Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Free Broadband, Good stuff
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 14 2019, 10:11 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Another reason to give up work when comrade Corbyn wins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

The more I hear about these great policies the more I like them. I'm going to make a lifestyle choice after the great leaders victory to leave a huge unpayable debt to the next generation. I dont have any kids so its great. Live for today. Tomorrows fools can pick up the tab.

VOTE LABOUR!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Nov 15 2019, 07:46 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

Superb wheeze by BT. How else are they going to shed their outdated and expensive fixed network. I know, give it to 'the nation' to look after. Free connection to every property for nix these days. So we all get a broadband connection. One minor issue, we'll still need a service provider and who'll be well placed to do that - step forward BT and their colleague providers.

So, dear TDH, you are on the right lines, make gay whilst the sun shines. With you skills, you should be able to pick up a nice little sinecure at a 'Government Agency' which Labour is so fond of. Senior manager - performance not measured, just huge salary and bennies. You'll be in clover.

Vote Labour - why pay less? You know it makes sense.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Nov 15 2019, 10:58 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 14 2019, 10:11 PM) *
Another reason to give up work when comrade Corbyn wins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

The more I hear about these great policies the more I like them. I'm going to make a lifestyle choice after the great leaders victory to leave a huge unpayable debt to the next generation. I dont have any kids so its great. Live for today. Tomorrows fools can pick up the tab.

VOTE LABOUR!

I generally don't give a **** what any of the politicians say, but that one is pure "oh, vote for us, we're lovelies!". It's about as ridiculous as free chocolate for everyone for life.
"Mr McDonnell said that if other broadband providers did not want to give access to British Broadband, then they would also be taken into public ownership." What a marvellous way to bring tech development to a standstill. Who in their right mind is going to continue to develop a business, knowing it could just be taken away on a whim?
Broadband is not essential to life, it's a luxury. Like all luxuries, you can choose to have it if you can afford it. Gas, electric, and water; they're essentials. Without those there is the potential for death, without broadband, not really.
I very much doubt that anyone struggling to heat and/or light their home would say "I can't afford gas and electric, but I have free broadband so we're all good".

I'm left wondering if, instead of writing an election manifesto, they just watched Idiocracy and thought "yeah, we'll go with that'.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 15 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Nov 15 2019, 10:58 AM) *
I generally don't give a **** what any of the politicians say, but that one is pure "oh, vote for us, we're lovelies!". It's about as ridiculous as free chocolate for everyone for life.
"Mr McDonnell said that if other broadband providers did not want to give access to British Broadband, then they would also be taken into public ownership." What a marvellous way to bring tech development to a standstill. Who in their right mind is going to continue to develop a business, knowing it could just be taken away on a whim?
Broadband is not essential to life, it's a luxury. Like all luxuries, you can choose to have it if you can afford it. Gas, electric, and water; they're essentials. Without those there is the potential for death, without broadband, not really.
I very much doubt that anyone struggling to heat and/or light their home would say "I can't afford gas and electric, but I have free broadband so we're all good".

I'm left wondering if, instead of writing an election manifesto, they just watched Idiocracy and thought "yeah, we'll go with that'.

Free chocolate you say? That would be against the great leaders views. Now free electic cars...that's more like it. And it ticks boxes. 😂😂👍

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Nov 15 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

Maybe he could scrap University fees. Wait...........

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 15 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Bear in mind the worst part of our rail system is the public bit? And who wants a network connection owned by the government?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 15 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Nov 15 2019, 10:58 AM) *

It’s not quite water, but it is becoming increasingly hard to live without Internet access.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 15 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

DP

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 15 2019, 10:09 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 15 2019, 09:31 PM) *
It’s not quite water, but it is becoming increasingly hard to live without Internet access.

Yep but water IS essential to live. Broadband isn't. In my view the following should be considered for nationalisation

1. Water
2. Rail

Both should only be done so if the Unions agree not to strike.

Nowt else.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 16 2019, 06:22 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 15 2019, 11:09 PM) *
Yep but water IS essential to live. Broadband isn't. In my view the following should be considered for nationalisation

1. Water
2. Rail

Nowt else.

The rail infrastructure IS government owned as are some of the TOC's.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 16 2019, 06:38 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 15 2019, 10:09 PM) *

1. Water
2. Rail

Nowt else.

Shelter, energy and food are also essential.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Nov 16 2019, 09:03 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

Only food and shelter are important, everything else being superficial. Yet we see mother's putting their mobile phone ownership before their children's well being, motorists risking life in order to get to their destination on time, and the list goes on. If Corbyn wishes to bankrupt the country for a few short years of comfort so be it after all when it all goes bosoms up it will be pointless asking the public to bale the exchequer out as blood and stones come to mind.
I agree that some of the old nationalised utilities need a bloody good shake up; but letting a civil servant run them?

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Nov 16 2019, 09:43 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 16 2019, 06:22 AM) *
The rail infrastructure IS government owned as are some of the TOC's.

And precisely how well is that working for you?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 17 2019, 08:46 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Nov 16 2019, 10:43 AM) *
And precisely how well is that working for you?

Precisely!!

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Nov 18 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Labour think we've forgotten just how bad BT were as a nationalised industry. They also haven't grasped that the fixed line copper network is now obsolete. So thinking they can do better with a heap of scrap from a firm who couldn't hack it in either public or private sector is a real vote winner; not.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Nov 18 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

So

CONSERVATIVE - Will Plant 300m trees.

LIB DEMS - Not wanting to be outdone will plant 600m Trees

LABOUR - Will plant some Money trees to help people pay for all their other policies.

GREEN PARTY - They love trees

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Nov 18 2019, 04:45 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I'm going with whoever gives the most Nectar points.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 18 2019, 05:33 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Nov 18 2019, 04:45 PM) *
I'm going with whoever gives the most Nectar points.

I'm going with whoever puts the least crrap through my door... thinking of the environment see? No point in planting 600 million trees if you are going to turn them all into election guff.

Current score

Libs 3
Greens 1
Labour 1
Conservatives 0

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 19 2019, 09:13 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Nov 18 2019, 02:57 PM) *
Labour think we've forgotten just how bad BT were as a nationalised industry.

Or BR?

PS They weren't BT then they were Post Office Telecommunications or something!

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Nov 19 2019, 01:09 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 19 2019, 09:13 AM) *
Or BR?

PS They weren't BT then they were Post Office Telecommunications or something!

You're not wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Telecommunications

A bit before my time though.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:34 PM