IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parking in Newbury Town Centre, ...pricing workers out?
JeffG
post Sep 2 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

Glad you agree with me. My preferred shopping takes place either in the supermarket or the retail park (or more usually, on line).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 2 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 2 2011, 04:26 PM) *
Glad you agree with me. My preferred shopping takes place either in the supermarket or the retail park (or more usually, on line).

Ditto. The town as a shopping experience has become an anachronism. At least these days I don't have to bother even going to Reading or Basingstoke for those special things that Newbury couldn't cater for. If I shop in town, that means I have screwed-up some where.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 2 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 2 2011, 04:59 PM) *
Ditto. The town as a shopping experience has become an anachronism. At least these days I don't have to bother even going to Reading or Basingstoke for those special things that Newbury couldn't cater for. If I shop in town, that means I have screwed-up some where.

I was in another town recently and noticed how few 'High Street' names there were, apart from banks etc. Nearly all 'local' shops, and doing well. Newbury has lost its way, I think...

As to the cost of parking... Is it for the Council to provide parking for employees? Just a thought... Maybe that is something the employer should take more responsibility for?

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Sep 3 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

There are not enough unemployed in Newbury to fill up the jobs in Parkway, so most will come from Wantage/Andover/Didcot which means a car. Parking permits, petrol prices means it's proving difficult to attract these people. All this was discussed on the other forum in 2005-6, but nobody listened.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Sep 7 2011, 05:59 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

I've just found the answer to my original post - on 'the other forum' and the answer is that Parkway parking will be even more expensive than WBC car parks. Great angry.gif

Although I know we should welcome this as it means more revenue for WBC, I don't believe £1 an hour is sensible pricing givn the dire state of the retail sector. Maybe some 'initiatives' should be considered to stimulate trade?

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 7 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wabbit @ Sep 7 2011, 06:59 AM) *
I've just found the answer to my original post - on 'the other forum' and the answer is that Parkway parking will be even more expensive than WBC car parks. Great angry.gif

Although I know we should welcome this as it means more revenue for WBC, I don't believe £1 an hour is sensible pricing givn the dire state of the retail sector. Maybe some 'initiatives' should be considered to stimulate trade?

I don't think it will mean more money for the council. The car park is private.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Sep 7 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 7 2011, 09:09 AM) *
I don't think it will mean more money for the council. The car park is private.

Er..yes, exactly. If (privately owned) Parkway is more expensive - people will use WBC car parks, hence more money in their coffers. That was my point tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 7 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wabbit @ Sep 7 2011, 12:03 PM) *
Er..yes, exactly. If (privately owned) Parkway is more expensive - people will use WBC car parks, hence more money in their coffers. That was my point tongue.gif

As there is currently no parking there, we might see a drop in parking revenue when it opens.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Oct 20 2011, 05:48 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

UPDATE

Have just read on the 'other forum' (you know, the one xjay hasn't heard of! wink.gif ) that the parking charge for Parkway will be £1.50 per hour.

Unbelievable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 20 2011, 08:27 AM
Post #30

Guests

I really have no idea what the forum was until I purposefully went looking for it. I haven't signed up to it. :|

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 20 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

What about Sunday charging?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 20 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (wabbit @ Sep 7 2011, 12:03 PM) *

Yes - but.

WBC is relying on the revenue from Parkway parking - they get a £300,000 a year share. If Parkway fails to attact enough parkers because of the lower price in WBC and other privately owned car parks in town there will be pressure on WBC to raise their prices.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 20 2011, 10:35 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

http://www.shopatparkway.com/customer-services/car-parking

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 20 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #34

Guests

Based on that link, I could park there for 3 days straight and only pay £12 if I "lose" my ticket.

Win.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 20 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 20 2011, 12:29 PM) *
Based on that link, I could park there for 3 days straight and only pay £12 if I "lose" my ticket.

Win.

It would be cheaper to park in the Northbrook St multi-storey - £10 for 'over 8 hours'. And you don't need to 'lose' your ticket.
http://www.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=20642

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 21 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

I noticed that on the new road signs showing the number of parking spaces available in the various car parks, that while the Kennet Centre and the Wharf have their own count, Northcroft and Park Way are lumped together. So how is that going to work?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 21 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 21 2011, 04:44 PM) *
I noticed that on the new road signs showing the number of parking spaces available in the various car parks, that while the Kennet Centre and the Wharf have their own count, Northcroft and Park Way are lumped together. So how is that going to work?

I haven't paid much attention to the new signs yet - is this a sign that would lead people towards Parkway and Northcroft (eg on the Robin Hood gyratory) showing the amount of parking available in both? If so it could lead towards another sign (eg on London Rd by the Travelodge) that would show Parkway and Northcroft separately. Effectively the first sign would be saying x spaces this way, the second being more precise.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 21 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 21 2011, 04:59 PM) *
I haven't paid much attention to the new signs yet - is this a sign that would lead people towards Parkway and Northcroft (eg on the Robin Hood gyratory) showing the amount of parking available in both? If so it could lead towards another sign (eg on London Rd by the Travelodge) that would show Parkway and Northcroft separately. Effectively the first sign would be saying x spaces this way, the second being more precise.

I have a feeling the signs to the S of town favour Kennet / Wharf, those the N PW & Northbrook st.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 21 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 21 2011, 04:59 PM) *

What he said....

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 21 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

(Argh - I just accidentally pressed Ctrl/W which closed the window I was typing in without warning, so here we go again...)

You are right, I guess, though that's not going to help anyone approaching from the south planning to park in Northcroft multi-storey if there are no further signs en route. I did notice they were busy erecting another sign on the Sainsbury's roundabout this afternoon, but that's not going to be visible from the south. It would be interesting to hear the locations of signs that people have spotted so far.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:07 AM