IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Hospital poor service this week, From Blood takers department!
Vodabury
post Jan 17 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 17 2012, 07:42 PM) *
And the Secretary of State does not fit any of those categories. Upper ands middle are expressions - have you ever heard of ny one describinbg themselves as a 'lower manager' an oxymorion if ever there was one

Yes, a Secretary of State is in post to implement strategy, and not does deal with day to day "management".

However, if Andy Capp is making the point that the "buck stops" with the Minister regarding management decisions in his/her department, then that is reasonable comment.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 17 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 17 2012, 07:42 PM) *
And the Secretary of State does not fit any of those categories. Upper ands middle are expressions - have you ever heard of ny one describinbg themselves as a 'lower manager' an oxymorion if ever there was one

SoS is upper management by default. I have, however; heard the term middle management/managers, that must mean there are subordinate managers and superior managers (viz, upper, lower, middle).

All that being said, I now understand what you mean anyway.

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 17 2012, 07:45 PM) *
So if you aren't fasting you should loose half a day? Great!

Some bloods have to be taken first thing, otherwise the sample is potentially not reliable enough for testing. For some people, fasting is an ordeal; people who are hypogonadal (or who are having their testosterone levels monitored) or diabetics for instance.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 17 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 17 2012, 08:31 PM) *
No, just go in later.

Not easy if you are paid by the day and commute, Not easy to have bllood tests outside your own health area.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 17 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 17 2012, 09:04 PM) *
Some bloods have to be taken first thing, otherwise the sample is potentially not reliable enough for testing. For some people, fasting is an ordeal; people who are hypogonadal (or who are having their testosterone levels monitored) or diabetics for instance.

Quite, but its all aboutr managing demand. A bit of imaginative thinking coupled with the use oif existing technoloigy and problem could be solved. i.e - no reason why bloods coukld not be tested outside your own health area and results 'secure emailed' tio your GP. I could be done in Leeds at lunchtime if necessary.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 17 2012, 10:25 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 17 2012, 09:35 PM) *
Quite, but its all aboutr managing demand. A bit of imaginative thinking coupled with the use oif existing technoloigy and problem could be solved. i.e - no reason why bloods coukld not be tested outside your own health area and results 'secure emailed' tio your GP. I could be done in Leeds at lunchtime if necessary.

My understanding is that bloods are not tested on site, but are taken to Reading (or there about). I believe some blood has to be tested 'quickly'.

One thing is for sure, the NHS is just too big and is unable to 'think on its feet'. If your circumstances are not 'normal', the NHS can be hard work.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 18 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

As I understand it, the reason Warfarin should be done early is that it needs to catch the first collection so that results can be obtained quickly. Warfarin is notorious for needing a quick change of dosage up or down, often from week to week, and notified from Reading by phone call. Most people would want a fasting blood test done early for different reasons - not to catch the early collection necessarily, but to be able to eat and drink again!

I can sympathise with commuters etc. - perhaps a different method of prioritising would be better - two different queues for example, with two different sets of number cards.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 18 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 17 2012, 10:25 PM) *
One thing is for sure, the NHS is just too big and is unable to 'think on its feet'. If your circumstances are not 'normal', the NHS can be hard work.

Spot on! Arguably its now certainly not a 'National' service implying the whole Kingdom is served in the same way - given that the Scots and Welsh `in particular have radically different rules.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 18 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 18 2012, 02:53 PM) *
As I understand it, the reason Warfarin should be done early is that it needs to catch the first collection so that results can be obtained quickly. Warfarin is notorious for needing a quick change of dosage up or down, often from week to week, and notified from Reading by phone call. Most people would want a fasting blood test done early for different reasons - not to catch the early collection necessarily, but to be able to eat and drink again!

I can sympathise with commuters etc. - perhaps a different method of prioritising would be better - two different queues for example, with two different sets of number cards.

It looks as if there is a self test Warfarin process about to go live which should start to aleviate the issue somewhat.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:13 AM