> Local Council Tax evader
gel
post Dec 26 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/viral-c...freed-from-jail

The unpaid tax must have been for quite an extended period, and though no one wishes to see anyone in clink for
Xmas, WBC are right in pursuing tax arrears for the benefit for the majority that do pay.

And surely she must have had multiple warnings of consequences of what potentially could have happened & did.
I wonder if she intends to start paying now?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 26 2014, 01:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It doesn't take long to rack up a £3k bill, WBC charge £90 a letter and hundreds for bailiff action and they are quite relentless in using those facilities. I have had my fair share of issues with them and have had the bailiffs round. I posted here about it at the time, and eventually WBC admitted they had screwed up and covered their own costs. I'm not suggesting they screwed up here but they can make things very difficult. I am glad this lady is out, it seems that those closer to her believe it is an inability, rather than a refusal, to pay.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 26 2014, 02:22 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Whether or not she was unable to pay, or refused to do so, the last sentence of that report suggests that she did not talk to the council about any problems she might have in paying. If she just ignored demands for payment, then unfortunate consequences were bound to follow.

Still we don't know the full story, so shouldn't speculate.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 26 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Not condoning her failure to pay but I thought debtor's prisons went out of the window in the days of Dickens.
Does that mean if somebody owes me money, I can get them locked up.?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 26 2014, 05:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's just court fine and council tax debts that you get thrown in prison for.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 26 2014, 05:23 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 26 2014, 01:49 PM) *
It doesn't take long to rack up a £3k bill, WBC charge £90 a letter and hundreds for bailiff action and they are quite relentless in using those facilities. I have had my fair share of issues with them and have had the bailiffs round. I posted here about it at the time, and eventually WBC admitted they had screwed up and covered their own costs. I'm not suggesting they screwed up here but they can make things very difficult. I am glad this lady is out, it seems that those closer to her believe it is an inability, rather than a refusal, to pay.

Another good reason to get rid of our two wasteful local authorities? rolleyes.gif
Or at least precept payers to question expenditures etc. ............. oh! unless they want to be classed as vexatious of course? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 26 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 26 2014, 05:23 PM) *
Another good reason to get rid of our two wasteful local authorities? rolleyes.gif
Or at least precept payers to question expenditures etc. ............. oh! unless they want to be classed as vexatious of course? rolleyes.gif

Yes, I'd go with that. We gaol someone for failing to pay a few quid council tax, yet we laud and honour those that spend it with such abandon, odd very odd.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 26 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 26 2014, 10:39 PM) *
Yes, I'd go with that. We gaol someone for failing to pay a few quid council tax, yet we laud and honour those that spend it with such abandon, odd very odd.

Why publish the photo on this thread? blink.gif
Or are we going to start doing this with all people that break the law? blink.gif

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Dec 26 2014, 11:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 26 2014, 05:23 PM) *

Exactly - Nick Carter can draw his six figure salary and fund his hair-brained vanity projects plus fund additional salary bonuses to attract "the right staff" meanwhile he can feck off back to Swindon and let the low paid help fund it.

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 27 2014, 07:29 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 26 2014, 10:50 PM) *
Or are we going to start doing this with all people that break the law? blink.gif

It does seem nasty doesn't it. Especially given the views gel puts forth.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2014, 07:40 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 26 2014, 10:50 PM) *

No idea, best ask the reporter. I would have thought a better illustration would have been a smiling executive.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 27 2014, 08:05 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2014, 07:40 AM) *
No idea, best ask the reporter. I would have thought a better illustration would have been a smiling executive.

The point is that the photo isn't on the NWN website. Gel has gone to the trouble of getting it from somewhere else which seems a bit spiteful.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 27 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

A prison sentence for failing to pay £3k of council tax does seem disproportionate. Here's the story of a woman who stole £3,000 worth of cigarettes from the Co-op, and she was give 170 hours of community work, and that seems pretty reasonable. I'm not sure I even agree that failing to pay council tax should be a criminal offence and I wonder that civil action wouldn't be the right way to go about this.

