Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rail electrification beyond Newbury
Gazzadp
post Apr 2 2015, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,684

I notice our esteemed MP is in the quoted in the columns of the NWN, commenting on Network Rail confirming (yet again) that they do not intend to extend the electrification of the railway any further west beyond Newbury.

Well my reply to his comments are simple, short and to the point.

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!

After all no doubt, you could claim it back as a tax deductable charitable donation to the community.

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 2 2015, 02:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I can't see what else Richard Benyon could do. To be honest, the electrification branch to Newbury was really an added extra to the mainline delivery. FGN have proposed a couple of through trains for Bedwyn passengers and they say they are trialling co powered trains which might become a reality in a few years. They do seem to be getting it right and not over promising. Yes, there will be some minor inconvenience to a relatively few people down the line. And yes, it is a question of money - so what do you want to cut to pay for it?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 2 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 2 2015, 03:58 PM) *
I can't see what else Richard Benyon could do. To be honest, the electrification branch to Newbury was really an added extra to the mainline delivery. FGN have proposed a couple of through trains for Bedwyn passengers and they say they are trialling co powered trains which might become a reality in a few years. They do seem to be getting it right and not over promising. Yes, there will be some minor inconvenience to a relatively few people down the line. And yes, it is a question of money - so what do you want to cut to pay for it?
The OP seems to want Richard Benyon to fund it himself.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 2 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 2 2015, 04:28 PM) *
The OP seems to want Richard Benyon to fund it himself.

Aah. Having re read it, I can see what you mean! And I thought I was illogical and delusional.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 2 2015, 04:05 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Just a quick aside, I'm with someone who worked for one of the big electrical firms who heard a whisper that there were thoughts of using advanced battery technology coupled with traditional electric pick up for trains. If that's right and if that works, then Bedwyn has a solution!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 2 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 2 2015, 05:05 PM) *
Just a quick aside, I'm with someone who worked for one of the big electrical firms who heard a whisper that there were thoughts of using advanced battery technology coupled with traditional electric pick up for trains. If that's right and if that works, then Bedwyn has a solution!

There you go!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 2 2015, 07:58 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 2 2015, 08:39 PM) *

That's pretty neat. if it comes off, it will save all the cost and disruption of putting up the cables to Bedwyn BUT the passengers will benefit from a through service. Nice to know we can still come up with innovative ideas.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 2 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

It would seem that the future of our transport systems relies a great deal on the development of battery technology.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 18 2016, 08:29 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Here's what we're getting.
What do you think of it so far??

For suburban we are getting 365's and 387's.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 18 2016, 09:02 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 18 2016, 08:29 AM) *
Here's what we're getting.
What do you think of it so far??

For suburban we are getting 365's and 387's.

Bit off-topic, but do you know if trains use regenerative breaking like hybrid cars?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 18 2016, 09:37 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Well, the new ones seem OK, more leg room will be very welcome! Will reserve judgement on what 'airline style seat' actually means; I'm not sure that's an adjective I'd use trying to sell comfort in a new train! As for the others, (I know you won't agree!) but anything is going to be an improvement on what we have now. The interior shots suggest the seats are four aside, which does make for a rather more comfortable journey - particularly on the limited stoppers to and from Paddington. I've been on these in their existing format and have no complaint, I just hope no clever person tries to fit more seats in during the refresh! So, overall, let's hope the schedule is maintained. Yes, it's a shame we've had to go outside UK for the new trains, but that's politics for you, nonetheless, at least GWR have seized the initiative and are actually planning to improve things. That's some compliment from a cynic like me.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 18 2016, 11:08 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jan 18 2016, 11:02 AM) *
Bit off-topic, but do you know if trains use regenerative breaking like hybrid cars?

Modern electric trains, yes.

They feed power back into the overhead (or third rail) when braking.

Diesel, generally no. The braking energy is dissipated as heat at the brakes (as in a normal car).

Let's hope with all this electrification that we do not close TOO many power stations.
(Or provide suitable alternatives?)

I wonder how much the TOC's operating diesel trains are making in reduced costs due to the current lower price of oil?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 18 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Anyone seen this campaign that is on at present?
Be prepared for big changes to the landscape near the railway in the Kennet Valley!!

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Jan 18 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

It would appear that Network Rail is at some point going to continue with the overhead electrification, west wards beyond Newbury at some point in the future.

As last April we adopted our 4th dog from Dogs Trust and I have to say that it seems that Network Rail have already installed the concrete footings and large steel fenced enclosure next to the line beside the Hamstead Marshall level crossing. So it looks as though they will be siting a electrical substation at that location. Well that is what it looks like!

--------------------

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 18 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 18 2016, 11:22 AM) *
Anyone seen this campaign that is on at present?
Be prepared for big changes to the landscape near the railway in the Kennet Valley!!

Umm. Bit late really isn't it. After all, the plans and project have been in delivery mode for quite a time. The project is already late and dare I say, down to red herrings being fished out at every opportunity. Just like the crumbling brick bridge on of our local elected worthies wanted to 'save' because Brunel touched it once. Yes, of course we want to keep good views and historic landmarks, but there are limits. Clever camera work can make things look far worse and with a year or so weathering, no one will even notice.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 18 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Jan 18 2016, 03:07 PM) *
It would appear that Network Rail is at some point going to continue with the overhead electrification, west wards beyond Newbury at some point in the future.

As last April we adopted our 4th dog from Dogs Trust and I have to say that it seems that Network Rail have already installed the concrete footings and large steel fenced enclosure next to the line beside the Hamstead Marshall level crossing. So it looks as though they will be siting a electrical substation at that location. Well that is what it looks like!

Ironic really, I suspect you and the dogs trust are rather grateful then that the railway people didn't choose the third rail electrification method to solve the Goring Gap Gripe!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 19 2016, 09:39 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Jan 18 2016, 05:07 PM) *

No plans at the moment but no doubt it will come.
Electrification to the West Country must be some way off otherwise there would not be the investment in diesel trains to that destination?
I am unsure of the purpose of the large enclosure that has been built adjacent to Hamstead Crossing but I will try and find out as I am curious too.
The main power feeder for the Kennet |Line is being constructed next to Midgham Station.
It's massive! Not sure what the residents there think.

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Jan 22 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Well the news yesterday was interesting, so much so that that it even left First Great Western disappointed.

Electrification to Newbury will not be completed until 2018, mind you I a have to say that I am not at all surprised that the project is not only OVER RUNNING, but is also WAY OVER BUDGET! Buy hey ho!

But more notable is the electrification of the stretch of line between Reading and Basingstoke (which spurs of the line just west of Reading West) has now been scrapped altogether, that is the main rail freight route from the midlands to Southampton Docks, Network rail spent a few £million only a few years ago working on the tunnels to the make the tunnels high enough for the new containers and overhead lines. So joined up thinking once again!

--------------------

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 22 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

The gantries are a bloody eyesore. Someone/some firm has made an awful lot of money from this ****-up

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 22 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

It's pretty sad really. Quite an indictment on our national skills and capabilities. According to this evening's news, it seems that we are short of project managers and engineers. Decidedly odd given the amount we pump into education and that fifth percent plus of our children receive a university education.

I'm beginning to feel quite sympathetic to GWR. Here is a shambles totally outside their control which will have serious implications on their service levels and profitability. The dreadful mess many predicted the privatisation model would deliver has now come to fruition.

If you want more proof of the UK's low skill / low wage economy it has also just been reported that although the number in work had increased, the average wage has dropped.

Oh well, welcome to England, twinned with Moldovia.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:44 AM