Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hillsborough Disaster Verdict
Andy Capp
post Apr 28 2016, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

It is clear the game was badly managed in a stadium that was dangerous. Had the police managed it better the tragedy would not have happened. It is also clear the police tried to cover up their mistake. The one bit I find hard to understand is the idea that fans were blameless. I used to go to football back then and know what it was like and it seems to me from the footage that some fans that were late cared more for seeing the start of the game than they did for the people that were already in the stadium. Perhaps that was the problem, up to then, there hadn't been anything like it happen. A tragedy waiting to happen.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 28 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 28 2016, 09:10 PM) *
It is clear the game was badly managed in a stadium that was dangerous. Had the police managed it better the tragedy would not have happened. It is also clear the police tried to cover up their mistake. The one bit I find hard to understand is the idea that fans were blameless. I used to go to football back then and know what it was like and it seems to me from the footage that some fans that were late cared more for seeing the start of the game than they did for the people that were already in the stadium. Perhaps that was the problem, up to then, there hadn't been anything like it happen. A tragedy waiting to happen.

And strange how heysel and the families affected by that are forgotten....

They won't be happy till Duckenfield has committed suicide or has been imprisoned.

I have deep sympathy for the families of the victims. They were very different times though. It's just sad. Time to let the souls rest in peace.

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 28 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Well according to the inquest the fans were blameless. The issue was a lack of turnstiles that caused thousands of people to be stuck in a bottleneck all desperate to get in for the kick off. Then a policeman made a bad decision to open a gate. He then lied and then lies piled on lies. It's very hard to see how the fans were anything but blameless.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 28 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Remember the old Wembley Stadium? 1986 FA Cup Final? The city full of Liverpool and Everton fans...... many of those cheeky rascals without tickets showed how creative they could be in gaining entrance by clambering up the outside of the towers and in through windows. They also charged down a couple of turnstiles. Totally blameless. Totally innocent.

Those blameless scallywags were also safely tucked up at home nicking car tyres at the time of the Heysel Stadium incident. They had nothing to do with those 39 Juventus fans who were crushed and died. If you read scouser fan sites it was a Thatcher conspiracy and those who created the carnage were SAS Troopers in disguise (and I'm not kidding either as I have a few friends who have family that are convinced it was not their boys....)

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 28 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 28 2016, 09:44 PM) *
It's just sad. Time to let the souls rest in peace.

After their huge compo payout of course they will...

"What do we want?"
"Justice!..... and around £2m.."
"When do we want it?"
"Now!!"

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 28 2016, 11:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Apr 28 2016, 11:53 PM) *
Remember the old Wembley Stadium? 1986 FA Cup Final? The city full of Liverpool and Everton fans...... many of those cheeky rascals without tickets showed how creative they could be in gaining entrance by clambering up the outside of the towers and in through windows. They also charged down a couple of turnstiles. Totally blameless. Totally innocent.

Those blameless scallywags were also safely tucked up at home nicking car tyres at the time of the Heysel Stadium incident. They had nothing to do with those 39 Juventus fans who were crushed and died. If you read scouser fan sites it was a Thatcher conspiracy and those who created the carnage were SAS Troopers in disguise (and I'm not kidding either as I have a few friends who have family that are convinced it was not their boys....)

People forget just how bad football hooligans were!

I support Stoke. Have done all my life. Even I knew going to a match back then was a bad idea. Most clubs had "firms" as they used to be known. Stokes was the "naughty forty". Times were hard. It was a release for the young to go and fight at the weekends as most did not have jobs.

I'm not excusing it. It's just a sad fact.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Apr 28 2016, 11:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 29 2016, 12:13 AM) *
People forget just how bad football hooligans were!

I support Stoke. Have done all my life. Even I knew going to a match back then was a bad idea. Most clubs had "firms" as they used to be known. Stokes was the "naughty forty". Times were hard. It was a release for the young to go and fight at the weekends as most did not have jobs.

I'm not excusing it. It's just a sad fact.

Anyone remember the 6.57 crew? Pompey's real bad boys! Up to London to give Millwall a kicking! Them was the days.

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 29 2016, 04:16 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

If I ever feel the need to remember what it is I don't like about the posters on this forum, I only need to look here to see prejudice and total ignorance on full display.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 29 2016, 06:52 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 29 2016, 05:16 AM) *
If I ever feel the need to remember what it is I don't like about the posters on this forum, I only need to look here to see prejudice and total ignorance on full display.

I don't believe anyone would feel anything but sorrow for the terrible injustice these families have suffered. If you are old enough to remember these times though you would surely know that a lot of this is seen through rose tinted spectacles in terms of the innocence in general of footie fans. We were the scourge of Europe. That's why they banned ALL our teams.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 29 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

....and that's why it seems a travesty of justice to COMPLETELY exonerate those hundreds of ticket less fans (and there were hundreds) who rushed through the opened gates like a stampeding herd and crushed the life out of the caged and innocent fans who did have tickets for the Leppings Lane end.

All quite sad.

I can only assume that the jurors came to this conclusion for fear of having to sit in a dusty courtroom and watch ANOTHER two years of their life dribble away listening to evidence from teary and emotional scousers. ....

