Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Town Centre Crime, ...check the Police Crime Map
wabbit
post Oct 21 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312

Re-assuring to have just read that Newbury Town Centre is not only currently a desolate wasteland, seemingly mired in dubious planning decisions, but is also an area of 'above average crime' according to Thames Valley Police Crime Mapping (http://maps.police.uk/).

Although crimes of robbery, violence and anti-social behaviour are apparently only 'average', burglary and vehicle crimes are 'high' (now there's a surprise).

Quite honestly, I find it all pretty depressing. Still, since Newbury is hoping to be the new Reading, be comforted by the fact that Reading town centre is even worse with levels of all crimes achieving a 'high' rating.

Anyone else considering moving away? sad.gif

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 21 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Couple of questions here, where have you just read that Newbury is a desolate wasteland?

And if Newbury is a desolate wasteland who's committing all this crime?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 21 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 21 2009, 08:22 PM) *
Couple of questions here, where have you just read that Newbury is a desolate wasteland?

And if Newbury is a desolate wasteland who's committing all this crime?

Well said - and if it's a wasteland, then what's worth nicking?

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 21 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Oct 21 2009, 08:51 PM) *
Well said - and if it's a wasteland, then what's worth nicking?
Exactly, so apparently despite there being nothing to steal and no one to steal it, crime is sky-high in Newbury Town Centre.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 22 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 21 2009, 09:23 PM) *
Exactly, so apparently despite there being nothing to steal and no one to steal it, crime is sky-high in Newbury Town Centre.

A very glib reply that ignores the Police's own figures.
The town is in a mess and the level of ASB and low level crime is unacceptable.
I hope that senior Police officers are taking it seriously.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Oct 22 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 21 2009, 09:23 PM) *

Err? Sorry I hadn't realised you had the sole rights to Exaggeration on this forum User!! tongue.gif

I didn't need to read that Newbury is a desolate wasteland; I've got this remarkable ability to see and, unless my eyes are deceiving me, parts of the town are a desolate wasteland just now. Of course I realise that the upheaval caused by the Parkway development is only temporary, but I'm afraid I find the whole cobbled Market Place now just a windswept depository of the previous night's garbage and bodily fluids - which, in my opinion, doesn't exactly add to the 'ambiance' of the town.

Just to put the record straight, I didn't say that the Police Crime Map designated the Newbury town centre crime rate as 'sky high' (it is 'above average'). Please go check it out yourself and, if you own a property in the town User, you may wish to reflect on the fact that, like it or not, prospective buyers and maybe even prospective retailers too, may well check out this website and think again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 25 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Oct 22 2009, 10:23 AM) *
A very glib reply that ignores the Police's own figures.
I'm not ignoring anything, I'm asking how can these figures be true if Newbury is a "desolate wasteland"?
QUOTE (wabbit @ Oct 21 2009, 12:35 PM) *
Re-assuring to have just read that Newbury Town Centre is not only currently a desolate wasteland
QUOTE (wabbit @ Oct 22 2009, 11:32 AM) *
I didn't need to read that Newbury is a desolate wasteland;
You seem to be arguing with yourself.

I'll ask again, if Newbury is a desolate wasteland (with therefore nothing in it and no-one inhabiting it) how come you're also saying that crime is "sky high"?

You can claim one or the other, but claim both and you contradict yourself. Reactionary rubbish like this is easily pulled apart with simple logic as demonstrated by Hugh Saskin.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 25 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 25 2009, 08:41 PM) *
I'm not ignoring anything, I'm asking how can these figures be true if Newbury is a "desolate wasteland"?You seem to be arguing with yourself. I'll ask again, if Newbury is a desolate wasteland (with therefore nothing in it and no-one inhabiting it) how come you're also saying that crime is "sky high"? You can claim one or the other, but claim both and you contradict yourself. Reactionary rubbish like this is easily pulled apart with simple logic as demonstrated by Hugh Saskin.

Perhaps what was meant is that apart from the drunk yobs, Newbury's market place is a desolate wasteland?

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 26 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 25 2009, 09:53 PM) *
Perhaps what was meant is that apart from the drunk yobs, Newbury's market place is a desolate wasteland?
Whenever I walk past the restaurants in Newbury's Market Place on a weekend they seem full to bursting and not with "drunken yobs".

