Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Boost for the BID
Grumpy
post Apr 11 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,689

I see that West Berkshire Council have just pumped another £12,500.00 into the Bid project to prevent it running out of cash.

Was this authorised by councillors, or was this a decision taken by one of the council officers?

I wonder which council service will lose this 12.5K?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John C
post Apr 11 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,022

QUOTE (Grumpy @ Apr 11 2012, 12:48 PM) *
I see that West Berkshire Council have just pumped another £12,500.00 into the Bid project to prevent it running out of cash.

Was this authorised by councillors, or was this a decision taken by one of the council officers?

As BID is for businesses only why is the WBC using that much extra council tax to fund something for another month when I don't even get a say on it ie

http://www.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=24889

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 11 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Where is the source/reference, please?

+Quote Post
Grumpy
post Apr 12 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Apr 11 2012, 08:43 PM) *
Where is the source/reference, please?

My source is within West Berks, where apparently pet projects are funded by council officers without any reference to councillors.

This payment could be confirmed by an FOI request by any NWN reporter, but I fear that there may be some reluctance because of a conflict of interest between editorial and advertising departments. NWN have benefited substantially from advertising revenue for the BID. Advertising appears to have been targetted at the whole community rather than the business sector.

There was an initial payment of £7,000.00 in February, and now a further payment of £5,500.00 has been authorised, because the BID has overspent on it's original budget.

NTC have also contributed a further £2,000.00 but this was authorised properly by councillors.

NTC are very keen for the bid to succeed because they will get £30,000.00 towards their Christmas Lights.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 12 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Grumpy @ Apr 12 2012, 07:32 AM) *
NTC are very keen for the bid to succeed because they will get £30,000.00 towards their Christmas Lights.

see what I mean.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Apr 12 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Well it looks like the elderly. They have saved £92,000 on 'meals on wheels', increased laundry by £3.10 a week, taken travel tokens away and are voting today to reduce care services by a further £700,000.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 12 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Apr 12 2012, 05:51 PM) *
Well it looks like the elderly. They have saved £92,000 on 'meals on wheels', increased laundry by £3.10 a week, taken travel tokens away and are voting today to reduce care services by a further £700,000.

Have you ever known taxpayers not having to stump up cash for Newbury businesses?
The town is only in existence for business and to give employment to our beloved councils.
Look at Standard life we gave them half of Newbury and what did the council say to every critic "They gaveus a new shopping centre you know". Even though it is more than half empty and probably will stay that way. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 12 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 12 2012, 06:14 PM) *
Have you ever known taxpayers not having to stump up cash for Newbury businesses?
The town is only in existence for business and to give employment to our beloved councils.
Look at Standard life we gave them half of Newbury and what did the council say to every critic "They gaveus a new shopping centre you know". Even though it is more than half empty and probably will stay that way. rolleyes.gif

Currently town businesses cough up £1000 pa for the Xmas lights. Should the BID go ahead then those same businesses will be paying far more towards those lights. Seems like a saving for the tax payer there.

Funny, I was in PW today & I'd say it is 75% full.

But then, never let the truth obscure your **** tinted glasses eh?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 12 2012, 05:53 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 12 2012, 06:22 PM) *
Currently town businesses cough up £1000 pa for the Xmas lights. Should the BID go ahead then those same businesses will be paying far more towards those lights. Seems like a saving for the tax payer there.

Funny, I was in PW today & I'd say it is 75% full.

But then, never let the truth obscure your **** tinted glasses eh?

Maths a problem at school was it?

Don't forget to deduct the £12500 from the lights bill! Also don't be surprised if this is the last donation either.
Who benefits from the Christmas lights I thought it was for the town businesses to attract more punters to spend more in their shops?
Of course I may not be quite thinking on the same lines as your highly knowledgeable self though? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 12 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 12 2012, 06:53 PM) *
Maths a problem at school was it?

Don't forget to deduct the £12500 from the lights bill! Also don't be surprised if this is the last donation either.
Who benefits from the Christmas lights I thought it was for the town businesses to attract more punters to spend more in their shops?
Of course I may not be quite thinking on the same lines as your highly knowledgeable self though? rolleyes.gif

Did maths to degree level if you must know.

You **** right the lights are for the businesses which is why the BID is a win win - Businesses pay a larger % for their own lights thus reducing the burden on the taxpayer.

+Quote Post
Grumpy
post Apr 12 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (John C @ Apr 11 2012, 08:06 PM) *
As BID is for businesses only why is the WBC using that much extra council tax to fund something for another month when I don't even get a say on it ie

http://www.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=24889

Thanks for the map it is very interesting.

That little blip in West Street. Is that to give an extra vote to Camp Hopson?

Two council controlled properties - Speenhamland School and the Library could easily have been excluded to save taxpayers the extra levy, but then that would have deprived West Berks of 2 more votes. Why should a school be forced to pay a levy for the business community?

What will NTC do with the £30,000.00 that they will be saving? Reduce the precept perhaps?

+Quote Post
Grumpy
post Apr 12 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Grumpy @ Apr 12 2012, 07:32 AM) *
This payment could be confirmed by an FOI request by any NWN reporter, but I fear that there may be some reluctance because of a conflict of interest between editorial and advertising departments. NWN have benefited substantially from advertising revenue for the BID. Advertising appears to have been targetted at the whole community rather than the business sector.

Another full page ad in NWN today. That takes care of 2k from the new funding.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 12 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 12 2012, 07:11 PM) *
Did maths to degree level if you must know.

You **** right the lights are for the businesses which is why the BID is a win win - Businesses pay a larger % for their own lights thus reducing the burden on the taxpayer.

My point exactly why should taxpayers pay for the lights at all if it is to attract punters into businesses?
Keep this expenditure up and add it to each taxpayers weekly shopping bill and see what reaction you get then? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Grumpy
post Jun 7 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Funded with a £13,000.00 donation from last years underspend caused by "brutal cuts" in the adult social care budget.

WBC getting it's priorities muddled again.

(NWN Page 7 "Council's underspend will plug this year's gaps")

Don't Standard Life owe us £300,000.00 p.a. from the carparks that they bought for £1?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:04 PM