Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The unacceptable side of collective grief
lordtup
post Nov 9 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 164

I wish to express ,not only mine but Ladytup's also , our total outrage regarding the criticism of Gordon Browns letter of condolence to the mother of the soldier killed on active service in Afghanistan .

Putting aside the political issues of our involvement in the area this is a most unedifying display of gutter journalism . Anyone who takes the Queen's shilling by joining the armed forces does so on the understanding that they may be asked to fight . This is the reality of living in a volatile world . Any loss of life is devastating to the immediate family , but grief is a private matter and respect for those concerned should be paramount .

In this particular instance , after first losing her son and then receiving a hand written letter of condolence from the Prime Minister , the grieving mother sees fit to not only criticise the man's handwriting but to do so in the most public of arenas the tabloid press .

To criticise any one's handwriting is bad form , to do so in such circumstances is deplorable .

I am no lover of the present incumbent in no 10 , but I do accept that he wrote the letter with the most honourable of intentions .

The paper concerned has no interest in the families emotions other than to use the story to hold the Prime Minister up to ridicule in order to sell their wretched rag .

Both mother and paper should take stock of their actions and offer apologise to Mr Brown as I do now as a gesture of respect to the man .

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 9 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Hear, Hear! Couldn't have put it better myself.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 9 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I can't help but agree. The media have learnt that since the death of Diana collective grief sells papers, so they use it to make money whenever they can. It's despicable.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Nov 9 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

Well said Lordtup.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Nov 9 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Sarah @ Nov 9 2009, 08:49 PM) *
Well said Lordtup.

Put me down for that, too, Lordtup

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 9 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I disagree, I think the letter is a bit cynical and obviously not written with any care. I think if you're going to pull that kind of stunt you should try a bit harder and at least get the name right. Maybe it's not for the press, but maybe it's not for the prime minister to consolidate the families anyway - especially as he is partly responsible for the soldiers being there in the first place. To be honest the man wasn't elected and shouldn't be in the job anyway so I welcome any criticism that might make him leave it a bit earlier.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 9 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I don't think this is about collective grief, this is about undermining an office. It is also about exerting political pressure on an increasingly unpopular military theatre. This does expose the Prime Minister to political clumsiness that might suggest that he isn't fit for his office. I wouldn't have expected such a clumsy letter from a more 'rounded' politician.

Again, I don't think this is about collective grief.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Nov 10 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #8

Guests

The Sun = Gutterpress at it's worst on this "issue".

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 10 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Nov 10 2009, 10:00 AM) *
The Sun = Gutterpress at it's worst on this "issue".

It does not get away from the fact that our Prime Minister is a buffoon though. blink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Nov 10 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 10 2009, 10:58 AM) *
It does not get away from the fact that our Prime Minister is a buffoon though. blink.gif

Good point and well presented. As is the post about the Sun news paper and the origanal post for this. The Sun did this to sell news papers.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Nov 10 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I was a hand-written, personal letter. Perhaps she would have preferred an immaculately presented, word-processed letter with perfect spelling and grammar?

On the subject of collective grief, what ever happened to a dignified and respectful moment of silence? It seem that now people seem unable to manage it and insist on clapping.

To me, it's coarse, common and more suitable to a carnival.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 10 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Nov 10 2009, 01:51 PM) *
I was a hand-written, personal letter. Perhaps she would have preferred an immaculately presented, word-processed letter with perfect spelling and grammar?

I expect so, but I would imagine she would prefer her son back.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 10 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I don't think anyone comes away from this unsavoury argument with very much credit.
Gordon Brown once again appears to be an inept buggling oaf.
The Sun is exploiting a death in order to grandstand and sell papers.
The Government is put in an awkward position to defend it's policy regarding the lack of equipment for the troops.
I feel that the boys mother is trading her dignity against raising awarness of, not only Gordon's clumsiness, but also the lack of helicoptors in Hellmand. In her grief her actions are forgiveable as she needs to kick back but sadly the others aren't.
But it must not be forgotten that the lad was a Soldier and accepted the risks that go with that brave job.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Nov 10 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 10 2009, 01:56 PM) *
I expect so, but I would imagine she would prefer her son back.

