Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Man steers clear of town after bollards smash'
Jamoza
post Aug 6 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

Newbury man vows to steer clear of town from now on following smash with notorious bollards

His wife, Jayne, said: “He had no idea these wretched things were there"

Where has he been for the last few years? & he didn't know they were there. Doesn't he read the news? Everyone in the town knows they are there!

“The signage is totally inadequate and it really is time that the council revised its safety methods.”

There is plenty of signage!

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10709

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Aug 6 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

Well not everybody who lives in and around Newbury is obsessed with bollards. The person in question may not read this forum or the NWN. They probably also don't spend hours debating the pros and cons of bollards down the pub with their mates or when they spend time with family and friends. Also they may not often drive in town i.e. this person lives quite close and may walk in more often than not.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Aug 6 2009, 12:22 PM) *
Well not everybody who lives in and around Newbury is obsessed with bollards. The person in question may not read this forum or the NWN. They probably also don't spend hours debating the pros and cons of bollards down the pub with their mates or when they spend time with family and friends. Also they may not often drive in town i.e. this person lives quite close and may walk in more often than not.

... basically what yo are saying is that he has got a life laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

West Berkshire Council spokesman, Phil Spray, has reiterated that bollards are an accepted and effective form of management….

Says who?

and the council is monitoring the number of incidents, to feed into a planned review of Newbury’s traffic management systems later this year.

Management system; run by morons for morons. Basically they haven’t got a clue.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Aug 6 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

What it should read is "Another idiot, tailgating, lazy, inattentive, bad driver, who can't read huge signs and warnings, smashes car and then wants to blame anyone and anything for HIS c*ck up" hits bollards.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 6 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Andy @ Aug 6 2009, 01:22 PM) *
What it should read is "Another idiot, tailgating, lazy, inattentive, bad driver, who can't read huge signs and warnings, smashes car and then wants to blame anyone and anything for HIS c*ck up" hits bollards.

If he had been caught wilfully doing 40 in a 30, he would gave got a ~£60 fine.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Aug 6 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

According to Top Gear, which has been voted best factual program I believe on numerus occaisions. Video footage was shown of a person tail gating a Bus and then getting bit by rising Bollards, was classed as bad driving.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 6 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Aug 6 2009, 01:42 PM) *
According to Top Gear, which has been voted best factual program I believe on numerous occasions. Video footage was shown of a person tail gating a Bus and then getting bit by rising Bollards, was classed as bad driving.

It is hardly going to be classified as good driving, basically it looked like the bloke (with child and presumably its mother on board) tried to rush the bollards. One cannot have any sympathy for a driver that is wilfully doing things like that. I do have some sympathy though for people who make a rather innocuous error, being punished so savagely.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 6 2009, 01:47 PM) *
It is hardly going to be classified as good driving, basically it looked like the bloke (with child and presumably its mother on board) tried to rush the bollards. One cannot have any sympathy for a driver that is wilfully doing things like that. I do have some sympathy though for people who make a rather innocuous error, being punished so savagely.

Don’t we all make errors? It is only others that see it as foolish wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Aug 6 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

And we are off again, pro-bollard vs anti-bollard, get your verbal abuses and weapons ready

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 6 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 6 2009, 12:36 PM) *
Says who?

Management system; run my morons for morons. Basically they haven’t got a clue.

Forgetting the typo GMR I think calling them morons is more than a tad offensive.

The morons are the ones who don't read traffic signs, like those who STILL drive right up to the cinema works and sometimes even try to drive round/through them!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 6 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 6 2009, 12:36 PM) *

West Berkshire Council spokesman, Phil Spray, has reiterated that bollards are an accepted and effective form of management….

Says who?

Umm. Phil Spray? wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Aug 6 2009, 02:32 PM) *
Forgetting the typo GMR I think calling them morons is more than a tad offensive.

The morons are the ones who don't read traffic signs, like those who STILL drive right up to the cinema works and sometimes even try to drive round/through them!

Fair point; however I am sure you would agree with me that such places do have their fair share of morons?

I am sure there are hard working people within such organisations, sadly they get overlooked by the more stupid elements. Many council workers, even on here, have acknowledged this. I’ve even worked for companies where the public believed that we were all morons; and they based that assumption on the people who follow the company policies/ rules verbatim. Irrespective of common sense, emotion or even understanding. In fact I would go one step further - judging by my own experience - and say that such companies employee a certain type of automaton to fit into their company philosophy.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 6 2009, 03:45 PM) *
Says who?

Umm. Phil Spray? wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 6 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Umm, how does someone who lives in Newbury plan to stay clear of the town? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 6 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 6 2009, 03:48 PM) *
Fair point; however I am sure you would agree with me that such places do have their fair share of morons?

I am sure there are hard working people within such organisations, sadly they get overlooked by the more stupid elements. Many council workers, even on here, have acknowledged this. I’ve even worked for companies where the public believed that we were all morons; and they based that assumption on the people who follow the company policies/ rules verbatim. Irrespective of common sense, emotion or even understanding. In fact I would go one step further - judging by my own experience - and say that such companies employee a certain type of automaton to fit into their company philosophy.

Not me!

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Aug 6 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 6 2009, 04:33 PM) *
Umm, how does someone who lives in Newbury plan to stay clear of the town? blink.gif

Considering he lives quite close to the town, i don't know laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 6 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #18

Guests

Next we'll be hearing his neighbour has been involved in an accident while cycling the wrong way up a one way street wink.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 6 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Wheyhey!!!!!!!!! it's a new "bollards" thread!!

At least it doesn't say they "rose up" under the car, although it does in the NWN.
(I won't go into that again blink.gif )

At least it's another crap driver who won't blight the town again! tongue.gif

P.S. How did they manage to get a new car they "couldn't afford"? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 6 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 6 2009, 01:38 PM) *
If he had been caught wilfully doing 40 in a 30, he would gave got a ~£60 fine.

Or, and, potentially far more dangerous - driving whilst using a mobile, with the tariff at just 3 points and 60 sovs. Far, far, too little a punishment, IMHO - if anyone deserves to have their cars taken and crushed it is these seriously anti-social people. Saw some pillock executing a right hand turn on a dual carriageway yesterday one handed with a phone stuck to his ear - grrrrrrrr!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:08 AM