Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

QUOTE (bloggo @ Aug 11 2009, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 11 2009, 03:21 PM)
One can not help but see the knee jerk reaction applied by the well meaning, but somewhat naive contributors.
This response is smug, pretentious and patronising. It is clear that you may not care about this innocent child but other contributors do.

While lordtup's comment did appear to be insensitive, I can't see how you can legitimately accuse him of not caring for the innocent child. I think there is some truth in what he says, albeit difficult to digest at this point in time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 11 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Instigator @ Aug 11 2009, 04:07 PM) *
To be honest, I know some people think that the death penalty may not prevent some of these things from happening, (I actually think it would, as this may be the only thing that gets through some of those twisted minds) but it would stop them from being released in a few years with new identities to live a free life, which none of them deserve.

Agreed 100% Good post.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 11 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 11 2009, 04:15 PM) *
This response is smug, pretentious and patronising. It is clear that you may not care about this innocent child but other contributors do.
While lordtup's comment did appear to be insensitive, I can't see how you can legitimately accuse him of not caring for the innocent child. I think there is some truth in what he says, albeit difficult to digest at this point in time.

It's simple, he shows no empathy for the child. He is just exercising his ego.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 11 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Actually, it was hard to tell which was Bloggo and which was quote.

(Sheesh! Caught out by page 2-itis again.)

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 11 2009, 04:24 PM) *
It's simple, he shows no empathy for the child. He is just exercising his ego.

I feel he is demonstrating a rational thought, albeit, one that makes people feel uncomfortable. I'm sure lordtup, feels every sympathy for the deceased child. No right minded person wouldn't. Indeed, he showed this by his comment regards people who perhaps shouldn't, being able to bring life into this world, being let by society destroy life.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 11 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #26

Guests

I'm with Bloggo on this,

To be honest, I know some people think that the death penalty may not prevent some of these things from happening, (I actually think it would, as this may be the only thing that gets through some of those twisted minds) but it would stop them from being released in a few years with new identities to live a free life, which none of them deserve.

I think you'll find I am too, if you read back a bit further on this thread.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 11 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I'm with Bloggo on this,

People say that the death penalty isn’t a deterrent... so! The death penalty is for those that have taken away somebody else’s life or abused children... sod a deterrent!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 11 2009, 04:39 PM) *
Actually, it was hard to tell which was Bloggo and which was quote.(Sheesh! Caught out by page 2-itis again.)

QUOTE (bloggo)
QUOTE (lordtup)
One can not help but see the knee jerk reaction applied by the well meaning, but somewhat naive contributors.

QUOTE (bloggo)
QUOTE (lordtup)
If capital punishment was still on the statute books it wouldn't have prevented this, or any other recent atrocity , occurring. What it would have done is appeased the conscience of the masses so they could sleep at night in the belief that justice has been served.
How do you know? Just another inappropriate remark.

QUOTE (bloggo)
QUOTE (lordtup)
It is a strange sort of society that issues licences to breed other species but allows anyone with the necessary "bits" to not only bring life into this world , but a free hand to remove it ,before action is taken.
I agree with you on this but I want to do something about it not sit back and accept it.

QUOTE (bloggo)
QUOTE (lordtup)
My views may be simplistic , but the judicial system won't prevent these tragedies , that is down to each individual.
Yes your view is simplistic and the whole point of a judicial system is to protect the innocent.

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Aug 11 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #29

Guests

Can't believe that these 'people' will be free to walk the streets again putting our children at risk. As abusers of children will they have to report to the police once a week? Do their names go on a register for people to look up (ie like Megan's Law here where all registered child abusers are put on a list and you can google an area and see if these 'people' live near you)?

The system fails us if these 'people' are allowed to secretly re-integrate with society. They should be locked up for the rest of their unnatural lives. It's not the absence of a death penalty that's the problem, it's the absence of common sense sentencing.

Point to consider though, if the same justice system that gives away such light sentences will also be responsible for imposing capital punishment should it ever be in place, do we have any doubts they would send many people to their deaths who are not guilty of the crimes they are convicted of?