Of course, so why make all this fuss when the PM was obviously trying to make his expression of sorrow at her loss as personal as possible. A handwriting expert on the Beeb yesterday was claiming that Mr Brown hadn't actually made any spelling mistakes that he himself did not correct, but that his handwriting was wonky and showed signs of stress.

The Sun is now even criticising his demeanour at the Cenotaph and how he looks when he goes jogging FFS! Pathetic! angry.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Nov 10 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

One must also be aware that the war in Afghanistan is continuing because of Parliament's wish .

If Parliament , as a collective body , decreed that troops should be withdrawn from this theatre of conflict then they would be . Gordon Brown as Prime Minister carries a lot of political weight but he would have difficulty vetoing a Commons majority .

When this debacle first started under the auspices of Tony Blair I do not recall to many "honourable" members voicing their objection , apart from a few left wingers who were more concerned about the Afghans than British troops .
Neither do I recollect , apart from the Guardian , any of our beloved press condemning our involvement .
Now all of a sudden they are taking the high moral ground for the sake of political expediency .

Unfortunately the family concerned are being dragged into a bear pit for the entertainment of the masses .
When this becomes yesterday's news ( which it soon will be ) she will be forgotten by those who at present purport to be her new found friends , but her son will still be dead and his name will be synonymous with a grubby little headline not the sacrificial accolade that befits any who serve and perish for their country

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 10 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (lordtup @ Nov 10 2009, 02:35 PM) *
One must also be aware that the war in Afghanistan is continuing because of Parliament's wish .

If Parliament , as a collective body , decreed that troops should be withdrawn from this theatre of conflict then they would be . Gordon Brown as Prime Minister carries a lot of political weight but he would have difficulty vetoing a Commons majority .

When this debacle first started under the auspices of Tony Blair I do not recall to many "honourable" members voicing their objection , apart from a few left wingers who were more concerned about the Afghans than British troops .
Neither do I recollect , apart from the Guardian , any of our beloved press condemning our involvement .
Now all of a sudden they are taking the high moral ground for the sake of political expediency .

Unfortunately the family concerned are being dragged into a bear pit for the entertainment of the masses .
When this becomes yesterday's news ( which it soon will be ) she will be forgotten by those who at present purport to be her new found friends , but her son will still be dead and his name will be synonymous with a grubby little headline not the sacrificial accolade that befits any who serve and perish for their country

I wish I had said that. Very eloquent sir.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Nov 10 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #17

Guests

And all this on the eve of Remembrance Day! It is very sad.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 10 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Nov 10 2009, 02:33 PM) *
Of course, so why make all this fuss when the PM was obviously trying to make his expression of sorrow at her loss as personal as possible. A handwriting expert on the Beeb yesterday was claiming that Mr Brown hadn't actually made any spelling mistakes that he himself did not correct, but that his handwriting was wonky and showed signs of stress.

The Sun is now even criticising his demeanour at the Cenotaph and how he looks when he goes jogging FFS! Pathetic! angry.gif

I understand that Ms Janes contacted The Sun and that no money has been exchanged. I suspect, therefore, that this is a collective effort to discredit the PM.

I doubt, however, that the stress and anguish felt by the PM would be as great as that felt by close families of those perishing in Afghanistan.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 10 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 10 2009, 06:54 PM) *
I understand that Ms Janes contacted The Sun and that no money has been exchanged. I suspect, therefore, that this is a collective effort to discredit the PM.

I doubt, however, that the stress and anguish felt by the PM would be as great as that felt by close families of those perishing in Afghanistan.

For whatever reason, our forces are engaged in an armed conflict. Sanctioned by our democratically elected government. Like it or not; representing the will of the people. Your comment is, of course accurate. The Prime Minister has taken the trouble of sending a hand written letter of condolence to a serviceman who has paid the utlimate sacrifice for his Country. Its rather sad that this has been thrown back at him by the gutter press. I for one am very very glad that this isn't 1940 - with the attitudes on display from certain quarters today.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 10 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 10 2009, 09:53 PM) *
For whatever reason, our forces are engaged in an armed conflict. Sanctioned by our democratically elected government.
Don't forget that the public also voted that Government back into power in 2005.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:31 AM