I would also contrast the severity of a 2-month prison sentence (which incidentally will have cost the state around £7,000 for the service) with the way in which our local councils spill hundreds of thousands of that tax annually with no accountability at all.7

Edit: In point of fact as WW points out below imprisonment for failing to pay council tax is not a criminal sanction and the individual is a Civil Prisoner - not something I knew even existed. This does indeed seem disproportionate to imprison someone in these circumstances.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2014, 11:20 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 27 2014, 08:05 AM) *
The point is that the photo isn't on the NWN website. Gel has gone to the trouble of getting it from somewhere else which seems a bit spiteful.

You've list me there. How is it spiteful? Simply news. It's just as 'spiteful' as publishing pictures of people's cars that have been bollarded, or businessmen that have failed, or anyone else. Sorry, but are you one of those who believe justice is best served in secret?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 27 2014, 03:17 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2014, 11:20 AM) *
You've list me there. How is it spiteful? Simply news. It's just as 'spiteful' as publishing pictures of people's cars that have been bollarded, or businessmen that have failed, or anyone else. Sorry, but are you one of those who believe justice is best served in secret?

I would question the motive of posting someones face, and also I wonder what the liklihood of it being the wrong person is?

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 27 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2014, 11:20 AM) *

Perhaps we should bring stocks back so you can throw cabbages at people that are on zero hours contracts at £7 an hour and can't afford their council tax.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 27 2014, 04:14 PM) *
Perhaps we should bring stocks back so you can throw cabbages at people that are on zero hours contracts at £7 an hour and can't afford their council tax.

Err no, read the posts. Yes, I'd like to see the stocks....for deviant bankers, overpaid public executives. I don't mind paying taxes, in fact I believe it's tight yo do so. However, I resent paying when the money is clearly wasted or misapplied. So, yes, I detest paying my TV licence fee and the precept to NTC and in the absence of any other effective means of protest, I can see why others take more drastic steps.

The only reason I didn't think Gel had done anything wrong or was in any way insensitive that the picture actually added to the story. It wasn't about a 'little old lady', but just an everyday individual...just like us. I don't like people who twist words to embellish stories to suit their preluduces. For instance, a recent report in the national press mentioned someone injuring a child - the child turned out to be a strapping youth of 17! But, according to the social worker, anyone under 18 is a child. So pictures help.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 27 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2014, 06:00 PM) *
Err no, read the posts. Yes, I'd like to see the stocks....for deviant bankers, overpaid public executives. I don't mind paying taxes, in fact I believe it's tight yo do so. However, I resent paying when the money is clearly wasted or misapplied. So, yes, I detest paying my TV licence fee and the precept to NTC and in the absence of any other effective means of protest, I can see why others take more drastic steps.

The only reason I didn't think Gel had done anything wrong or was in any way insensitive that the picture actually added to the story. It wasn't about a 'little old lady', but just an everyday individual...just like us. I don't like people who twist words to embellish stories to suit their preluduces. For instance, a recent report in the national press mentioned someone injuring a child - the child turned out to be a strapping youth of 17! But, according to the social worker, anyone under 18 is a child. So pictures help.

The article said a 52 year old woman and the picture showed a woman who looked about er... 52. Some crimes (rape, murder, robbery, mugging etc.) really do deserve to be publicly shamed. I don't think that this lady deserved to be in that category.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 27 2014, 06:11 PM) *
The article said a 52 year old woman and the picture showed a woman who looked about er... 52. Some crimes (rape, murder, robbery, mugging etc.) really do deserve to be publicly shamed. I don't think that this lady deserved to be in that category.

How is she being shamed? You've only listed offences against the person, what about financial crimes? Or crimes against the legal codes? Etc. Etc. Etc. Should we also ban the public from attending court? What does this lady deserve?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 27 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2014, 06:44 PM) *
Should we also ban the public from attending court?

There is a world of difference between the public attending a court hearing and posting a photo on a public forum. Don't you really see the difference?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:48 PM