IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera Resigns as Deputy Leader of Newbury Council!, he has 'no confidence' in the leader
Andy Capp
post Jul 31 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

An interesting headline in the NWN this week, it seems that Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera has resigned after receiving no support for his request to conduct an investigation into whether the council failed to apply for recouping costs for the legal fees with it's 'battle' with Costain. He says, amongst other things, that he has 'no confidence' in the leader (of the council), Julian Swift-Hook. Julian Swift-Hook claims to have the respect of other members of the council from all political persuasions, apparently. Mr Swift-Hook also went on to be quoted as saying that he is restricted with what he can say about the 'Costain' case for legal reasons.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Aug 1 2014, 11:56 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

Dear Forum Members,

No matter what has happened, I will be on the Town Hall steps tomorrow participating in the 'Councillors Surgery' so feel free to come and have a chat. I can assure everyone, that I may have taken a knock, but I am far from being out!

Whoever said that doing what is right will be easy?

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 1 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I fear that, if there is any truth to that which Simon Kirby has posted, you are on a hiding to nothing. Not that I think that will stop you of course! tongue.gif What is not clear to me is what it is the council are not doing that you think they should. I suspect that there is information that is not public that would better explain the issue at hand.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 1 2014, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Wot? A resignation on a point of principle? Round here? Has the town clock stopped? Will the real Liberal Democrat please stand up? ......oh he has! Can we cope with democracy breaking out?

No, it isn't easy but no matter my politics, I for one applaud your stand.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Aug 1 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

A local Politician with principles? rolleyes.gif

I know I am one of the biggest cynics when it comes to local politicians but I too applaud you for your stand but it is going to take a heck of tsunami to shift the grip of the local few that controls our little tin pot council. Many have tried over the years but with little or no success to date?
Even with Simon Kirby enlisted to the rebel forces, as if they would allow him, it will take a nuclear device me thinks to make any change? rolleyes.gif

Good luck from me anyway RUP. or as the local yoot say respect! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 1 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I think after all RUP's bluster about everyone getting involved to make a difference "from the inside" this is a fairly hypocritical move. Almost like throwing toys out of the pram.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Aug 1 2014, 04:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 1 2014, 04:52 PM) *
I think after all RUP's bluster about everyone getting involved to make a difference "from the inside" this is a fairly hypocritical move. Almost like throwing toys out of the pram.

I don't see it as hypocritical at all. He has publicly announced an issue where NTC have made a mistake and criticised JSH for not being supportive (or probably trying to sweep the issue under the carpet). Well done RUP.

Has JSH ever done anything worthwhile for Newbury?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 1 2014, 04:53 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

He's still on the council; he's resigned as Deputy Leader. He cannot remain as Deputy Leader if he hasn't the backing of his colleagues.

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Aug 1 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Dear Forum members,

I have not stood down from the Town Council and remain a very active member of the Liberal Democrat Party, so I do not see that any toys have been thrown out of the pram or anywhere else.

Currently I do not seem to have the total support of my colleagues, but thankfully this is not a prerequisite for representing the public, and something that I was used to whilst a serving police officer.

As for continuing to challenge inappropriateness I will carry on doing this, for I have concerns about how other people may have been inappropriately treated in the past, and whether a reality or a perception I believe that these matters need to be addressed so that the residents of Newbury can feel with some confidence that the Town Council truly represents them.

I obviously cannot discuss specifics in a public forum, so I would merely ask that you keep demanding that openness and transparency becomes the norm with the Town Council, which has many dedicated Officers and Members who are committed to serving the interests of the public.

I look forward to continuing the positive engagement that has developed over the months in this forum, and I thank those people that have articulated their support, for doing what one believes is right, is sometimes unwelcome.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Aug 1 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I think it adequately displays just how entrenched out local politicos are in their ways and will not easily be dragged into making the changes that are required to enable the plebs to have any trace of confidence in a local council. "We know how to run a town council we don't need any Johnny come lately upsetting our little clique" rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 1 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Quite so, he hasn't resigned from the party, just from office. A Robin Cook job; yes, theatrical, but seems to be more through frustration than anything. Yes, I had great hopes for a new initiative. Nonetheless I think a good few of us have recognised the sclerosis in local politics; in both parties and sadly it looks as if treatment if at all, is likely to be protracted.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
nerc
post Aug 2 2014, 04:22 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

I applaud RUP for taking the action he did, there are not many councillors who would take this stance.