One thing it's not is a "desolate wasteland". Talking down Newbury business with untruths like this can only harm it.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 26 2009, 08:47 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 26 2009, 08:23 AM) *
Whenever I walk past the restaurants in Newbury's Market Place on a weekend they seem full to bursting and not with "drunken yobs". One thing it's not is a "desolate wasteland". Talking down Newbury business with untruths like this can only harm it.

I think it is neither as well, but, a weekend is only two days out of seven and the market square is often left unused and usually comes across as a glorified taxi pickup point.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Oct 27 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 25 2009, 09:41 PM) *
I'm not ignoring anything, I'm asking how can these figures be true if Newbury is a "desolate wasteland"?You seem to be arguing with yourself.

I'll ask again, if Newbury is a desolate wasteland (with therefore nothing in it and no-one inhabiting it) how come you're also saying that crime is "sky high"?

You can claim one or the other, but claim both and you contradict yourself. Reactionary rubbish like this is easily pulled apart with simple logic as demonstrated by Hugh Saskin.

I do find it hard to follow your logic User blink.gif . and, whilst I applaud your loyalty to WBC in defending your whole raison d'etre, I do wonder why you persist in defending the (in my opinion) indefensible 'chavving up' (or should that be down?) of our town by trying to trash opinions here which differ from your own with comments like 'reactionary rubbish'

I repeat, I did not say crime was 'sky high' - and I did try to qualify my possibly exaggerated term 'desolate' in that I was referring to the crater that was Park Way. I also did not 'talk down Newbury businesses with untruths' - sorry User, but I do think you don't read comments carefully enough and you may be the reactionary one here.

However, I do not retract my comments about Market Place - your experience there would appear to be mostly nocturnal whereas mine is not. Market Place is mostly not a particularly pleasant place to be during the day by virtue of the fact that it feels like the morning after the night before - all day. Sure, it may come alive at night and what the eye doesn't see or the nose cannot smell clearly doesn't matter to you, but trust me, to most ordinary people, Market Place during the day is a pretty grim, greasy cobbled white elephant.

I have voiced my opinion now User - I really wanted to draw attention to Newbury's crime rate - which I've done. I really don't intend to return to this subject so let's agree to disagree, shall we wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 27 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wabbit @ Oct 27 2009, 04:58 PM) *
I do find it hard to follow your logic User blink.gif . and, whilst I applaud your loyalty to WBC in defending your whole raison d'etre, I do wonder why you persist in defending the (in my opinion) indefensible 'chavving up' (or should that be down?) of our town by trying to trash opinions here which differ from your own with comments like 'reactionary rubbish'

I repeat, I did not say crime was 'sky high' - and I did try to qualify my possibly exaggerated term 'desolate' in that I was referring to the crater that was Park Way. I also did not 'talk down Newbury businesses with untruths' - sorry User, but I do think you don't read comments carefully enough and you may be the reactionary one here.

However, I do not retract my comments about Market Place - your experience there would appear to be mostly nocturnal whereas mine is not. Market Place is mostly not a particularly pleasant place to be during the day by virtue of the fact that it feels like the morning after the night before - all day. Sure, it may come alive at night and what the eye doesn't see or the nose cannot smell clearly doesn't matter to you, but trust me, to most ordinary people, Market Place during the day is a pretty grim, greasy cobbled white elephant.

I have voiced my opinion now User - I really wanted to draw attention to Newbury's crime rate - which I've done. I really don't intend to return to this subject so let's agree to disagree, shall we wink.gif
I'm not sure what "WBC" have to do with this, you seem to be blaming the Police and now "WBC" for areas of the town being desolate, when it's quite clearly not.

What your initial comments seem to boil down to is that you're complaining there is no one in the Market Place during the day, when most ordinary people are at work. You've changed your claim however in your latest post to refer to Park Way which is far from desolate during the day, in fact it seems a veritable ants nest. Sure it's empty in the evening but isn't that preferable to the boy racer's playground that was there before?

I really wish people would engage their brain before putting hands to keyboard and talking Newbury down like you've done. It only reflects badly on yourself and the town. Please, have a think next time and yes, let's agree to disagree on this subject.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:50 PM