pinkfluffyclouds
post Jun 15 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 881

QUOTE (Ben01635 @ Jun 15 2010, 12:59 PM) *
Hi All,

Been following this debate for a while now and thought I'd chip in my two cents! - Although I agree that drivers are probably not paying the attention they should, I don't think the signage is quite right. The way I see it, and particualry at the Kennet Centre end of town, there are no signs for No Motorised Vehicle Access, or at least not directly before the bolllards (the one with the motrobike over the car). I think the problem is that the plentiful warning signs, and I agree there are many of them, aren't proper road signs and I think this is why they are overlooked by motorists that are not familiar with the area. The old no vehicle access sign should be recognised by all motorists and is a clear indication to stop and think, rather than just the red background rectangular signs which a motorist may overlook. - The 'correct' signage is at the McDonalds end of town, directly before the bollards, so why not at the Kennet Centre end with similar positioning?

So if the 'correct' signage is at the McDonalds end of town then how come as many people have come to blows up there too?? dry.gif The sign with the motorbike over the car really would not help as I am sure a lot of people on the road don't even know this sign (and yes I am one of them I had to recently look it up in the highway code whilst helping my son with his thory !!! ohmy.gif I much prefer the BIG RED SIGN that says WARNING Rising Bollards Authorised Vehicles Only 10 am to 6 pm - so much clearer than a motorcycle doing stunts over a car wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jun 15 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Oh..............

I just looked on Street View - and the "correct signage" is already in place one on either side of the road !!!! laugh.gif

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...12,19.58,,1,8.7

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 15 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

The way I see it, and particualry at the Kennet Centre end of town, there are no signs for No Motorised Vehicle Access, or at least not directly before the bolllards (the one with the motrobike over the car).

There most certainly are 'No Vehicluar Access' signs. 2 of them.

+Quote Post
Ben01635
post Jun 15 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 270

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jun 15 2010, 02:05 PM) *
Oh..............

I just looked on Street View - and the "correct signage" is already in place one on either side of the road !!!! laugh.gif

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...12,19.58,,1,8.7

I made a point of putting correct into quotes as I don't actually know what the correct signage would be. I know the signs do exist as you point out in your link, but these are right on top of the trafic lights on an already busy and completcated junction (people unfamilar with the area are probably trying to decide if they need the left or right lane for the car park, while checking the trafic lights, and looking out for pedestrians crossing the road. I feel the signs should be relocated directly before the bollards where the opening to Kennet Centre car park is.

But as pointed out previously.....the signs are adequately placed at the other end of town and people still hit the bollards!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 15 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jun 15 2010, 01:49 PM) *
So if the 'correct' signage is at the McDonalds end of town then how come as many people have come to blows up there too?? dry.gif

I don't think they have. Bart St seems to get more than its fair share.

For me, the most natural sign is 'NO ENTRY' with a 'Right Turn Only' sign below it, but I understand that this is not permissible.

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jun 15 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 15 2010, 02:26 PM) *
I don't think they have. Bart St seems to get more than its fair share.

For me, the most natural sign is 'NO ENTRY' with a 'Right Turn Only' sign below it, but I understand that this is not permissible.

Sorry Iommi you are wrong. I witnessed a car being poleaxed outside McDonalds and have heard of at least another 3 there. Also about two at the Museum ones and about 5 at the Bart Street end. tongue.gif I do actually have sympathy for visitors as it is obviously confusing in a strange town. Personally I would prefer an arm like barrier which would at most cause a scratch on the roof of the car if it came down rather than ripping the engine out

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 15 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Ben01635 @ Jun 15 2010, 12:59 PM) *
I don't think the signage is quite right. The way I see it, and particualry at the Kennet Centre end of town, there are no signs for No Motorised Vehicle Access, or at least not directly before the bolllards (the one with the motrobike over the car).
yeah, I know the sort you mean.... Do they look like this?

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jun 15 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 15 2010, 10:26 PM) *
yeah, I know the sort you mean.... Do they look like this?

Hey Spartacus you are clever I tried to do that earlier and all I could manage to do was get a link to that page.. Tried all sorts but anyway think you have managed to do what I was trying to. The signs are past the traffic lights but obviously before the bollards otherwise they would be pointless... I drive past them every day and have done so for however long they have been there and I have never noticed them only the BIG RED SIGN !! My point.. Road traffic signs are not always seen. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 15 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jun 15 2010, 10:09 PM) *
Sorry Iommi you are wrong. ...

I didn't say the other places didn't get them, only that the Bart St gets the lions share. Something you seem to acknowledge.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 15 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jun 15 2010, 01:49 PM) *
So if the 'correct' signage is at the McDonalds end of town then how come as many people have come to blows up there too??
The Northbrook St bollards have a very low score rate compared to the other two 'car killing entry points'. Very few people caught out on these. Why try to tailgate a bus going through and damage your car when all you have to do is drive round on the wrong side of the central bollard and nip through into the Pedestrian Zone.

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 15 2010, 02:26 PM) *
Traffic legislation is a bugger..... Stray from the 'permitted variants' without DfT approval and your sign becomes illegal and the length of road you're trying to enforce a restriction on becomes un-enforceable....

But I reckon the 'NO ENTRY' sign (Red with white bar) COULD be used here.

Only buses are allowed through this link on Bartholomew St. The ONLY signs you are allowed to use with the NO ENTRY sign are the top two here:
The 'NO ENTRY' CANNOT be used at the Wharf St entry as that's for taxis (not a permitted variant)

This NO ENTRY can't be used at the Northbrook Street entrance as it isn't electronic like Bartholomew St (the NO ENTRY needs to disappear when the pedestrian zone is open as you're not allowed a sign saying NO ENTRY 10am - 6pm)

Why not change the flying motor bike sign on Bartholomew Street and replace it with the NO ENTRY? It's an electronic sign that isn't displayed when the pedestrian area is open so it would work and would probably get the message across better to all those dim drivers..
After all, it's the Bartholomew Street bollards that are now taking the main abuse.......

By Jove..... I think WE've only gone and got it....!! Wonder if WBC will make the change before others get hit?

(editted to keep Iommi sweet... wink.gif )

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 15 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #71

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jun 15 2010, 10:44 PM) *
I drive past them every day and have done so for however long they have been there and I have never noticed them only the BIG RED SIGN !! My point.. Road traffic signs are not always seen. rolleyes.gif
The signs are very basic electronic signs.

The panels rotate out if view when the pedestrian zone is open for traffic and the bollards are lowered after 6pm. So if you're a responsible driver who drives through town after 6pm (rather than the tailgating dimwits with limited vision) that probably explains why you didn't see them...... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 15 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #72

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 15 2010, 10:52 PM) *
...By Jove..... I think I've only gone and got it....!! Wonder if WBC will make the change before others get hit?

I'd like to think it was team work! wink.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 15 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #73

Advanced Member

post editted in appreciation of our collective brainstorming efforts........ wink.gif

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jun 16 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #74

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 15 2010, 10:58 PM) *
The signs are very basic electronic signs.

The panels rotate out if view when the pedestrian zone is open for traffic and the bollards are lowered after 6pm. So if you're a responsible driver who drives through town after 6pm (rather than the tailgating dimwits with limited vision) that probably explains why you didn't see them...... wink.gif

PHEW really thought I was being stupid by not seeing the signs laugh.gif . I did not drive down there this morning so could not check but will look tomorrow. Great idea about the no entry being on the rotating sign rather than the stunt bike BUT WBC won't do anything about it I am sure but even if there is no entry possibly people will still try and get through by tagging on to the back of the bus. unsure.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:25 AM