 01:39 PM) *
The difficulties in parking now have put me off shopping in Newbury, I shop on the retail park or out of town. I mean really what does Newbury have that I cant get on the retail park or beyond. I think there are more and more people who are just put off by the hassle of roadworks, traffic and parking.

I think that is another good point; traffic wardens, not enough places to park, attitudes etc will push people away from Newbury and on to other more consumer friendly places. In the end Newbury town centre will miss out.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jul 23 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (alexh @ Jul 23 2009, 01:39 PM) *

I'm with you there. The only time I go into town is when I go in when on my lunch and I can walk in. Even then it's a rare occurance. I don't like having to dodge road works, buses, and people asking for surveys/money.

The only time I don't go to the retail park is when it's the weekend and it takes longer to park/leave then it does to do your actual shopping... I just stay at home on those days laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Johngreybeard @ Jul 23 2009, 10:34 AM) *
. I have a controlled bay outside my house and am always amazed how many 'parkers' look shocked when I point out the signs and the restrictions before hurriedly moving elsewhere.

If you pay road tax you should be able to park on the public road, unless there are yellow lines. That's how easy it could and should be in my opinion.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 04:33 AM