Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On Common Ground
Phil_D11102
post Oct 4 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 846

I have nothing against art. I like art. I do have issues with art when it "symbolises the transition of Greenham Common" while not acknowledging what it transitioned from.

I have contacted the GC Trust, and both the WBDC and the NDC regarding a plaque or monument to those who served up at Greenham, only to be passed on. No one is interested.

Since WWII to the beginning of 1994 when the MOD Police left the base, THOUSANDS of service personnel and civilians worked up at the base. Babies were brought to their first homes there, and few folks died up there in non combat operations. All those who were stationed there gave their all, regardless of which flag they served under.

Sure, there were monuments to the POW/MIA and to those who died in the glider crash, but nothing to the contributions of those who took off from Greenham for the invasion of Europe, to those directly in the front line of the Cold War.

Sure, it may be P.C. or great news coverage to have a monument to those who caused untold amounts of money in damage, or to recognise what was made of the site after everyone left, but there should be shame on those who either ignore or wish to gloss over the fact that GC is a historical military site.

To transition from on one thing to another, there has to be something there first. When will that fact be recognised?

I really shouldn't be surprised, as just look at the state of the the museum.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Oct 4 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Oct 4 2010, 05:55 PM) *
I have nothing against art. I like art. I do have issues with art when it "symbolises the transition of Greenham Common" while not acknowledging what it transitioned from.

I have contacted the GC Trust, and both the WBDC and the NDC regarding a plaque or monument to those who served up at Greenham, only to be passed on. No one is interested.

Since WWII to the beginning of 1994 when the MOD Police left the base, THOUSANDS of service personnel and civilians worked up at the base. Babies were brought to their first homes there, and few folks died up there in non combat operations. All those who were stationed there gave their all, regardless of which flag they served under.

Sure, there were monuments to the POW/MIA and to those who died in the glider crash, but nothing to the contributions of those who took off from Greenham for the invasion of Europe, to those directly in the front line of the Cold War.

Sure, it may be P.C. or great news coverage to have a monument to those who caused untold amounts of money in damage, or to recognise what was made of the site after everyone left, but there should be shame on those who either ignore or wish to gloss over the fact that GC is a historical military site.

To transition from on one thing to another, there has to be something there first. When will that fact be recognised?

I really shouldn't be surprised, as just look at the state of the the museum.

I am often up on the common walking the dog and sometimes with the children as well. I have always thought that it is such a shame that an important site in Newbury is not made more of. I am from outside of Newbury originally and it would be informative and educational if the various places were made more of. A sign at each place of importance telling visitors what used to be there, what used to happen there and who used to work there. The Control Tower is one example, in my humble opinion, is a missed opportunity as it could be used, once renovated, as a museum and coffee/tea stop.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Oct 4 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

And just maybe, the fact we are all still here thanks to the deterrent provided Greenham and the likes will also be remembered and thanked for.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 4 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I like the new sculpture. I get the evolution of flight from one block to another with the development of wings, and I get the metaphor of the steel rusting as the military base goes back to nature. I think it's a fitting comment without any commentry. The base represents an extended period of struggle and conflict that has more dimensions than an evolution from WWII to Cold War, and not everyone is going to feel the same about that so I think a little ambiguity is a good thing.

And I think it is a crying shame that the control tower is not a tea shop/interpreation centre. It's an interesting building that's rotting away, and it would be really convenient for a coffee after a walk round with the dogs.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 5 2010, 07:36 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 4 2010, 06:11 PM) *
And just maybe, the fact we are all still here thanks to the deterrent provided Greenham and the likes will also be remembered and thanked for.

I reckon there is no "maybe" about it. Without the deterent in the past we would have been at great risk. In an uncertain future I hope that successive governments maintain our ability to protect ourselves.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 5 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I think there were a number of 'good' things from having the USAF at Greenham, although I remember our headmaster having concerns about benzine, the flight path, and the placement of our school.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Oct 5 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 5 2010, 10:22 AM) *
I think there were a number of 'good' things from having the USAF at Greenham, although I remember our headmaster having concerns about benzine, the flight path, and the placement of our school.

They tried to blame a cancer cluster to the base, but of course that was found to be untrue. There was more risk of something happening due to the delays of building and maintenance on the NDC in giving planning permission. How much money and employment for the local economy was generated by the base and the Air Tattoo's?

It's a shame and outrage that such a major historical military site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eisenhower_d-day.jpg) is not recognised, nor appreicated for the sacrifices and hard work by so many. 9 years to the day when the USAF left, tdhe world changed forever (Sept 11, 1992). I wonder if the superpowers kept up their vigliance, would such a day had occurred?

Anyway, each time I walk on the common I remember the good times there. Each time I pass the main gate I get angry when I see the "peace garden" and know that there is nothing there to remember how important that site is. It's a sorry state of affairs when permission was given to those who did their utmost to create damage and havoc are remembered, but those who swore to give their lives if necessary are not. Those who worked inside the wire are vilified, and those outside were glorified.

Again, efforts to try to get something going for those who worked inside the wire have fallen on deaf ears.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 5 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Oct 5 2010, 12:45 PM) *
They tried to blame a cancer cluster to the base, but of course that was found to be untrue. There was more risk of something happening due to the delays of building and maintenance on the NDC in giving planning permission. How much money and employment for the local economy was generated by the base and the Air Tattoo's?

It's a shame and outrage that such a major historical military site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eisenhower_d-day.jpg) is not recognised, nor appreicated for the sacrifices and hard work by so many. 9 years to the day when the USAF left, tdhe world changed forever (Sept 11, 1992). I wonder if the superpowers kept up their vigliance, would such a day had occurred?

