IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Traffic
What do you think about the traffic in Newbury?
excellent [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
good [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
rubbish [ 8 ] ** [32.00%]
same as any other town [ 6 ] ** [24.00%]
needs work! [ 9 ] ** [36.00%]
Total Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
thefunky1
post May 14 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 49

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post May 15 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

Hard to choose on the poll, wanted to put needs work and rubbish but i decided to stick with rubbish. Every morning i go to work im in traffic, doesn't matter what time i leave im always stuck in it. Heading towards the Robinhood roundabout from Burgerking roundabout, words cant describe how annoyed i get at it.

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 15 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

I think that once all the work and improvements have been finished, it will be much better. I already have noticed that the RHR is much quicker apart from possibly rush hour.

But drivers need to think for themselves too. As an example the other day as I left B & Q at 5ish the traffic was backed right up towards the Hambridge Road lights, so I turned right went up to the roundabout and came back via Turnpike and Shaw Roads. clear route and only 3 other cars at the RHR when I arrived!!!! Quick and easy laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 15 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #4

Guests

I agree that it will be better when all the works are completed, but I too think a lot of drivers don't think, are impatient or just plain thoughtless.

Keep to the right lane, don't go on to a junction or rounabout unless you can clear it, thus not blocking people in etc.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 15 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Yes, it is a pain in the morning and evening rush hours, made a bit easier during school holidays but does anyone know of a town comparable in size to Newbury where the traffic runs freely all day? Outside the rush hours, it normally seems ok but then, isn't everywhere? It's all right if you plan to avoid it when making a trip that would normally take you through town but it must be no fun at all getting into and out of town to work every day. Sure cycling, walking, bus etc are alternatives but just not an option for a lot of people

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 15 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I think the end result will be worth it in the end - well, I hope so. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
T Flood
post May 19 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 74

Yes the RHR is running better, but the link to the sainsbury roundabout is now worse, from both directions of the A339.

when are the council going to publish the result, regarding these traffic flows around Newbury.

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 19 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (T Flood @ May 19 2009, 08:38 AM) *
Yes the RHR is running better, but the link to the sainsbury roundabout is now worse, from both directions of the A339.

when are the council going to publish the result, regarding these traffic flows around Newbury.

Last time I saw the Sainsbury's roundabout clear during normal hours, the lights weren't working and it was being used as a normal roundabout. Maybe it's worth trialling that as an alternative?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 19 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (T Flood @ May 19 2009, 08:38 AM) *

I agree.

+Quote Post
Twenty Something
post May 20 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 24

I work in town and live in Wash Common. It shold take me 10 mins to get to work and 10 home again, but I normally leave AT LEAST 40 mins before I need to be at work and I normally don't get home til at least half an hour after I have left.
It is ridiculous and is causing a lot of road rage that I have seen recently!

Thinking about taking the A34 from Wash Common and coming off at Speen, anyone know what this route is like in the mornings?

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post May 20 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Twenty Something @ May 20 2009, 09:58 AM) *
I work in town and live in Wash Common. It shold take me 10 mins to get to work and 10 home again, but I normally leave AT LEAST 40 mins before I need to be at work and I normally don't get home til at least half an hour after I have left.

Thinking about taking the A34 from Wash Common and coming off at Speen, anyone know what this route is like in the mornings?

Whereabouts are you parking?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 20 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I'd seriously consider a bicycle, it'd be quicker and you might benefit from a bit of fitness from it. On top of that, you will make the roads slightly less congested.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 20 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #13

Guests

We're all in the same boat as it were (boat? now there's an idea!) on this one.

Hopefully when roadworks/closures are complete we will all reap the benefits.

Let's grin and bear it for the remaining weeks/months and see.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post May 20 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

I've just returned to work from running home at lunch time. Went via the RHR and the outside lanes were closed coming from Thatcham and coming from the Sainsburys roundabout... I have no idea why! There were no workers anywhere to be seen! It took me 10 minutes to get from The Narrow Boat to the RHR!

(I would cycle, but I live in Woolton Hill and somedays I have to make it home at lunch time to take the dogs out for a walk... wouldn't be able to make it home, take the dogs out and make it back in an hour!)

+Quote Post
Twenty Something
post May 20 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 24

Unfortunately I need my car during the day as I am not normally office-based, otherwise I would love to ride a bicycle!!
Yes grin and bear it I guess is the only option.
I park at the top of town near-ish the clocktower, and walk in from there.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post May 21 2009, 07:45 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

I dont think Newbury is any worse then all towns at rush our. I was in Bristol for a meeting the other week and it took 45 minutes to get through the town. Yes i know its bigger than Newbury but the traffic was just sooooo slow angry.gif
Race days is obviously the worse, and when they build this new development its going to be chaos - but thats another post.....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:11 PM