Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Police 'routine stop & check'
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 104

We had been to Tesco with our 8 yr old daughter, headed home, just going down our road, police car past us going the opposite way, we carried on, next thing we know its up our backside, we pull up outside our house and they flash the 'blues' at us, so obviously had followed us. To catch up with us they must have floored it as its a country road, with nowhere to turn easily !!! So they had to do that to then catch up with us.

Copper got out, smug expression, hubby asked what the problem was, he just said "oh you know fella, just a routine stop check". My daughter was actually quite frightened, although i am not sure why, probably the 'unknown' as we arent in the habit of associating with police, good or bad!

Anyway, they basically had this 'air' of 'ha ! we are the law, can do what we like, when we like and stuff you'. They got my back up with the way they spoke/looked and the way they made a very obvious / un-nesessary / determined decision to make a u-turn on a country road (they did more wrong than US !!!!!) and follow us, then hassle us basically.

As we were home, we WERE able to show my husbands (clean! :-) ) driving license, they called in and checked and WOW - the car IS insured IS taxed IS MOT'ed and bless them, even checked the tyres for us, how kind, they were FINE !!!!

How about they go and find people who are ACTUALLY breaking the **** law !!! Not someone who doesnt even LOOK like they are breaking it !!! Both of us are hard working parents of 3, who pay everything required and drive legally !! No criminal convictions EVER !!

Took the next 2 hours to try to explain, over & over & over & over to our daughter WHY we had been stopped. The lights were also NOT needed, we had pulled into a parking space !!! Idiots. Lets hope they never need my help. Yes i am annoyed, i am sure i will get 'oh they are only doingtheir jobs' etc etc. i KNOW that, but i dont care, its called 'random rants' and thats what i feel like doing after they WASTED most of my evening by the time i settled my daughter !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 13 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Can you describe what a criminal looks like?

+Quote Post
regor
post Aug 13 2009, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

In this case I should say "Yes, Tall youngish men wearing dark blue serge suits with shiney buttons"

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 13 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (regor @ Aug 13 2009, 11:53 AM) *
In this case I should say "Yes, Tall youngish men wearing dark blue serge suits with shiney buttons"

Helpful rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 13 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Can you describe what a criminal looks like?

Yep - here they come ...... soooooo witty

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 13 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Rose8 how do the police know that a car is not carrying a criminal unless they stop it and check?????????

As for you not looking like you were breaking the law, have you ever seen a sign on a car that say's "I AM BREAKING THE LAW"?? Thought not.

The police are criticised if they do and criticised if they don't? Just can't win.
You knew you had done nothing wrong so why get so angry at being stopped?

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 13 2009, 12:04 PM) *
Rose8 how do the police know that a car is not carrying a criminal unless they stop it and check?????????

As for you not looking like you were breaking the law, have you ever seen a sign on a car that say's "I AM BREAKING THE LAW"?? Thought not.

The police are criticised if they do and criticised if they don't? Just can't win.

Read my original post !!!!!!!!!!!!! i have explained it perfectly clearly.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 13 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

It seems such stop and searches is a common occurrence in Newbury nowadays. In the last month I've seen quite a few (in the high street). I must say that I haven't seen any results by stopping those youths (and they are always youths), but then again that isn't the point... is it? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I know what you are saying GMR.

I think its the way they went about it and spoke etc, got my back up xx

Was nice to wave them off, knowing they didnt get any 'results'. Lets hope the people who REALLY needed them / WERE breaking the law / speeding.... etc etc didnt mind waiting for them :-)

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 13 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 13 2009, 12:04 PM) *

Quite agree.

Criminals drive cars to and from crime. FACT
Routine stops have resulted in crminals being caught red-handed. FACT.

Peter Sutcliffe (The Yorkshire Ripper) was caught as a result of a routine stop.
Donald Neilson (The Black Panther). Ditto.

You were home safe and sound with nothing more than a slightly, if not unusual story to tell. Well Boo Hoo. There are families up and down the country who wish their husband, wife, sons and daughters hadn't made a routine stop as they would be alive today.

I suggest you have a look Here and read some of the names and circumstances.

I expect 'll be accused of being "sooooo witty".

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 13 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rose8 @ Aug 13 2009, 12:07 PM) *
Read my original post !!!!!!!!!!!!! i have explained it perfectly clearly.

Yes I have several times and I still don't understand what exactly your wound up about????? Generally just the police doing their job by the looks of it??

Ok so their attitude might not have been the best but given that you seem to be so angry about it I think that you may have been associating your anger to their attitude.

