Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ho ho ho! (or 'Bah! Humbug!")
spartacus
post Oct 11 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

'Tis the season to be Jolly..... tra la-la lala de dah dah boom (etc)!!

Wow! Christmas is here! Isn't it great! I don't know about you but I'm feeling all festivey! Tescos and Sainsburys have been stocking their shelves with crackers and Advent calenders for weeks... But now that Thatcham Town Council have put up their Christmas lights on all the lamp columns along the A4 through the town <sigh rolleyes.gif > I know it's OFFICIAL!! Only 75 Sleeps to go!!! Hooway!!

Okay... I can't keep it up.... sad.gif

Seeing snowmen being attached to all the lamp columns when we're not even half-way through October is just depressing... sad.gif I know I can be a right miserable b*gger, but this is getting ridiculous....

WHY on earth have they decided to put them up SO soon???
I guess it's not too far off before we get to hear Noddy Holder again every time we step within earshot of a shop's sound system....

Parkway opens on the 27th Oct.... Will all the 'Malls be decked with sprigs of holly' inside?

Bah! Humbug!! (a proper 'random rant' for a change....)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Perhaps it is cheaper to put them up out of season! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 11 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #3

Guests

I noticed the lights yesterday evening on the A4 near Thatcham High Street. It's really daft IMO. It's over 2 months until Christmas. Why not put them up on December the 1st?

It's all consumerist crap. It's like, as soon as Summer is over, everyone is talking about Christmas. As soon as Christmas is over, it's Easter...after easter, it's summer...

angry.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 11 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 11 2011, 11:06 PM) *
I noticed the lights yesterday evening on the A4 near Thatcham High Street. It's really daft IMO. It's over 2 months until Christmas. Why not put them up on December the 1st?

It's all consumerist crap. It's like, as soon as Summer is over, everyone is talking about Christmas. As soon as Christmas is over, it's Easter...after easter, it's summer...

angry.gif

Consumerist crap states the bloke who spent how much having his car wheels painted?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 12 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #5

Guests

£264. And I spent way more on other things.

How is that consumerist crap? It was a non-advertised choice. I like my car and take pride in it so that's money well spent in my eyes. It's also my mode of transport and allows me to travel to customers sites in comfort and economy for work. So it's a practical tool as well as a labour of love. But it's not even slightly on topic anyway so why bring it up? rolleyes.gif

Putting up Christmas lights over 2 months BEFORE Christmas is completely nonsensical. Always having advertising campaigns pushing for the next "big event" often before the current "big event" is even over......again, it's like a never ending barrage of stupid "big events" you have to buy a whole load of poop for. To quote the Chameleon from Dr Dolittle 2, it's looking like Christmas in July.

I worked in Sainsburys when I was 16. They were ALWAYS advertising for something, it would go something like Easter (late feb to April) - Summer (may to September) - Back to School (August to September) - Halloween (September to October) - Christmas and new year (October IMMEDIATELY after Halloween to January)..

I'm definately BAHH HUMBUG about it. They should ban advertising of Christmas outside of the month of December.

+Quote Post
shedboy
post Oct 12 2011, 07:09 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,849

Oh how I agree, it is far too early. We all get so fed up with all the hype we tend to forget what Christmas is really about (& that aint shopping!!!!!!!!)

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 12 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 12 2011, 02:06 AM) *
(October IMMEDIATELY after Halloween to January)..

Immediately after Halloween it's November. wink.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 12 2011, 08:24 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Cars come with wheels from the manufacturer.

You have fallen for advertising, peer pressure, image etc etc & spent £264 on a cosmetic touch up that adds nothing to the car in terms of comfort, economy or value.

You can't knock others for getting all Christmassy early & falling for advertising speil when the same has happened to you.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Oct 12 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 12 2011, 02:06 AM) *
Putting up Christmas lights over 2 months BEFORE Christmas is completely nonsensical. Always having advertising campaigns pushing for the next "big event" often before the current "big event" is even over......again, it's like a never ending barrage of stupid "big events" you have to buy a whole load of poop for.

