Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Daily Limit?
user23
post Aug 9 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

Should there be a limit to the amount one can post in a day on this form to avoid a few people taking it over by bombarding it with comments?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 9 2009, 11:13 AM) *
Should there be a limit to the amount one can post in a day on this form to avoid a few people taking it over by bombarding it with comments?

This is a free country and a free forum It is not a case of some replying too much, but those that don't hardly reply at all. It is also not a case of 'bombarding' with comments but expressing ones views.

As my dad used to say "what is one man's meat, is another man's poison.

+Quote Post
regor
post Aug 9 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

Not sure how that would work.
A fixed quota for each day or a running average spread over (say) 10 days.

I might have a little burst one day, write several comments but then not actually go near the computer for a couple of days. (Comes of having other things to do in my life ) so if there is to be a limit I would prefer the running average sort.

Mind you, in my very first post to this forum, amongst other things I sort of suggested that some members were using it mainly to score points of each other and the response was that not one single person agreed with me and everyone thought the forum as it exists is the best thing since sliced bread. (Still I don't like sliced bread either)

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Aug 9 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

It does appear that the postings and replies are being subscribed to by just a few and read by many.
Maybe not everyone wants to comment but that is their choice.If everyone posted a comment then the diversity of views would only enhance the forum as a whole. As far as I am aware there is no limit set by the moderator so there seems no reason to change.
If on the other hand you are getting fed up with seeing the same names cropping up as contributors then I think maybe you should ask the question " Should we have an online forum at all ".

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 9 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 11:26 AM) *
This is a free country and a free forum
It's not actually a "free" forum it's owned by a private company and they could set whatever rules they wish within reason.
QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 11:26 AM) *
As my dad used to say "what is one man's meat, is another man's poison.
Firstly that phrase doesn't actually make any sense and secondly I'm not taking about meat, I'm talking about a load of tripe with a bit of spam thrown in too. wink.gif
QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 9 2009, 01:12 PM) *
Maybe not everyone wants to comment but that is their choice.
Perhaps they just feel drowned out by those who seem to be constantly hogging the conversation and seem to have a view on everything?

Just a thought, this might not be the case at all, but it's one reason why forums like this are never taken seriously as an indicator of public opinion by some, including Government.

There's always one or two, to use a spoken word phrase, like the sound of their own voice to the detriment of others.
QUOTE (regor @ Aug 9 2009, 11:56 AM) *
Mind you, in my very first post to this forum, amongst other things I sort of suggested that some members were using it mainly to score points of each other and the response was that not one single person agreed with me and everyone thought the forum as it exists is the best thing since sliced bread. (Still I don't like sliced bread either)
I would agree with you, I missed what you said as it was drowned out by two or three pages of following comments from the same people.

If one wants a qualify forum, one must limit the quantity with which some post, for the good of everyone.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Firstly that phrase doesn't actually make any sense and secondly I'm not taking about meat, I'm talking about a load of tripe with a bit of spam thrown in too.

First the phrase does make sense and it is a well known phrase. What you mean is you don’t understand and because of that it doesn’t make sense to you; it is a pity you couldn’t be honest with yourself. As for talking trip; again that is your opinion and not shared by the people on here; I say that because of the way people on here responded to my posts others. You seem to have a problem with intelligent posters on here.

It's not actually a "free" forum it's owned by a private company and they could set whatever rules they wish within reason.

And within their rules and provided one follows a certain etiquette they are free to use.

Perhaps they just feel drowned out by those who seem to be constantly hogging the conversation and seem to have a view on everything?

And what is wrong with having views on ‘everything’? It is called intellect. In fact there are quite a few people on here who have a wide knowledge on a lot of subjects. Obviously you feel intimidated by this. Maybe you are of the same mind as Pol Pot and wants to exterminate those that have more than one view or show any signs of intelligence.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 9 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 04:28 PM) *
First the phrase does make sense and it is a well known phrase. What you mean is you don’t understand and because of that it doesn’t make sense to you.
I understand exactly the intent of the phrase but every metaphor must have at least some grounding in real life, this doesn't seem to. Perhaps you could tell me what I consider meat might be poison to you?
QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 04:28 PM) *
And what is wrong with having views on ‘everything’? It is called intellect.
You imply that to have a view on something is intelligent. What one had racist views on a number of subjects? You are saying that would show intellect.