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 29 2016, 08:10 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Apr 29 2016, 08:14 AM) *
....and that's why it seems a travesty of justice to COMPLETELY exonerate those hundreds of ticket less fans (and there were hundreds) who rushed through the opened gates like a stampeding herd and crushed the life out of the caged and innocent fans who did have tickets for the Leppings Lane end.

All quite sad.

I can only assume that the jurors came to this conclusion for fear of having to sit in a dusty courtroom and watch ANOTHER two years of their life dribble away listening to evidence from teary and emotional scousers. ....

It is normal for a popular team like Liverpool to have ticketless fans turn up. What isn't normal is to have so few access points.

Do you really think that the jurors would consider anything other than the evidence?

It was a balls up by the stadium, the police and the ambulance service. Otherwise why cover it up? So many things can be overcome. Unfortunately, prejudice isn't one of them.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 29 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Here we go here we go here we go!

"More than 5,000 Liverpool fans could get compensation payouts over the Hillsborough disaster, lawyers have said.

Around 400 people including families of those killed and supporters who were injured have launched a High Court claim for damages following a jury's findings of police errors.

But lawyers say a much wider group could also be entitled to compensation - including everyone who was in the Leppings Lane End during the 1989 disaster."

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 29 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Without passing judgment one way or another, I would think people that witnessed that would have been profoundly affected. But its not relevant to the verdict.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 29 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 29 2016, 11:39 AM) *
Without passing judgment one way or another, I would think people that witnessed that would have been profoundly affected. But its not relevant to the verdict.

Hmmm, I would think most of Liverpool would have been profoundly affected when German bombers raised it to the ground. Don't see them all rushing to get a slice of 'compo pie'. But still, not relevant to the verdict.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 29 2016, 11:58 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Apr 29 2016, 11:59 AM) *
Hmmm, I would think most of Liverpool would have been profoundly affected when German bombers raised it to the ground. Don't see them all rushing to get a slice of 'compo pie'. But still, not relevant to the verdict.

Or when John Lennon was murdered.

I think "raised to the ground" may be a bit of an oxymoron?
It's razed actually, but still not relevant to the verdict!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 29 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 29 2016, 12:58 PM) *
Or when John Lennon was murdered.

I think "raised to the ground" may be a bit of an oxymoron?
It's razed actually, but still not relevant to the verdict!

Blame autocorrect.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 29 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 29 2016, 09:10 AM) *
It is normal for a popular team like Liverpool to have ticketless fans turn up. What isn't normal is to have so few access points.

Do you really think that the jurors would consider anything other than the evidence?

It was a balls up by the stadium, the police and the ambulance service. Otherwise why cover it up? So many things can be overcome. Unfortunately, prejudice isn't one of them.

Prejudice is evident, but given that the police, FA and Sheffield Wednesday are all capable and in some cases were criminally inept, the reason that people died was a lack of care for other peoples' safety. Gate C was opened because people were pushing and it looks like mass gathering of people seems to exonerate individuals of their own and others' safety. Many football fans and fans of other entertainment, that involves mass support, behave like this.

I am not blaming the fans, I just don't accept they were completely blameless. Or should I say, I find it hard to accept.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 29 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 29 2016, 03:56 PM) *
Prejudice is evident, but given that the police, FA and Sheffield Wednesday are all capable and in some cases were criminally inept, the reason that people died was a lack of care for other peoples' safety. Gate C was opened because people were pushing and it looks like mass gathering of people seems to exonerate individuals of their own and others' responsibilities. Many football fans and fans of other entertainment that involves mass support behave like this.

I am not blaming the fans, I just don't accept they were completely blameless.

This is true, there was, and is, fault to be found on all sides. However we sadly live in a society where responsibility for ones personal actions is ignored. To paraphrase the great Tacitus "its always someone else's fault". Which is why we have the proliferation of scumbag ambulance chasers today.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 29 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

I find the verdit of 'unlawfully killed' very unsettling. I don't think for a moment that anyone thought, "let's open the gate and kill a few scousers". Or even thought, "if we open the gates someone might die".

It was a ****-up of monumental proportions, a tragic decision made for what, at the time, seemed to be good reasons.

To declare this unlawful killing seems wrong.

That said every policeman involved in the subsequent cover up and attempts to shift the blame should be dismissed and charged with anything they can think of. This is the aspect of the case that I find unforgiveable.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 29 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 29 2016, 06:59 PM) *
I find the verdit of 'unlawfully killed' very unsettling. I don't think for a moment that anyone thought, "let's open the gate and kill a few scousers". Or even thought, "if we open the gates someone might die".

It was a ****-up of monumental proportions, a tragic decision made for what, at the time, seemed to be good reasons.

To declare this unlawful killing seems wrong.

That said every policeman involved in the subsequent cover up and attempts to shift the blame should be dismissed and charged with anything they can think of. This is the aspect of the case that I find unforgiveable.

See here.
What does unlawful killing mean?

This verdict means that the person was killed by an ‘unlawful act’ by someone or some others or as the result of their ‘gross negligence.’ These are both legal terms that are clearly defined in the criminal law. Unlawful killing is a very rare verdict.

The verdict of "unlawful killing" has to be proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Seems fair to me.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:36 AM