I'm not a fan of Christmas any time before December 1st either, but it's not surprising that shops do this. After all, they are trying to sell as much as they can for as long as they can. If Tesco put their Christmas stuff out in October, but Sainsbury's wait until December then they've lost whole two months of trade. Even if takings are minimal it'd still be more profitible than not putting the stuff out. Also, some people (not me, at all) like to get their Christmas shopping done early. Retailers would say that this gives people that opportunity.

We often hear on this and the "other" forum about how hard pressed our independent retailers are because of slow/non-existant sales. One of my biggest issues with this is that I can never see much of a marketing push (or certainly not an effective one) by those retailers who complain of slow business. Well, this is an example of how the large corporate machine works. It's always thinking marketing, and planning well ahead for the next event. There is rarely a time of the year that there isn't a large seasonal promotion of some kind on in store.

Sure, it may not be to everyone's taste to be bombarded with stuff as you walk in, but it's hard to argue against it's effectiveness.

I'm not looking forward to two months of Slade, though.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2011, 08:44 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

In defence of Thatcham Town Council, it's the supplier who decides when they go up, the council simply decide when they are switched on. The lights will be switched on in December, so it's not really anything to do with the council or "consumerism".

Hate to spoil the conspiracy, but the facts are in the article.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 12 2011, 08:46 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 12 2011, 09:44 AM) *
In defence of Thatcham Town Council, it's the supplier who decides when they go up, the council simply decide when they are switched on. The lights will be switched on in December, so it's not really anything to do with the council or "consumerism".

Hate to spoil the conspiracy, but the facts are in the article.

Richard, I'm surprised at you.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 12 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (shedboy @ Oct 12 2011, 08:09 AM) *
Oh how I agree, it is far too early. We all get so fed up with all the hype we tend to forget what Christmas is really about (& that aint shopping!!!!!!!!)

They can't have Christmas in the shops in December because by then it's time to get the Easter eggs out!!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 12 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 12 2011, 09:24 AM) *
Cars come with wheels from the manufacturer.

You have fallen for advertising, peer pressure, image etc etc & spent £264 on a cosmetic touch up that adds nothing to the car in terms of comfort, economy or value.

You can't knock others for getting all Christmassy early & falling for advertising speil when the same has happened to you.

No I haven't. I am interested in cars and like modifying mine so I did what would improve the aesthetic appearance of my car. The only thing I've "fallen for" is image (and that's at a push) and that's not out of pressure to be "up to date" or to "look good", it's just what I like doing. My car is worth more now than when I bought it despite the fact I've put another 15k on the clock. I don't go out to town at the weekends so I spend my money on my car. Unlike most I actually have something to show for what I waste my money on. I feel this is not an attempt at a reasoned discussion but a series of posts trying to get "personal" for some reason? dry.gif

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 12 2011, 09:09 AM) *
Immediately after Halloween it's November. wink.gif

Oh get you! Bah humbug. laugh.gif
QUOTE (massifheed @ Oct 12 2011, 09:36 AM) *
I'm not a fan of Christmas any time before December 1st either, but it's not surprising that shops do this. After all, they are trying to sell as much as they can for as long as they can. If Tesco put their Christmas stuff out in October, but Sainsbury's wait until December then they've lost whole two months of trade. Even if takings are minimal it'd still be more profitible than not putting the stuff out. Also, some people (not me, at all) like to get their Christmas shopping done early. Retailers would say that this gives people that opportunity.

Yeah, from a company view point it makes total sense. Talking of Christmas shopping done early, my Mum does hers around March-November. What was my old bedroom is now full of bloody presents already. blink.gif

We often hear on this and the "other" forum about how hard pressed our independent retailers are because of slow/non-existant sales. One of my biggest issues with this is that I can never see much of a marketing push (or certainly not an effective one) by those retailers who complain of slow business. Well, this is an example of how the large corporate machine works. It's always thinking marketing, and planning well ahead for the next event. There is rarely a time of the year that there isn't a large seasonal promotion of some kind on in store.

