> Can anyone recommend a Chemist?, As the one at Falkland surgery is useless
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 2 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Can anyone recommend a chemist?
Where you can go and pick up a prescription without either waiting an hour, them losing your tablets or giving you the wrong tablets?

The one at Falkland surgery should be closed.
It is poor if not bordering on dangerous.

Has anyone else had the misfortune of using this **** hole?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 2 2017, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

I think chemist's are just another element of a rapidly disintegrating NHS. I agree with your take on the Wash Common outlet but bearing in mind the number of patients the Falkland practice has on it's books it is a wonder it operates at all . If you think this one is bad you should try Boots In Hungerford .
Anyway to address your problem I use Sainsbury's , they are usually reasonably efficient with repeat prescriptions and one has the advantage of being able to shop in store if they have to put a new script up which normally takes about 10 minutes .
Some would say there is a conspiracy theory afoot to stop people using the service . angry.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 2 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Tesco’s?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 2 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 2 2017, 02:33 PM) *
Tesco’s?

Thanks both. I will look at both as an alternate.
I honestly think someone will pass on as a direct result of the ineptitude at the Falkland chemist. Its shocking.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 2 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Might be too far but I use Lloyd's at station rd in thatcham. Not perfect but at least competent. Still not to worry, when comrade Jeremy gets in it'll all be free, 24 hrs a day. In fact, they'll probably pay you to go there.

Hope you get it sorted.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 2 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 2 2017, 04:55 PM) *
Might be too far but I use Lloyd's at station rd in thatcham. Not perfect but at least competent. Still not to worry, when comrade Jeremy gets in it'll all be free, 24 hrs a day. In fact, they'll probably pay you to go there.

Hope you get it sorted.

Anyone use the Lloyds Chemist in Newbury? Would be handy as I could pop in after getting off the train. Any more reviews more than welcome.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 2 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 2 2017, 07:10 PM) *
Anyone use the Lloyds Chemist in Newbury? Would be handy as I could pop in after getting off the train. Any more reviews more than welcome.

Sorry, no. Give it a try though, you never know.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
DereckT
post Dec 2 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,536

Having used all of the local pharmacies for my job over the last 20 years, my suggestions are
AVOID - Boots in the Thatcham surgery, Boots on Northbrook street and Falkland.
MEDIOCRE - Llyods oppsite Thatcham surgery, and in the shopping Centre. Also Sainburys
RECOMMENDED - Chapel row pharmacy (though they may only deal with their patients) and Superdrug in Northbrook Street.
GOLD STANDARD - Llyods near Thatcham station.
HOWEVER......As someone has already said, all of these pharmacies are working under immense pressure, and due to costs, they often employ temporary labour (locums), who are not lways the best (to put it mildly). It is best to thoroughly check your prescription BEFORE you sign for it. On average I found 50% of prescriptions had some sort of mistake that a pharmacist should have spotted.
The service (as with most of the NHS) is criminally underfunded - for that, see your local MP

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 2 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DereckT @ Dec 2 2017, 08:27 PM) *
Having used all of the local pharmacies for my job over the last 20 years, my suggestions are
AVOID - Boots in the Thatcham surgery, Boots on Northbrook street and Falkland.
MEDIOCRE - Llyods oppsite Thatcham surgery, and in the shopping Centre. Also Sainburys
RECOMMENDED - Chapel row pharmacy (though they may only deal with their patients) and Superdrug in Northbrook Street.
GOLD STANDARD - Llyods near Thatcham station.
HOWEVER......As someone has already said, all of these pharmacies are working under immense pressure, and due to costs, they often employ temporary labour (locums), who are not lways the best (to put it mildly). It is best to thoroughly check your prescription BEFORE you sign for it. On average I found 50% of prescriptions had some sort of mistake that a pharmacist should have spotted.
The service (as with most of the NHS) is criminally underfunded - for that, see your local MP

Why not get rid of them all? Properly centralise with ONE purchasing team who could get big discounts for mass orders and a delivery system using a proper ERP system? It can't be that difficult. 98% of prescriptions dont change. Mine hasn't for 20 years!!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 2 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I now use Superdrug, who so far have always had it ready when I go to collect, and the queue if any is minimal. Unlike Sainsbury's who I'd used for years, until its service deteriorated to match main store - Waitrose prices and One Stop service. There is, according to recent TV advertising an apparently centralised home delivery service which looks worth investigating.

The issue with pharmacists is the same as if is for most other retail outlets these days, poor management and no grasp of customer service. Shop work simply isn't valued these days.

As for the NHS, it's more careful political direction. There are a couple of think tanks that are quite plainly saying it won't exist as such in a decade or so. Hence the non stop shock horror stories gracing the press almost daily. Be glad, it's the last nationalised industry.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 3 2017, 09:02 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 2 2017, 08:10 PM) *

This one is OK as I have used it in the past.
As long as you don't mind waiting for your PAID FOR prescription while the local addicts get their FREE (at point of delivery) methadone.
They have priority according to the pharmacist when asked why!.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 3 2017, 09:51 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

It would appear that none meet the standard expected which is worrying to say the least . How much is down to underfunding or over use is open to debate but we are all in agreement that whenever one visits the chemist the queue rivals the Camp Hopson sales of old .
But ! And it's a big but , how many patients who run to their GP with the first signs of a cold ,or upset stomach ,or sprained ankle actually need to ? I regularly need to take my wife to see her GP ,and sit in the waiting room observing the coughing and sneezing of the many whereas the few who actually need treatment have to take their turn . I recall sitting in RBH A&E and a young man and GF walked in and informed the nurse that he had fallen over and hurt his knee . Ye gods and tiny fishes .

