GMR
post Aug 7 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Aug 7 2009, 08:57 AM) *
And what about my husband? huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif

It goes without saying. If your husband is married to you - and obviously he is otherwise he wouldn't be your husband wink.gif - he must be intelligent; like goes with like wink.gif I am sure if he wasn’t intelligent when you first met him you would have knocked him into shape by now. tongue.gif wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 7 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

QUOTE (regor @ Aug 7 2009, 09:09 AM) *
and Oi! GMR and others - lay of us over 65's, we are effin brilliant at everything!

I won’t argue with you there… I will be there soon… well, in another 11 years… so I’ve got a few years to go yet before I am senile wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 7 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 7 2009, 09:34 AM) *
It was Strafin who made that highly offensive remark, which I replied to, but there has been no apology forthcoming so far.

Well spotted. I almost dived onto my sword before I noticed your reply. Then I had to read back. I usually get blamed for everything so I take it in my stride. It is nice to know it wasn’t me this time. Obviously my time for the rope around the neck wasn't yet laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 7 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 7 2009, 11:45 AM) *
I won’t argue with you there… I will be there soon… well, in another 11 years… so I’ve got a few years to go yet before I am senile wink.gif

There are some over 65s who shouldn't be driving but there are also a lot of under 25s also who shouldn't be on the road too.
I think this old boy thought he could beat the bollards just like most of the others and came unstuck.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 7 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 7 2009, 11:52 AM) *
There are some over 65s who shouldn't be driving but there are also a lot of under 25s also who shouldn't be on the road too.
I think this old boy thought he could beat the bollards just like most of the others and came unstuck.

I think he was tailgating and didn’t see the signs; that is why they are always hit.

I agree about some of the young; they shouldn’t be on the road.

+Quote Post
Wicca
post Aug 7 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 62

It's not just the young or the old, every age band has it's bad drivers. I got cut up on the sainsbury's roundabout to town a few days ago by some git in the wrong lane, he kind of gave away his intention though when he raced off the line. angry.gif dry.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Aug 7 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 6 2009, 12:36 PM) *
Says who?

Management system; run by morons for morons. Basically they haven’t got a clue.

So do you have a thing against morons ? Even morons have feelings don't you know.
Poor bunnies , lets all befriend one and say nice things about him / her / it.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 7 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 7 2009, 09:34 AM) *
It was Strafin who made that highly offensive remark, which I replied to, but there has been no apology forthcoming so far.

It wasn't offensive, it was a question and included one 65 year old, not all of them. I also agree that there are young drivers who are bad, men who are bad, women who are bad and some who are good in all these groups.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 7 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Are we to understand from this report that the offender is still driving?

Surely he should be charged with dangerous driving, or at the very least an assessment of whether he is fit to drive should be taken.

Don't forget this could have been an animal or worse yet, a small child. Do we really want local drivers with this sort of blatant disregard for safety on our roads?

I vote NO. How about you?

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Aug 7 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

On this particular matter I have to ask "do we really care if they ever come to Newbury again?" seeing as they are quite obviously trying to cover their stupidity with the old "It wasn't my fault guv, it was every one elses fault!" attitude !!! angry.gif Grrrrrr

You are the WEAKEST link, Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyye...................... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 7 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 7 2009, 05:28 PM) *
So do you have a thing against morons ? Even morons have feelings don't you know.

I agree... maybe we could have a day marked out for them laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 7 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Aug 7 2009, 07:50 PM) *
On this particular matter I have to ask "do we really care if they ever come to Newbury again?" seeing as they are quite obviously trying to cover their stupidity with the old "It wasn't my fault guv, it was every one elses fault!" attitude !!! angry.gif Grrrrrr

You are the WEAKEST link, Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyye...................... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Of course we care otherwise we'd have nothing to write about wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 7 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Aug 7 2009, 07:50 PM) *
When she says "He had no idea these wretched things were there", those who don't live in Newbury might not realise:

1) It is a 0.6 mile drive from Railway Road to Wharf Street

2) As the piece says, the first bollards were installed 10 years ago.

So unless they are new to the area I find her statement fairly surprising, at best.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 7 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 7 2009, 06:39 PM) *
It wasn't offensive, it was a question and included one 65 year old, not all of them.

Well, perhaps you should choose your words a bit more carefully. You said "At 65, it might be time for him to give up not just driving into town, but driving altogether.", which implies that he is too old to drive because he is 65. If being 65 is a reason to stop driving, then that seems a pretty general statement to me.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 7 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #55

Guests

QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 7 2009, 05:28 PM) *

OK lordtup I'll start by offering you my freindship laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 7 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Aug 7 2009, 08:42 PM) *
OK lordtup I'll start by offering you my freindship laugh.gif

That's it Billy, I see you are in fine spirits... keep up the good work wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 8 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 7 2009, 08:34 PM) *
Well, perhaps you should choose your words a bit more carefully. You said "At 65, it might be time for him to give up not just driving into town, but driving altogether.", which implies that he is too old to drive because he is 65. If being 65 is a reason to stop driving, then that seems a pretty general statement to me.

I do think people should think about giving up all sorts of things at 65 including driving, especially if they have just driven into a pedestrian zone as they weren't aware of it, despite living in the town. I think there should be a test of competence at 65, not a full driving test, but one that will test the basic skills of a driver and make sure they are still safe behind a wheel.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 8 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 8 2009, 12:41 PM) *
I do think people should think about giving up all sorts of things at 65 including driving, especially if they have just driven into a pedestrian zone as they weren't aware of it, despite living in the town. I think there should be a test of competence at 65, not a full driving test, but one that will test the basic skills of a driver and make sure they are still safe behind a wheel.

How many 65s, or over, have run over rising bollards in Newbury? Indeed, the highest risk age group are new drivers, perhaps they should give-up or be re-tested as soon as they are tested! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 8 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 8 2009, 12:59 PM) *
How many 65s, or over, have run over rising bollards in Newbury? Indeed, the highest risk age group are new drivers, perhaps they should give-up or be re-tested as soon as they are tested! rolleyes.gif

This is precisely the point I was trying to make to Strafin. Age has nothing to do with competence to drive (or to do anything else), and to mention it at all shows an ageist attitude whether intended or not. What is relevant at any age is physical capacity, mental capacity (reaction time, decision making) and mental attitude (bravado, sense of invulnerability, sheer bloodymindedness, whatever).

On the attitude point, there is a well-known aviation saying: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. smile.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 8 2009, 06:10 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

We’ve all got to remember that we are going towards the age of 65 whether we like it or not – unless we decide to jump ship! – so we better look at it with a twinkle in our eyes and through kaleidoscope lenses. So think positive here and if we find it necessary to condemn any age group then it would be wise to condemn the under 21; as we will never see that particular light again, so there wellbeing is not our concerns. wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:47 PM