Definitely true there! I guess the smaller/independent retailers can't advertise on a scale that the larger ones can. The cost of one month of newspaper flyers for a large store (like Sainsburys) is probably the entire yearly marketing budget for a smaller place. It takes money to make money, I guess. Being honest with you I (and most other blokes probably) do any Christmas shopping on the 24th of December. tongue.gif The benefit for Sainsburys/Tesco is that they don't necessarily have to advertise outside of store since people go in there for shopping anyway. So it's like, free advertising..

I'm not looking forward to two months of Slade, though.

Christmas songs. Again, why??!? From November the 20th Radio 1 and Heart (who honestly listens to the Heart, the same 4 songs, all day long) will stop playing normal music (at least in Radio 1's case) and play a Christmas songs.

I just realised I am a right miserable *******. And I also finally know what "other" forum you're on about, Newbury.net am I right? I've not signed up though..

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 12 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

No I haven't. I am interested in cars and like modifying mine so I did what would improve the aesthetic appearance of my car.

ditto people who like Xmas.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 12 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #15

Guests

We're not debating who enjoys Christmas, most of us enjoy Christmas. What we're discussing the advertising of seasonal events before the season has begun, introduction of seasonal festivities before the season has begun, and christmas songs when all you want is to listen to Chris Moyles. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post Oct 12 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 11 2011, 10:42 PM) *
'Tis the season to be Jolly..... tra la-la lala de dah dah boom (etc)!!

Wow! Christmas is here! Isn't it great! I don't know about you but I'm feeling all festivey! Tescos and Sainsburys have been stocking their shelves with crackers and Advent calenders for weeks... But now that Thatcham Town Council have put up their Christmas lights on all the lamp columns along the A4 through the town <sigh rolleyes.gif > I know it's OFFICIAL!! Only 75 Sleeps to go!!! Hooway!!

Okay... I can't keep it up.... sad.gif

Seeing snowmen being attached to all the lamp columns when we're not even half-way through October is just depressing... sad.gif I know I can be a right miserable b*gger, but this is getting ridiculous....

WHY on earth have they decided to put them up SO soon???
I guess it's not too far off before we get to hear Noddy Holder again every time we step within earshot of a shop's sound system....

Parkway opens on the 27th Oct.... Will all the 'Malls be decked with sprigs of holly' inside?

Bah! Humbug!! (a proper 'random rant' for a change....)

You are my twin soul!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 12 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

A right miserable bleeder? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 12 2011, 01:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Perhaps a list of right miserable bleeders should be produced.... Bah Humbug.
Sign me up.
In years gone by I refused to buy a Christmas tree until a few days before Christmas Eve.
I felt it spoilt the magic. And I would be vacuuming the needles every day.

A lifetime ago I worked as a theatre manager, 2 shows on Christmas Eve, 2 shows on Boxing Day.
Bit of a nightmare as transport systems started closing for the period from about the 1970s.
I did have problems in finding staff.

Still, embarassingly I have just bought 3 items containing chocolate.
I do most of my shopping on foot and I refuse to use a shopping trolly as I would fill it up which can be costly.

I admit to buying remaindered books in January. "Diaries of Lord Allenbrooke" (various spellings exist).
££££s reduced to £3.99. That'll do for older brother sez I. I bet it hit Oxfam on January3rd.
ce

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

The thread was actually about Thatcham Town Council putting their lights up early, and it didn't even have anything to do with them!!!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 12 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 12 2011, 04:57 PM) *
The thread was actually about Thatcham Town Council putting their lights up early, and it didn't even have anything to do with them!!!

I suppose the contractors who spent 20 minutes up a lampost were so completely booked up ruining every other small town/village they had to get in early with us.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:01 AM