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 3 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

High expectations don't suddenly appear, they are acquired behaviours. Our schools have been teaching kids that they 'deserve respect' for a couple of generations at least, that alongside the trends for indulgent parenting and a society valuing 'me' over 'we'. What else would you expect?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 3 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 3 2017, 02:45 PM) *
High expectations don't suddenly appear, they are acquired behaviours. Our schools have been teaching kids that they 'deserve respect' for a couple of generations at least, that alongside the trends for indulgent parenting and a society valuing 'me' over 'we'. What else would you expect?

Now I know how Canute felt . I have just listened to a public service radio announcement extolling the virtues of not overusing antibiotics. Now call me reactionary but if a doctor prescribes such a drug then it would be questionable wisdom to refuse such advice as I am not going to be able to acquire such medicine over the counter anyway . More financial waste . angry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 10 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

So you see the quack to get a repeat prescription and he does not send it across to the pharmacy. You see the pharmacist and explain you need yoir tablets as you have none. You then get told to phone 111 and are not even offered an emergency script. Good job! Hospital here I come.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 10 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Order mine online, repeats ran out, went in to get blood pressure checked and a general medical and they Ballard up the repeats. Phoned to explain the problem and, NADA. Now I have to make another appointment to see the doctor to get the same things checked I had checked last week. NHS's biggest problem is the NHS.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 10 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 10 2017, 11:40 AM) *
Order mine online, repeats ran out, went in to get blood pressure checked and a general medical and they Ballard up the repeats. Phoned to explain the problem and, NADA. Now I have to make another appointment to see the doctor to get the same things checked I had checked last week. NHS's biggest problem is the NHS.

The problem is that we do not have need of questioning the NHS's efficiency until we actually need their help . We have been bombarded by the media as to it's failings for years only to have those in charge giving reassuring mutterings on how "well" they are managing the system which has lulled us into a state of ambivalent apathy . It is , after all , our health service in as much as its our taxes that pay for it and that should mean they are accountable .
This of course is scant consolation to those who need treatment / medication NOW .

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 10 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Odd isn't it? Our railway system is a complete shambles, local government close to collapse, schools that are dysfunctional, retailers unable to sell enough to keep even a village shop open, etc, etc, etc, yet we expect perfection from the NHS!

If you think about it, most of the woes we rail against are simply down to poor and ineffective management, ironically the only sector in today's society, who are well, indeed over rewarded.

And we think we can survive on our own with this? Our biggest national threat has to be British management!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 10 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 10 2017, 02:16 PM) *
Odd isn't it? Our railway system is a complete shambles, local government close to collapse, schools that are dysfunctional, retailers unable to sell enough to keep even a village shop open, etc, etc, etc, yet we expect perfection from the NHS!

If you think about it, most of the woes we rail against are simply down to poor and ineffective management, ironically the only sector in today's society, who are well, indeed over rewarded.

And we think we can survive on our own with this? Our biggest national threat has to be British management!

Sorry I do not follow the logic ? I agree that our managerial skills leave a little to be desired but once we are weaned from the cosy little club that is the EU we will have to sharpen up or go under . Shops are not closing through poor running more because of the red tape, rates and assorted hurdles that retailers need to negotiate before the first customer even ventures through the door . The NHS will willing pay an employee £100,000 / annum to instigate savings of half that figure . If we want an efficiently run Country firstly we need to employ Ministers who know what they are doing as opposed to career politicians as is the present policy . Once that is in place the leadership directive will filter down .
This may also result in the demise of the "fat cat" element .

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 10 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Dec 10 2017, 02:53 PM) *
Sorry I do not follow the logic ? I agree that our managerial skills leave a little to be desired but once we are weaned from the cosy little club that is the EU we will have to sharpen up or go under . Shops are not closing through poor running more because of the red tape, rates and assorted hurdles that retailers need to negotiate before the first customer even ventures through the door . The NHS will willing pay an employee £100,000 / annum to instigate savings of half that figure . If we want an efficiently run Country firstly we need to employ Ministers who know what they are doing as opposed to career politicians as is the present policy . Once that is in place the leadership directive will filter down .
This may also result in the demise of the "fat cat" element .

And that's just the issue; we still pay totally unjustified rewards (I won't say wages) to these allegedly 'top people'. Retail is in fact a classic example 'Sir' Philip Green for instance? Greed closed his shops. The classic response to this is that we have to pay such rates or they'd clear off to the States. I suggest we now wish that rather too many of them had done just that. Fred Goodwin and his ilk. They've turned operational management into tick box lists and not very bright tick boxes at that. We no longer even have the safety net of a trained and experienced middle management. The NVQ supervisors now reign supreme. If our best chance is to appoint Ministers who know what they are doing, so it will trickle down, we really are in trouble, that's not even on the horizon.

Frankly, I think it's a deliberate policy, our chances of survival for the mass population rely on our continuing to be a semi skilled low wage economy; with public services to match. An NHS reverting to the pre war, totally insurance based panel doctor type arrangement. With our our present management can you really see us as being able to sell trains to Japan?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:16 PM