Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crane Incident 31/05/2012
Gazzadp
post May 31 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,684

Well I see that the Thames Valley Poolice had a nice little bit of excitement in town today, leading to Park way and half of Victoria Park being cordoned off. Judging on the amount of police officers and PCSO's deployed to cordon the area I would safely bet that that was every police officer and PCSO that was on duty this morning.

Still no doubt the reason that all those police officers and PCSO's were all standing so far back from the crane as they were was no doubt a matter of "Health & Safety" that being that if they were any closer they might have got a crick in their neck from looking up!

Strange thing was they were not in any hurry to get to the bloke, when he climbed down at approx 12.25pm either!

Still alls well, that ends well, Who cares just so so long as the police can have their excitement!

"Move along please, there is nothing to see here" Yeah that unless you are being paid to wear a uniform and watch.

wink.gif

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
worried
post May 31 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,676

[quote name='Gazzadp' date='May 31 2012, 01:58 PM' post='62898']
Well I see that the Thames Valley Poolice had a nice little bit of excitement in town today, leading to Park way and half of Victoria Park being cordoned off. Judging on the amount of police officers and PCSO's deployed to cordon the area I would safely bet that that was every police officer and PCSO that was on duty this morning.

Still no doubt the reason that all those police officers and PCSO's were all standing so far back from the crane as they were was no doubt a matter of "Health & Safety" that being that if they were any closer they might have got a crick in their neck from looking up!

Strange thing was they were not in any hurry to get to the bloke, when he climbed down at approx 12.25pm either!

Still alls well, that ends well, Who cares just so so long as the police can have their excitement!

"Move along please, there is nothing to see here" Yeah that unless you are being paid to wear a uniform and watch.

what a sad little post about an incident that could been very much worse, a little decency please.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 31 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (worried @ May 31 2012, 02:02 PM) *
what a sad little post about an incident that could been very much worse, a little decency please.

Too true.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 31 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Now wheres a little bit of Van Halen when you need it? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Patience
post May 31 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,734

Rather than poke fun, shouldn't the question be how was he allowed to get up there in the first place? Another one for the HSE, I think.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 31 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Patience @ May 31 2012, 04:38 PM) *
Rather than poke fun, shouldn't the question be how was he allowed to get up there in the first place? Another one for the HSE, I think.

Its pretty easy to do something like this. As it is to go to Beachy Head. If someone truly wants to take there life they will and nothing can be done about it.
On this occasion it must have been more of a cry for help.

+Quote Post
Patience
post May 31 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,734

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 31 2012, 04:50 PM) *
Its pretty easy to do something like this. As it is to go to Beachy Head. If someone truly wants to take there life they will and nothing can be done about it.
On this occasion it must have been more of a cry for help.

Probably was - but how could a member of the public get access to a crane, behind a hoarding, on a building site? That's what I don't get.

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 31 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

QUOTE (Patience @ May 31 2012, 05:03 PM) *
Probably was - but how could a member of the public get access to a crane, behind a hoarding, on a building site? That's what I don't get.

I do believe people have arms, and legs, perhaps climbing objects, or simply using a running-jump.

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post May 31 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

Hmm, how interesting it is OK for the NWN to print incorrect information or to misatribute quotes or worse still totally misquote people.

Yet when when somebody tries to be sarcastic, now matter how much in bad taste that sarcasm may well be. Then people start throwing their toys from their pushchairs.

Oh well what ever.

BTW: The mods/admins need to loosen a bit and get a life, IP blocking is so juvenile.

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 31 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ May 31 2012, 06:15 PM) *
Hmm, how interesting it is OK for the NWN to print incorrect information or to misatribute quotes or worse still totally misquote people.

Yet when when somebody tries to be sarcastic, now matter how much in bad taste that sarcasm may well be. Then people start throwing their toys from their pushchairs.

Oh well what ever.

BTW: The mods/admins need to loosen a bit and get a life, IP blocking is so juvenile.

Suspect I'll get into trouble for saying this but the sympathy bit can be a little overdone sometimes. We do need a bit of b alance. Yes, its dreadful and sad that someone has got to this state and have made such a choice. The choice was one that arguably was designed to draw attention and cause inconvenience. Again, perhaps another symptom of the 'me' generation? Once down, tea, sympathy then some stiff conversation might well be in order.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 31 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I'm more inclined to just think that there wasn't a lot of thought at all on the part of the perpetrator. If you are suffering from some sort of mental illness then you probably wont be thinking straight. It seems a massive over reaction again though from the emergency services (racking up the overtime?), why close the roads down? What was he going to do apart from fall straight down?

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 31 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 31 2012, 09:31 PM) *
I'm more inclined to just think that there wasn't a lot of thought at all on the part of the perpetrator. If you are suffering from some sort of mental illness then you probably wont be thinking straight. It seems a massive over reaction again though from the emergency services (racking up the overtime?), why close the roads down? What was he going to do apart from fall straight down?

Maybe he had a plan, to fall onto a vehicle. Or had a large bag of flour, or cement dust.
Could be a distraction.

I suppose, in closing the road down, it would keep passers-by from, as they say, rubber-necking. And causing further accidents.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jun 1 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

I went for the bus on Park Way just as this begun. The police corralled all us all just outside Camp Hobson car park. They were sending cars from the car park across the bridge and back into town. The lady driver of a very shiny, expensive car wound down the window and yelled we should all be ashamed standing there waiting for the chap to fall. The only people there were bus passengers, the majority of them elderly and several young moms trying to get to the nursery in the park.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:55 PM