Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parkway - how's it going?
Sherlock
post Mar 21 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

Has anyone heard recently how the Parkway development is doing in terms of footfall? Many of the shops seem pretty dead during the week, particularly Debenhams. On the few occasions I've visited Debenhams hardly has any customers - 10 or so at the most on weekday mornings. I hope they make up the difference at the weekend. I've also heard rumours that John Lewis aren't very pleased with the performance of their Newbury store. Is there any truth in this? It would be a great shame if this development fails and I'd feel particularly sorry for the staff who have worked so hard.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Mar 21 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

Seems busy at the weekends whenever I am in town. On the rare occasion that I am there during the week it's certainly quieter, but then it would be, wouldn't it? From what I can see it's as busy as the rest of the town centre. Go on then, which rumors have you heard and from where?

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Mar 21 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

QUOTE (massifheed @ Mar 21 2014, 04:43 PM) *
Go on then, which rumors have you heard and from where?

As I mentioned, the rumour was about John Lewis's performance and the source was a friend of my wife's, if that's of any help. As a big fan of John Lewis's electrical department - and the shop generally - I hope it's just a rumour.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 21 2014, 10:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I was there on Sunday and it was pretty packed, it was a nice day though. We had a picnic in Victoria Park which was also packed. Good times!

+Quote Post
pbonnay
post Apr 18 2014, 09:28 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,791

Not wishing to derail the intention of this thread, but I would just like to remember Mark Williams - the forklift handler who was killed during the construction of Parkway in July 2011. RIP.

A couple of weeks ago Costain Ltd was found guilty of health and safety breaches that had contributed to the tragic event. Sentencing is listed for next week.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Apr 18 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Did you know him? I paid a visit to the site during construction and everyone was so nice to me and my wife. I was a little sad when it happened because of that.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 18 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

In reality all retailers are having a bad time. Parkway is actually a pretty good design and does replace a dreadful old bomb site that gave the town an unkempt, draggle tailed impression. Very sad that the local councils haven't done their best, simply by not playing straight as usual, but we do have something many similar sized towns would give a lot for.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
pbonnay
post Apr 19 2014, 04:25 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,791

QUOTE (Strafin @ Apr 18 2014, 03:21 PM) *
Did you know him? I paid a visit to the site during construction and everyone was so nice to me and my wife. I was a little sad when it happened because of that.

No I didn't know him but, like many others, came across the accident just after it had happened.

Amongst all the squabbling about Parkway and the damage to Victoria Park, it would be the decent thing not to forget about this poor man and his family.

It will be interesting to see what sentence the Court imposes.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 20 2014, 10:16 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (pbonnay @ Apr 19 2014, 05:25 PM) *
No I didn't know him but, like many others, came across the accident just after it had happened.

Amongst all the squabbling about Parkway and the damage to Victoria Park, it would be the decent thing not to forget about this poor man and his family.

It will be interesting to see what sentence the Court imposes.

You are quite right. It would be quite fitting to follow the practice of a good few years back, where memorials were often added to big constructions to remember those who gad died during the works. Health and safety is often scoffed at; which makes it far too easy for attitudes to become complacent and for us to forget that construction works are still dangerous places.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Brad
post Jul 4 2014, 02:19 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 954

John Lewis... Overpriced. People come in to our electrical wholesalers with a John Lewis catalogue we get the manufacturer from there website. Call them and buy them at 70% off what Lewis charge

Maybe you should consider your favourite electrical store!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 4 2014, 03:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I would never take John Lewis prices as being a true reflection of what things should cost.

+Quote Post
Ciderdrinker
post Jul 4 2014, 03:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,764

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 4 2014, 04:03 PM) *
I would never take John Lewis prices as being a true reflection of what things should cost.

I purchased a laptop from John Lewis online and they were cheaper than Amazon and other resellers, plus I got additional 1 year warranty. Very happy with it.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jul 4 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Ciderdrinker @ Jul 4 2014, 04:15 PM) *
I purchased a laptop from John Lewis online and they were cheaper than Amazon and other resellers, plus I got additional 1 year warranty. Very happy with it.

Same here. I bought a TV from them that was the same price as other retailers, and it has a 5-year warranty on it for no extra cost.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Jul 4 2014, 05:32 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

Well it looks like you need a pass if you want to go into Parkway tomorrow !!!! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 4 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Brad @ Jul 4 2014, 03:19 PM) *
John Lewis... Overpriced. People come in to our electrical wholesalers with a John Lewis catalogue we get the manufacturer from there website. Call them and buy them at 70% off what Lewis charge

I'm sorry I don't understand this post.
Maybe it's me! rolleyes.gif
Are you saying that I can purchase electrical items from somewhere at 70% less than John Lewis prices?
If so could you elaborate please.
Thanks.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 5 2014, 10:37 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 20 2014, 11:16 AM) *
You are quite right. It would be quite fitting to follow the practice of a good few years back, where memorials were often added to big constructions to remember those who gad died during the works. Health and safety is often scoffed at; which makes it far too easy for attitudes to become complacent and for us to forget that construction works are still dangerous places.

How times change.
For example how many railway lines were closed which were built by the sterling efforts of thousands of men?
Here is an example of what was sacrificed although admittedly this line is still open, saved from closure in the 80's.

SETTLE CARLISLE LINE.

"The line was built by over 6,000 navvies, who worked in remote locations, enduring harsh weather conditions. Large camps were established to house the navvies, most of them Irish, with many becoming complete townships with post offices and schools. The remains of one camp—Batty Green—where over 2,000 navvies lived and worked, can be seen near Ribblehead.

A plaque in the church at Chapel-le-Dale records the workers who died—both from disease and accidents—building the railway. The death toll is unknown but 80 people died at Batty Green alone following a smallpox epidemic.

A memorial stone was laid in 1997 in the churchyard of St Mary's Church, Mallerstang to commemorate the 25 railway builders and their families who died during the construction of this section of the line, and who were buried there in unmarked graves."

It is shameful to the navvies' memory that so many lines were closed with such hast. Surely at least the formations could have been kept unless, as is now the case in many parts, the line was needed again.
Oh well!! sad.gif

+Quote Post
Oneilly
post Jul 5 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,987

QUOTE (Brad @ Jul 4 2014, 02:19 PM) *

What rubbish!

If so, john Lewis will price match and give longer guarantees.

+Quote Post
newres
post Jul 5 2014, 06:49 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Oneilly @ Jul 5 2014, 07:26 PM) *
What rubbish!

If so, john Lewis will price match and give longer guarantees.

They won't price match online prices.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 5 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

A lot of their products are exclusive as well so there is no comparison.

+Quote Post
Oneilly
post Jul 5 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 8,987

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 5 2014, 09:29 PM) *
A lot of their products are exclusive as well so there is no comparison.

That's all stores, Curry's were/are famous for changing the product code by one number so they can claim it as the cheapest price!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:49 AM