Anyway, each time I walk on the common I remember the good times there. Each time I pass the main gate I get angry when I see the "peace garden" and know that there is nothing there to remember how important that site is. It's a sorry state of affairs when permission was given to those who did their utmost to create damage and havoc are remembered, but those who swore to give their lives if necessary are not. Those who worked inside the wire are vilified, and those outside were glorified.

Again, efforts to try to get something going for those who worked inside the wire have fallen on deaf ears.

I totally agree.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 5 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

And me.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 5 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Oct 5 2010, 12:45 PM) *
They tried to blame a cancer cluster to the base, but of course that was found to be untrue.

I think concern came from the cluster being the most dense in the take-off and landing paths. Even if there was something in it, governments would be reluctant to admit anything.

On topic: isn't there some kind of memorial on the site itself?

There was talk of having the parts of the site as a living museum. I worked on NGP for a while. We were shown round the command centre, ammo dept, etc. It was surprising how antiquated everything was. It is like being inside a 1960s school terrapin!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Oct 5 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

There was a POW/MIA and a memorial to those who died in a 1944 glider accident, but I believe they have all been moved to RAF Welford.

There were some rumblings about a British Legion memorial, but again that is for those who have perished in their duties.

I have no issue with these sort of memorials, as I think they are right and fitting. History is passed on by the living, not the dead (sorry to be so blunt). There are hundreds of people, possible thousands who worked on the base still living in the area, and there is not a word of their contribution. This is where I think a monument would be fitting.

We were shown round the command centre, ammo dept, etc. It was surprising how antiquated everything was. It is like being inside a 1960s school terrapin!

laugh.gif I used to work in the area down by the command center. At the time, it was state of the art. I agree that it could be turned into a museum. I helped organise a tour of the GAMA after the missles left, and the admission was a new toy that would be distributed at a Christmas party on the base to children in the area nominated by social services. It's a shame we can't continue doing something like this. Over 100 children attended, and we also gave money to social services to help those children who couldn't attend the party. I would love to be a tour guide on these tours.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 5 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

When NGP is finished, there won't be a single bit of the former USAF base left.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 5 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 5 2010, 02:12 PM) *
I think concern came from the cluster being the most dense in the take-off and landing paths. Even if there was something in it, governments would be reluctant to admit anything.

There was talk of having the parts of the site as a living museum. I worked on NGP for a while. We were shown round the command centre, ammo dept, etc. It was surprising how antiquated everything was. It is like being inside a 1960s school terrapin!

Wasn't the cancer scare connected to the alleged nuclear incident?

Personally I think a monument should be errected to the collosal waste of cash spent up there asa a pertinent reminder to future generations.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Oct 5 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

errr, no. There was never any evidence of any radiation coming from the base.

Personally I think a monument should be errected to the collosal waste of cash spent up there asa a pertinent reminder to future generations.

And you may not of had an opportunity to post such a comment if it wasn't for the base and the work people put in there.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 5 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 5 2010, 11:20 PM) *

There was concerns about possible high levels of radio activity, but tests found nothing wrong.

Some time ago (around 10 years ago I think), people were invited to attend a meeting at the WBC Market St offices to discuss an unusual level of the incidents of cancer in the town. When the 'incidents of cancer' map was revealed, it took some people by surprise. The highest concentration of incidents were in the areas under the landing and take-off paths for the base, although there were other incidents in other areas of the town as well.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 6 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Oct 6 2010, 12:12 AM) *
errr, no. There was never any evidence of any radiation coming from the base.

And you may not of had an opportunity to post such a comment if it wasn't for the base and the work people put in there.

Which I why I called it a 'scare'.

There was a rumour of a nuclear incident which was looked into & found not to have happened, although the fact that the UK & US governments tried to hush the whole thing up didn't help.

Rather a big may not I think.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Oct 6 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

There was a rumour of a nuclear incident which was looked into & found not to have happened, although the fact that the UK & US governments tried to hush the whole thing up didn't help

How can you hush up something that never happened?

There was concerns about possible high levels of radio activity, but tests found nothing wrong.

You can thank those sitting outside the gates for that scare mongering. You never heard about the 100 links of fence that were cut down one night, at a cost of around 1000 quid per links. That happened after the missiles left and just a little before the last of the USAF personnel left the base. Again, the press was friendly to those outside the gate causing chaos, havoc and damage.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 6 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Oct 6 2010, 10:31 AM) *
You never heard about the 100 links of fence that were cut down one night, at a cost of around 1000 quid per links.

You'll have to explain what a link of fence is.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 6 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Oct 6 2010, 10:31 AM) *
How can you hush up something that never happened?

You can thank those sitting outside the gates for that scare mongering. You never heard about the 100 links of fence that were cut down one night, at a cost of around 1000 quid per links. That happened after the missiles left and just a little before the last of the USAF personnel left the base. Again, the press was friendly to those outside the gate causing chaos, havoc and damage.

There was an incident in 1958. Trying to cover it up is bound to lead to theories & thus the need decades later for these theories to be quashed. The initial rumours about a Nuclear incident were first alledged by 2 AWE scientists in 1961...

Talking about the fence, what about the eventual treaty that required the 14 miles of fence be removed in 1" lengths?

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Oct 6 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

You'll have to explain what a link of fence is

On a chain metal fence, the link is the fencing between the two posts, about 10 to 15 feet.

There was an incident in 1958. Trying to cover it up is bound to lead to theories & thus the need decades later for these theories to be quashed. The initial rumours about a Nuclear incident were first alledged by 2 AWE scientists in 1961...

There was a parked B47 that was destroyed in that incident, but it is really doubtful that it was carrying a nuclear device, as alert aircraft are usually paired up and not so close to a hanger.

Talking about the fence, what about the eventual treaty that required the 14 miles of fence be removed in 1" lengths?

Are you talking about some agreement between the MOD and the NDC?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:54 PM