Im sure if you had been hit by an uninusred driver whilst on your way home from Tesco then you would have blamed the police for not doing enough to tackle that. Random vehicle stops are legal and neccesary to combat a great deal of crimes and road safety issue's.

Like I said you never see cars displaying signs that say "IM BREAKING THE LAW"!!!! By the way what time of night was it??

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

OSSY1 .......... oh dear !!!!!!!!!!!!

See heres a story !!!!!!!!!! We WERE hit by IDIOTS (probably uninsured, but no they didnt have a label so i couldnt tell!!!) along the A339, 2 'boy racers' RACING, side by side, we came round bend, HEAD ON !!! WE went into a tree !!! We lost our car, hubby hurt, my ribs cracked, my 14 month old DAUGHTER in the back seat !!!!!!!!!!!

My hubby got breathalised .............. he PASSED !!!!!!!!!!!! Never drinks a drop when driving !!!!!!!

We did nothing wrong, were the people who were racing caught .......... what do YOU think !!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

What time of night was it ................... 8pm

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 13 2009, 12:15 PM) *
Quite agree.

Criminals drive cars to and from crime. FACT
Routine stops have resulted in crminals being caught red-handed. FACT.

Peter Sutcliffe (The Yorkshire Ripper) was caught as a result of a routine stop.
Donald Neilson (The Black Panther). Ditto.

You were home safe and sound with nothing more than a slightly, if not unusual story to tell. Well Boo Hoo. There are families up and down the country who wish their husband, wife, sons and daughters hadn't made a routine stop as they would be alive today.

I suggest you have a look Here and read some of the names and circumstances.

I expect 'll be accused of being "sooooo witty".

Nope wont accuse you of anything ........... everyone entitled to their opinion rolleyes.gif xxxxxxxxxx

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 13 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

There's clearly no point in trying to talk sense with you.....you are a very angry person!!! Just generally it seems!!

I assume when you say they werent caught then they didnt stop, do you have any details of their vehicles??

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 13 2009, 12:29 PM) *
There's clearly no point in trying to talk sense with you.....you are a very angry person!!! Just generally it seems!!

I assume when you say they werent caught then they didnt stop, do you have any details of their vehicles??

Think what you like about me ..... fact is you are very wrong, but never mind.

Yes whilst i was ploughing into a tree, i stopped time and took their reg no's !!!

There is no point in trying to talk sense to me, i wasnt aware you were. Its the fact that i have an issue, made a point, you didnt like it that i actually have an experience of someone breaking the law after what you said about uninsured drivers do you!! NO they didnt stop, even though they WOULD have been fully aware they caused an accident, we could all have been killed. Luckily there was a very nice man, behind the 2 racers, who DID stop, DID give an account to the police and helped us with our very scared little girl.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 13 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Rose8 @ Aug 13 2009, 12:39 PM) *
Think what you like about me ..... fact is you are very wrong, but never mind.

Yes whilst i was ploughing into a tree, i stopped time and took their reg no's !!!

There is no point in trying to talk sense to me, i wasnt aware you were. Its the fact that i have an issue, made a point, you didnt like it that i actually have an experience of someone breaking the law after what you said about uninsured drivers do you!! NO they didnt stop, even though they WOULD have been fully aware they caused an accident, we could all have been killed. Luckily there was a very nice man, behind the 2 racers, who DID stop, DID give an account to the police and helped us with our very scared little girl.

Don’t let people upset you, you’ve put a good debating topic up. Some will see your point and agree wholeheartedly and others will dismiss you as a fool (we've all been there); it is part and parcel of forum life. By the way I understand what you were saying.

I don’t have problems with stop and search, but there are ways and means (I think in a lot of cases it is about intimidation)... also we are not far off a police state in this country.

Glenn

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I know Glenn, i agree and i realise what you are saying / doing. Thankyou.

Shona x

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 13 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Rose8 the point I am trying to make (albeit you keep shouting at me)! Is that the police were doing their job.

Stopping cars is how they catch people doing wrong, your very angry that it just happens to have been you that was stopped! You were all in order, end of matter.

As for having experience of someone breaking the law I got no issue with you mentioning that, why would I???

I got it in buckets loads.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Aug 13 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

Did the police actually give an explanation as to why they made such an effort to pull you over? To me it seems like they could have run a lot of the necessary checks, while tailing you, before pulling you over. It seems strange to me that they would target a family, what sort of car do you have?

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:39 AM