I have to disagree and am hardly likely to be intimidated someone who thought that expressing racist views is showing intellect. I would actually feel a bit sorry them.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 9 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

No, that would just stifle debate. The number of posts isn't limited so one person posting a lot doesn't stop anyone else from having their say as well.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 9 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 9 2009, 04:58 PM) *
No, that would just stifle debate. The number of posts isn't limited so one person posting a lot doesn't stop anyone else from having their say as well.
Too many comment from "pub bore" types stifle debate as the conversation moves on too quick for some to have their say.

Sure they can reply to a point made a few pages ago, but most people won't as it breaks up the flow of the debate.

People might think a bit more about what they say and we'd had quality over quantity.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 9 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

That's stupid, if people want to contribute they can, if they can't be near a computer they might miss their chance but that's life I'm afraid. I miss all sorts because my wife wants to use the laptop, sometimes right in the middle of something I feel really strongly about. Limiting the number of posts wouldn't stop this either.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 9 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 9 2009, 05:06 PM) *
That's stupid, if people want to contribute they can, if they can't be near a computer they might miss their chance but that's life I'm afraid. I miss all sorts because my wife wants to use the laptop, sometimes right in the middle of something I feel really strongly about. Limiting the number of posts wouldn't stop this either.
As I said, the conversation wouldn't move on so quickly and you would have your chance to reply on the subject.

I don't see what's "stupid" about helping those who aren't so vocal, be heard.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 9 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 9 2009, 05:10 PM) *
As I said, the conversation wouldn't move on so quickly and you would have your chance to reply on the subject.
It would still move on as quickly, maybe nobody would post ubtil a hot topic came up and would then use all their "credit" on that point, thus it would move on at the same pace.I don't see what's "stupid" about helping those who aren't so vocal, be heard. They are on a forum, not in a public meeting, if they are not vocal then they probably won't enjoy being here anyway!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I understand exactly the intent of the phrase but every metaphor must have at least some grounding in real life, this doesn't seem to. Perhaps you could tell me what I consider meat might be poison to you?

What it means is; you find certain things distasteful, others see it differently than you do. “What is one man’s meat, is another man’s poision.”

You imply that to have a view on something is intelligent. What one had racist views on a number of subjects? You are saying that would show intellect.

You imply that having many views is wrong, I say that a person who has many views can be considered intellectual. Granted there are those that have many views, but actually say nothing.

I have to disagree and am hardly likely to be intimidated someone who thought that expressing racist views is showing intellect. I would actually feel a bit sorry them.

Who said that “Someone who thought that expressing racist views is showing intellect”? I didn’t.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 9 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 05:57 PM) *
Who said that “Someone who thought that expressing racist views is showing intellect”? I didn’t.
You implied that to have a view on something is intelligent.

Do you think those that expressed their views to the poor woman in the "Racism in Newbury" thread by pelting her house with eggs were intelligent?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

You implied that to have a view on something is intelligent

I must apologise. When I write I always presume that the reader is intelligent/ understands what I say, obviously that is not always the case.

Do you think those that expressed their views to the poor woman in the "Racism in Newbury" thread by pelting her house with eggs were intelligent?

I never said it was and if you had read my posts you would have known that, instead of criticising try observing.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Hi User23,

Instead of saying we write rubbish or our posts are too long how about setting an example and dazzle us with your intellect and put us all to shame. Show us the way to the Promised Land… Play Jesus or Muhammad for the day – these boards probably need a prophet – and show us how it is done. You never know you might intimidate us so much that we might be too frightened to walk where your shadow has fallen. In other words lead by example. wink.gif

Regards,

Glenn

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 9 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Come on now GMR, you and I both know User23 is not here to contribute or have a debate, he's just here to try and cause trouble, and try to change how the boards work as we are clearly having too much fun.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 9 2009, 09:10 PM) *
Come on now GMR, you and I both know User23 is not here to contribute or have a debate, he's just here to try and cause trouble, and try to change how the boards work as we are clearly having too much fun.

True wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Aug 9 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

I really can't see the point of this thread User23. I rarely post, but do enjoy reading the posts of the regular members, without their contributions there would be little to read, and the forum would die a death.

One little thing I noticed, you do seem to misinterpret members posts, maybe you should lighten up a little and not take things so seriously, it's only a forum, not exactly life and death.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 9 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 06:09 PM) *
I never said it was and if you had read my posts you would have known that, instead of criticising try observing.
Commenting on anything and everything does not imply intellect as you have tried to suggest, it implies a need for attention. You've actually backed this up with the words "try observing"; you might as well have typed "look at me!!!".

Ironically, if you had not replied to this thread over and over again in such a rude manner and then posted your bizarre diatribe about religious icons, then perhaps I wouldn't have had a point. As it is you have demonstrated exactly what I was taking about. Thanks.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:14 AM