IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Country living; what happens to dead animals?, Nothing; and certainly not in our back yard!
On the edge
post Jul 30 2014, 07:39 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/knacker...-great-shefford

So, we have a legitimate and agricultural centric business operation wanting to move into an unused industrial site, arguably bringing jobs and cash to the local economy!

Ooooh no scream the usual chorus of voices who think country living is just about chocolate box cottages, country walks and pubs. So whilst they are playing Beatrix Potter, the rest if us are expected to subsidise it with town standard services. Yet even that's not enough, now they don't even want the nasty bits of real country living!

No wonder our planning arrangements are such a mess when real credence is given to such objections. Almost as bad as the objections to Sandleford being based on the loss of fictional rabbit holes.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 30 2014, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Another charity with concerns for the knackers yard is Homing Ex-racehorses Organisation Scheme (HEROS) based in Wantage.

Chief Executive, Grace Muir, said: “I do not think it is a great idea to have it near to a racing area.”

It's all very well homing ex-racehorses, but what on earth do they think happens to the horses when they die? Surely a racing area is a sensible place to have the facilities to deal with dead horses!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 30 2014, 12:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Amusing that the racing fraternity are upset. Many animal welfare people would like to see racing closed down before a knacker's yard.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jul 30 2014, 01:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Chief Executive, Grace Muir, said: “I do not think it is a great idea to have it near to a racing area.”

So, ex-racehorses still in fact, race?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 30 2014, 02:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I also think NAWT - a worthy charity based in Great Shefford - are over-reacting a bit.

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jul 30 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jul 30 2014, 02:49 PM) *

So, ex-racehorses still in fact, race?

I think that Grace Muir was referring to possibly the other racing stables close by her stables.

And yes some retired or ill treated race horses do still race although not in the form as you may be thinking.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jul 30 2014, 04:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

What are the people of Great Shefford so het up about. There has been a place in Turnpike Newbury for donkey's years. (No pun intended). It has co-existed with the local community and doesn't seem to generate any problems for the locality. I have seen the animal ambulances around bringing the odd carcass but I doubt that racehorses, their trainers and riders have any problems with it being close to the racecourse. I doubt the horses have been spooked with the knowledge any more than I am spooked by the fact we have a crematorium for disposing of our dead bodies at Thatcham. There are strict rules about transporting diseased animals so no chance that anything will seep into the water courses and of course we do eat dead animals.
What a nonsense also for animal charities, as Ms Pearce added: “I do not think having a knackers yard near us will be a good idea as people bring their animals to us for retirement will not be happy" I guess that her retirement flock of cast off animals live on forever.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 30 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

I'm not sure if this is the same place, but I used to travel the 338 through Shefford through the 60s. There used to be a place up by the Woolley turn that gave off the most awful stench. I was led to believe it was used to boil down animal carcasses......

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 30 2014, 06:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jul 30 2014, 05:45 PM) *
What are the people of Great Shefford so het up about. There has been a place in Turnpike Newbury for donkey's years. (No pun intended). It has co-existed with the local community and doesn't seem to generate any problems for the locality.

This is Passey's current location, they are the ones hoping to move to Shefford - presumably with the idea of developing the Turnpike site?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jul 30 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 30 2014, 07:34 PM) *
This is Passey's current location, they are the ones hoping to move to Shefford - presumably with the idea of developing the Turnpike site?

Yes, now that Gordon has gone, I guess that will happen. The majority of his scrapyard was turned over to industrial development long ago. We can only wait and see.

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jul 30 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jul 30 2014, 07:42 PM) *
Yes, now that Gordon has gone, I guess that will happen. The majority of his scrapyard was turned over to industrial development long ago. We can only wait and see.

With Cox moving in the not to distant future im sure the site is going to be redeveloped.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:06 AM