To the advocates of capital punishment what would be a 'fair' balance? 10 child killers put to death vs 1 innocent man? Would this be a trade-off you could live with? If not what number? Because that second number is important and would be quite real.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 11 2009, 04:43 PM) *
People say that the death penalty isn’t a deterrent... so! The death penalty is for those that have taken away somebody else’s life or abused children... sod a deterrent!

I would prefer a workable deterrent, if I had the choice.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 11 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 11 2009, 04:47 PM) *

How do you know? Just another inappropriate remark.

I agree with you on this but I want to do something about it not sit back and accept it.

Yes your view is simplistic and the whole point of a judicial system is to protect the innocent.

Iommi.
I know how to quote the whole text but how do you quote selected parts of it?
Thanks

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 11 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 11 2009, 05:46 PM) *
Iommi.
I know how to quote the whole text but how do you quote selected parts of it?
Thanks

Quote as usual, but then just edit the text and delete the bit's you don't want.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Iommi.

Yes?

I know how to quote the whole text but how do you quote selected parts of it? Thanks

I'll PM you.

The code for the above looks like this, but swap < with [ and > with ].

<quote name='Bloggo' post='5222' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:46 PM'>Iommi.</quote>

Yes?

<quote name='Bloggo' post='5222' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:46 PM'>I know how to quote the whole text but how do you quote selected parts of it? Thanks</quote>

I'll PM you.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 11 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 11 2009, 05:42 PM) *
I would prefer a workable deterrent, if I had the choice.

Oh, I agree... if you could get one, but I don't think it is possible... human nature being what it is.

+Quote Post
Instigator
post Aug 12 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 179

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Aug 11 2009, 04:40 PM) *
I think you'll find I am too, if you read back a bit further on this thread.

Hi Bill,

I had read your comment earlier, and as much as I'm sure it upsets some people, I also agree with the statement you made. these people should lose any so called human rights once they stop acting human.

--------------------
INSTIGATOR

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 12 2009, 08:11 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

[quote name='Newbury Expat' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:39 PM' post='5218']

Point to consider though, if the same justice system that gives away such light sentences will also be responsible for imposing capital punishment should it ever be in place, do we have any doubts they would send many people to their deaths who are not guilty of the crimes they are convicted of?

You make a good and important point. Sadly there will be miscarriages of justice and it is inevitable that someone who later to be found innocent will be hung but I think this risk will be offset by the volume of innocent people who will be protected buy the threat that the death penalty brings with it.

To the advocates of capital punishment what would be a 'fair' balance? 10 child killers put to death vs 1 innocent man? Would this be a trade-off you could live with? If not what number? Because that second number is important and would be quite real.

I don't think you can quantify this figure as there is no fair balance. Innocent people being killed is a disaster but I can't see analternative that is any fairer.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 12 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 12 2009, 09:11 AM) *
You make a good and important point. Sadly there will be miscarriages of justice and it is inevitable that someone who later to be found innocent will be hung but I think this risk will be offset by the volume of innocent people who will be protected buy the threat that the death penalty brings with it.

would you still think it fair if it was a member of your family sent to the gallows wrongly? Would you shrug your sholuders & say, well, at least the other nine who went were gulity?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 12 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 12 2009, 12:26 PM) *
would you still think it fair if it was a member of your family sent to the gallows wrongly? Would you shrug your sholuders & say, well, at least the other nine who went were gulity?

Would you be happy if a member of your family was murdered – say a child - and the culprit (the murderer/ abuser) after a limited time – probably because of good behaviour – was set free, while that family member will never have the privilege of seeing life again? Is that justice? One would have thought that the murderer got the better deal out of it, while the ones left behind (the family of the murdered child) continue their life sentence of suffering. Is that fairness?

"Would you shrug your shoulders & say, well, at least the" murderer got his life back at the end of the day... I am satisfied.. would you say that?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 12 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

I think GMR and dannyboy both have a valid point and this is why this is such a difficult question, a moral maze if you like.

At the end of the day, a society that lets sociopaths out early is not likely to be one that will endorse the death penalty. So the argument is rather pointless in this regard.

Moving back on topic somewhat, Steve Barker wasn't convicted of murder, it is unlikely, therefore, he would have hung for this offence alone.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 12 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Bloggo - I tried to send you a PM but as far as I can see it didn't work (stupid system!). Please let me know if you got it.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:53 PM