On another angle regarding the town council i believe that the town clerk is still on sick leave from his position.

Has this possibly something to do with the investigations regarding the Costain and Christmas market fiasco's?.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 2 2014, 08:16 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (nerc @ Aug 2 2014, 05:22 AM) *
I applaud RUP for taking the action he did, there are not many councillors who would take this stance.

On another angle regarding the town council i believe that the town clerk is still on sick leave from his position.

Has this possibly something to do with the investigations regarding the Costain and Christmas market fiasco's?.

What investigations?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 2 2014, 08:39 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

"It got difficult and no one wanted to play, so I went home" unsure.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Aug 2 2014, 02:20 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Dear Forum,

I wish to thank all of the people that took time to come and speak with me today whilst I was on duty on the Town Hall steps and offer their support for the actions that I have had to take. This was and remains very much appreciated.

Just to clarify a few matters though. At this point in time all I can say about the situation is that I uncovered and blew the whistle on what I perceived was/is a serious discrepancy in following an appropriate process that may have led to many thousands of pounds of public money being needlessly spent. Subsequent to this disclosure, the Council received two grievances and immediately instigated two internal investigations led by the Tory Group.

Since offering my resignation as Deputy Leader I have been informed that the matter for which I blew the whistle is now being 'independently' investigated. To date I have not been contacted about what I know. Although belated, I am pleased that this investigation is now happening.

In order that natural justice and fairness are assured it is important that ALL of the investigations are completed in an appropriate manner, the findings assessed and due consideration is given before more is said.

I will though as I have assured everyone today continue as a Councillor and will not shirk my responsibility as an elected representative of the people of Newbury.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 3 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Aug 2 2014, 03:20 PM) *
In order that natural justice and fairness are assured it is important that ALL of the investigations are completed in an appropriate manner, the findings assessed and due consideration is given before more is said.

Another round of secrecy, let's hope this doesn't last as long or there will be a large hump under the town hall carpet.

So, you said that the grievance(s) were being investigated by the Tory Group, and I bet they will love that. But then you suggested that your whistle blowing was being investigated by an independent body. Where do they come from I wonder.

It does beg the question, is there not a Council standards committee, to investigate possible irregularities or even assess what is going on in the council's dealings with external bodies or their own internal dealings.

The town/parish councils seem to often be at each others throats either because of mis-management or bullish councillors. Cold Ash had a spat a while back I seem to remember and weren't there problems with bullying in Hungerford council followed by a resignation. When Newbury Town Council was set up, the premise was that it would be apolitical, working for the good of the community. That didn't last long.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 3 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

But is this a case of wrong doing, or 'just' competence?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Aug 3 2014, 06:54 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

And of course these new investigations will take even more time and no doubt cost us plebs even more money and on it goes! rolleyes.gif
If this council had any sort of principal they would all resign, it's just a wonder they have had the neck to stay as long as this? rolleyes.gif
I was just wondering how long it is going to take for the plebs to say enough is enough and get rid of this bumbling town hall clique?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
CharlieF
post Aug 5 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,706

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Aug 3 2014, 06:29 PM) *
The town/parish councils seem to often be at each others throats either because of mis-management or bullish councillors. Cold Ash had a spat a while back I seem to remember and weren't there problems with bullying in Hungerford council followed by a resignation. When Newbury Town Council was set up, the premise was that it would be apolitical, working for the good of the community. That didn't last long.

Well then isn't it about time the voices calling for a return to just that are heard?

+Quote Post
CharlieF
post Aug 5 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,706

When someone espouses a new party as a cynical fast track to getting elected, it's not really surprising that there should be repercussions when the first stresses are placed on the marriage of convenience. Time perhaps to come out as Labour all along or rather more bravely (and dare I say more honestly?) as an independent!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:52 PM