Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Domestic Wood Burners, Good or Bad?
x2lls
post Oct 11 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 511

Last year, my immediate neighbour had one installed and now another, across the road has also installed one. We have not had any whiff of the first, but since the second one went in a few days ago, we have smelled it almost every evening. That is certainly due to the prevailing wind. We have our windows open all year round, so we now find the smell is in every room of our home.
My point here is, would the proliferation of domestic wood burners be counter to efforts to reduce carbon emissions? I think in the long term it would. Not to the degree to cause smog, as in the decades long gone, but surely it cannot be positive.
I must admit though, the smell of burning wood is nostalgic.
Whilst I have no objection (currently), surely it cannot be good for the environment.

Says a bloke who smokes and has barbeques!!!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Oct 11 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (x2lls @ Oct 11 2012, 07:19 PM) *
Last year, my immediate neighbour had one installed and now another, across the road has also installed one. We have not had any whiff of the first, but since the second one went in a few days ago, we have smelled it almost every evening. That is certainly due to the prevailing wind. We have our windows open all year round, so we now find the smell is in every room of our home.
My point here is, would the proliferation of domestic wood burners be counter to efforts to reduce carbon emissions? I think in the long term it would. Not to the degree to cause smog, as in the decades long gone, but surely it cannot be positive.
I must admit though, the smell of burning wood is nostalgic.
Whilst I have no objection (currently), surely it cannot be good for the environment.

Says a bloke who smokes and has barbeques!!!

Depending on what period of tie you are considering, wood burning is carbon neutral. You would only be releasing the the carbon that was sequestered during the growth of the trees.

Oil is effectively the same,, but was sequestered millions of years ago in the dinosaurs!

So as I say, it all depends on the time period you consider.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Oct 11 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

The burning of any fuel releases carbon into the atmosphere so no green credentials there . I had a wood burner installed when they first came out and spent every available weekend collecting logs.
I likened it to stoking a 4 6 2 without the advantage of cooking one's breakfast.
The heat generated was pretty darned non existent so I had it removed. Gas may be expensive but it is clean and does what I ask of it.
I may run the risk of being labeled anti social but the carbon footprint debacle is for world governments to sort out not individuals .

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 11 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Oct 11 2012, 08:01 PM) *
The burning of any fuel releases carbon into the atmosphere so no green credentials there . I had a wood burner installed when they first came out and spent every available weekend collecting logs.
I likened it to stoking a 4 6 2 without the advantage of cooking one's breakfast.
The heat generated was pretty darned non existent so I had it removed. Gas may be expensive but it is clean and does what I ask of it.
I may run the risk of being labeled anti social but the carbon footprint debacle is for world governments to sort out not individuals .

Individuals, gathered together, can achieve far more than governments.
I consistently go around my office each morning and switch off monitors, phone chargers etc, because those responsible for them just don't think, against company policy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 11 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (x2lls @ Oct 11 2012, 08:11 PM) *
I consistently go around my office each morning and switch off monitors, phone chargers etc, because those responsible for them just don't think, against company policy.

1. I bet they love you for that;
2. Not thinking is against company policy?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Oct 11 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (x2lls @ Oct 11 2012, 08:11 PM) *
Individuals, gathered together, can achieve far more than governments.

What a busy boy you must be. Obviously not very productive as the time spent wandering around messing with people's work spaces must save your company more than you could earn for them in the time spent. Touch my monitor/computer/pencil sharpener/stapler(electric) and you may find your kit sitting in the car park. Just as a matter of interesdt, how much electricity do you think a phone charger uses in a year.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 11 2012, 09:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Oct 11 2012, 08:50 PM) *
1. I bet they love you for that;
2. Not thinking is against company policy?

1. No one has yet complained, which goes to show the unthinking culture that causes the problem.

2. Yes, go figure

--------------------

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 11 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Oct 11 2012, 09:23 PM) *
What a busy boy you must be. Obviously not very productive as the time spent wandering around messing with people's work spaces must save your company more than you could earn for them in the time spent. Touch my monitor/computer/pencil sharpener/stapler(electric) and you may find your kit sitting in the car park. Just as a matter of interesdt, how much electricity do you think a phone charger uses in a year.

Not a very constructive response. You really think I spend ALL my time switching off stuff? You should try radical thinking. I am paid for 7.5 hours per day, but do at least 8.5, so I give more than I get paid for. Please, don't assume we have electric pencil sharpeners and staplers.
I am proactive in my role, so save the comapny many quids by preventing costly time spent fixing failures.
Think before you type.

Radical think..

We have a postroom on the second floor, which means each delivery and post requires a lift to adhere to Elf n safety. If that department were on the ground floor, no electricity would be required.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:49 PM