Reply to this topicStart new topic
> painting of the skate park, its ok to paint council property
worried
post Aug 13 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,676

I am baffled by Newbury Cllr Allens assertion as it appears on the NT website that whoever painted the council skate ramp is not in trouble ? Does this suggest that anyone can go about painting anything they like as long as it is blue ? Perhaps he was not quoted in full context ? I don't know, but I am sure that this sends out a wrong message to young people or is it just me ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 13 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (worried @ Aug 13 2012, 10:32 AM) *
I don't know, but I am sure that this sends out a wrong message to young people or is it just me ?

The wrong messages have been sent out to young people for many years now.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Aug 13 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 13 2012, 09:51 AM) *
The wrong messages have been sent out to young people for many years now.

(puts spray paints back in bag) the young - yea - it's always them tongue.gif

Seriously though, it's a difficult point for them - caught between two clear and sensible opinions: what's the point in being all angry when someone has done a good job of it; and get your hands off our stuff we are trying to maintain standards here.

Why don't they just look to encourage community support and participation in these things (i.e. reach outside of their existing little clubs and groups to find real people).

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Aug 13 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Pleasently surprised and even shocked that a councillor is showing some common sense.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Aug 14 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Aug 13 2012, 05:52 PM) *
Pleasently surprised and even shocked that a councillor is showing some common sense.

Tricky one, if they don't put a stop to it then there will be no limit as to what people can paint and no quality control. Do we know if the ramp was painted using the correct paint for the purpose etc ? What if somone decides to paint the statues blue ? They can't say anything if they let some people paint the skate ramp blue, it needs to be formalised.

+Quote Post
worried
post Aug 14 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,676

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Aug 14 2012, 08:56 AM) *
Tricky one, if they don't put a stop to it then there will be no limit as to what people can paint and no quality control. Do we know if the ramp was painted using the correct paint for the purpose etc ? What if somone decides to paint the statues blue ? They can't say anything if they let some people paint the skate ramp blue, it needs to be formalised.

Indeed, so if I decide to go and paint all of the towns bus shelters a nice shade of green or all of the town benches dark blue that's ok, no need to ask permission, just do it and let them know afterwards who it was, because I am not in trouble. Its an absurd notion and under no circumstances shoukd councils or any authority countenance this type of behaviour. Ofcourse we should welcome the active participation of people and no doubt a working party to meet, agree and carry out the work would be fine.

My point is it's just plain mamby pamby to say it's fine they are not in trouble...... Just going around painting other peoples property is no better than grafitti, it's criminal damage as far as most people are concerned, commoin sense on the part of cllr Allen ? no, a very wrong message about local democracy. Perhaps there could be an example where we might be happy for someone to take a brush into their own hands, I suppose if there was obscene language painted there and the council had done nothig to remove it and out of frustration a member of the public had decided to cover it up, then I would perhaps support that. I am not sure if this was the case here.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 14 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.....

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 14 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 14 2012, 12:43 PM) *
Damned if they do, damned if they don't.....

Unless one gets caught that it is. At the end of the day it is an eyesore with or without the paint.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 14 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 14 2012, 01:54 PM) *
Unless one gets caught that it is. At the end of the day it is an eyesore with or without the paint.

The kids love sliding down it.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Aug 14 2012, 06:13 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

Banksy seems to get away with painting stuff, now half of Bristol is painted by some hoodilum or other - could we be on the verge of a Newbury Banksy?

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Aug 14 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Wot we need is more giraffes.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Aug 14 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (worried @ Aug 14 2012, 10:34 AM) *
Indeed, so if I decide to go and paint all of the towns bus shelters a nice shade of green or all of the town benches dark blue that's ok, no need to ask permission, just do it and let them know afterwards who it was, because I am not in trouble. Its an absurd notion and under no circumstances shoukd councils or any authority countenance this type of behaviour. Ofcourse we should welcome the active participation of people and no doubt a working party to meet, agree and carry out the work would be fine.

My point is it's just plain mamby pamby to say it's fine they are not in trouble...... Just going around painting other peoples property is no better than grafitti, it's criminal damage as far as most people are concerned, commoin sense on the part of cllr Allen ? no, a very wrong message about local democracy. Perhaps there could be an example where we might be happy for someone to take a brush into their own hands, I suppose if there was obscene language painted there and the council had done nothig to remove it and out of frustration a member of the public had decided to cover it up, then I would perhaps support that. I am not sure if this was the case here.

I said the Councillor used some common sense. There was no harm done and apparently a lot of good. The same when people sow wild flower seeds on verges or remove mares tail from overgrown land.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 14 2012, 09:11 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Aug 14 2012, 08:49 PM) *
I said the Councillor used some common sense. There was no harm done and apparently a lot of good. The same when people sow wild flower seeds on verges or remove mares tail from overgrown land.

I agree Jayjay.

On the whole people are responsible. David Allen's sensible attitude is not going to encourage unbridled civic decoration - people generally have a perfectly normal sense of propriety and understand that it wouldn't be appropriate to paint park benches and such. What it looks like to me is that some skate park users felt the need to paint their tired half-pipe and didn't feel able to approach the council about it - I can understand that, the council are not at all approachable.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 14 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I get the feeling that some councillors don't like the idea of people doing things without their approval, which undermines their office of course. On the other hand, for them to sit back and do and say nothing would look like that don't care, which would be no good either.

As dannyboy said: damned if you do, damned if you don't.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Aug 14 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

QUOTE (Penelope @ Aug 14 2012, 07:16 PM) *
Wot we need is more giraffes.

Yes. We need that.

No harm done here, why complain about it. It affects no-one here. What Simon Kirby said.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 16 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I had a look at the photo in the local rag and it looked like the ramp had been painted yonks ago as the paint had worn off on many places (not just the actual ramp).... or the painter was rubbish............. This is a typical 'local story for local people'... move along there's nothing to see here....

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 17 2012, 11:10 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Banksy,Bristol and giraffes.
Yea Ok .I live where Banksy paints.
They are very good. And amusing .
Some of them are covered in perspex now.
They just keep appearing.

Perhaps tagging trains is daft.
ce

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:45 PM