> War memorial location
Darren
post Nov 12 2011, 08:45 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=18344

Perhaps it's time to move it to Market Place, giving it a more central location and breaking an perceived link to the Church?

Would also give chance to update it to include all other conflicts since 1945.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neil
post Nov 12 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,839

QUOTE (Darren @ Nov 12 2011, 08:45 AM) *
breaking an perceived link to the Church?

Hmm... I've walked past it for many, many years now, and, whilst sited next to St. Nic.'s, I don't think I've ever seen it as part of the church! Perhaps many others do, but that comment came as a bit of an eye-opener to me.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 12 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (Neil @ Nov 12 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Hmm... I've walked past it for many, many years now, and, whilst sited next to St. Nic.'s, I don't think I've ever seen it as part of the church! Perhaps many others do, but that comment came as a bit of an eye-opener to me.

I'd agree, never see the memorial linked to the church. The fact is (and some people won't like this) is that the market place is for the market. I agree we need something done with the market place to make it busier throughout the week, but not this.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 12 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

I love it when history repeats itself.

In 1920, when the town realised it was lagging behind local villages in putting up a war memorial there was a big debate over where a town memorial should be sited.

One proposal was to remove Queen Victoria's statue from the Market Place and put the memorial there. Another was to put something on the front of the Corn Exchange - other suggestions included a triumphal arch in Somerset Park, or a fountain, also in Somerset Park.

However, the church authorities had already gone a long way towards erecting a memorial cross, the plan being to put it in the corner of the churchyard where it was eventually erected. The town then got involved and a committee of interested parties was set up to set up a town war memorial. There was some opposition but they pretty soon settled on the churchyard site and to do it as a joint enterprise with the church (perhaps influenced by the fact that the church had already raised half the necessary funds). The wall with the names was added to ensure the names were publically displayed - the church had planned only for the cross, the names were to be displayed in the church (there is still a panel in the church). The wall also separated the site from the churchyard - even then there were those who were unhappy with the link to the church, probably more through nonconformist beliefs than the more prevalent atheistic or non-Christian views held by many today. It was also seen as important that the site became public property in perpetuity, which the Church authorities seem to have gone along with.

Queen Vic's statue was removed a decade or so later, because it was in the way of traffic. Now that excuse has gone it would make more sense to have a memorial in the Market Place - but it would really only be for one or two days day a year; the current location is a pretty good one in terms of it being seen by a lot of people who pass by (a lot more than would come across it in the Market Place). We are currently experiencing a massive increase in the observance of Remembrance Day - a few years ago there was plenty of space around the memorial for those attending the service; now we are reminded daily of the human cost of out involvement in Afghanistan etc and the public are far more involved. In a few years time the numbers may well have fallen and a memorial in the Market Place could become a forelorn object. Still, I suppose we could always move it back to the churchyard corner.

It would certainly be a good idea to add names of those Newburians who have fallen since 1945 - are there any?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Nov 12 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

It's usual for the service be lead by a Vicar or a Bishop and there are hymns played/sung so it tends to have a religious tone.

Why not move it to the market place? The market is only 2 days a week and then for only 8 hours or so. To me is seems a far better use of the space than a few tables and chair for the cafes etc.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 12 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Darren @ Nov 12 2011, 05:16 PM) *
It's usual for the service be lead by a Vicar or a Bishop and there are hymns played/sung so it tends to have a religious tone.

Why not move it to the market place? The market is only 2 days a week and then for only 8 hours or so. To me is seems a far better use of the space than a few tables and chair for the cafes etc.

The Act of Remembrance is not religious, the Service is. In the National service, nearly all religions are represented and in attendance. Death in battle does not differentiate the belief of the victim. The only important thing about a Memorial to The Fallen is that it is readily accessible at all times, and (now) reflects all, not just the victims of WW1 & 2.

If the Vision is to endure, I believe there are good grounds for there to be a Town Memorial, and maybe other significant statuary - Victoria as an example, but why not our current Queen too, in her Jubilee (2012) - in the Market Place.

No need to dismantle the current memorial, as it has its' place.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 12 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Re post #4: where is Somerset Park?

(Sorry - can't edit quotes easily on my phone.)

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 12 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

The thing to remember is The Great War, and World War II was conscripted. It was also a matter of defence. The more recent conflicts are a little more 'controversial' in their justification.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 13 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 12 2011, 07:26 PM) *
Re post #4: where is Somerset Park?

(Sorry - can't edit quotes easily on my phone.)

Somerset Park was the gardens of Greenham House (former residence of the Somerset family, owners of the Newbury Brewery).

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 13 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Went to the Remembrance Day service in the Market Place today - the first time I have seen the place packed. The service seemed to go off well enough without a memorial in the background - wreaths were laid on the memorial after the service as the various groups marched past the memorial down West Mills for the church service.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 13 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It was really good today. I think that they should look at making it permanent and move the memorial there, if there is somewhere it can go.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 13 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Second that - whole thing went off very well. Heartening to see so many, both on parade and supporting.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 13 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Thatcham was packed!!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 13 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 13 2011, 07:42 PM) *
Thatcham was packed!!

You want a campaign Richard - get them to put Thatcham war memorial back in the Broadway where it belongs.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 13 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 13 2011, 09:31 PM) *
You want a campaign Richard - get them to put Thatcham war memorial back in the Broadway where it belongs.

I think the current location works well, the whole car park and all along the A4 was full. Not sure The Broadway would be big enough?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:42 PM