Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Just a LITTLE bit against the law...
spartacus
post Jul 29 2013, 08:11 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

Seeing as the Government are considering allowing drivers to break the law a little bit by allowing them to park on yellow lines for 15 minutes in an effort to improve the situation on the High Street, can we also assume that we'll be allowed to speed by just ever so slightly and get away with it, provided that we can say we were on our way to a SALE on said High Street and didn't want to miss out on the bargains?

It's all part of the whole buying/shopping process. I mean, us rushing to get TO the shopping is the same as us dumping our cars anywhere so that can DO the shopping... wouldn't you think?

Hope it gets approved, I really do. I can't wait to dump my car in various spots around town just to cause a bit of temporary gridlock....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
newres
post Jul 29 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

I think you would be hard pushed to find many spots (other than main through routes) where parking on a double yellow line would cause gridlock. In many cases they only exist to get people to park in council car parks.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 29 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 29 2013, 09:11 PM) *
It's all part of the whole buying/shopping process...

I like your thinking. Perhaps Big Eric will legalise a bit of shoplifting - the first fifteen minutes nicking is free.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 29 2013, 09:12 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Jul 29 2013, 09:36 PM) *
I think you would be hard pushed to find many spots (other than main through routes) where parking on a double yellow line would cause gridlock. In many cases they only exist to get people to park in council car parks.

What about outside schools? Preferably in areas where young kids dart across the road... Acceptable? (Schools aren't just located in isolated rural areas, some are near High Streets and shops - not necessarily talking about Newbury)

And whether gridlock happens or not to a certain extent depends on the size of the vehicle parking on the yellow lines. Lickle Fiat 500, no problem. Dirty great Land Rover or Shogun it starts to get more of a problem. And remember that it won't be just one individual vehicle taking advantage of this 15 (25 minute) ruling.. There could be a Land Rover parked in front of a Shogun, parked in front of a line of 20 Fiat 500's.... Continuous line of parking and all potentially legal under these proposals....

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 29 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 29 2013, 10:04 PM) *
I like your thinking. Perhaps Big Eric will legalise a bit of shoplifting - the first fifteen minutes nicking is free.

laugh.gif

...this isn't necessarily a joke, did you see the NWN court report about a girl who reported the theft of her things which, on investigation, the Police found she'd lifted in the first place!!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Claude
post Jul 30 2013, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

I was advised by a parking official in Northbrook Street that you are allowed to park on double yellow lines for a short period of time already, I forget whether she said 5 or 10 minutes. Perhaps that was an exception rather than the rule?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 30 2013, 08:43 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 30 2013, 09:32 AM) *
I was advised by a parking official in Northbrook Street that you are allowed to park on double yellow lines for a short period of time already, I forget whether she said 5 or 10 minutes. Perhaps that was an exception rather than the rule?

Link

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 30 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

So you see no problem with unrestricted parking anywhere (except on through routes)?
A sort of parking free for all?
I think parking is restricted for many reasons other than preventing gridlock.
(And one of my pet hates is paying to park my car. It costs enough to keep them moving let alone pay for them while they are standing still!)

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 30 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Not the most helpful of links.

With any yellow line (single or double) you're allowed to stop on them for as long as it takes to allow passengers to board or alight (it's a standard exemption that's permitted nationally on all traffic parking orders) However if there's also a ban on loading (denoted by short yellow blips on the kerb edge) then that exemption doesn't apply.

Blue Badge Holders can park on yellow lines for up to three hours. If you're loading or unloading you're allowed to park on yellow lines as long as you need to to complete the task (however it must be continuously loading - not stopping every 10 minutes for a cup of tea and a fag)

It's because of those exemptions that Northbrook St is packed with parked (disabled) cars and vans every morning.

Also, since councils have taken on issuing tickets for parking, all appeals are heard by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. TPT don't like to be called on to judge on arguments between a disgruntled vehcle owner contesting a ticket who says "they were not 'parking' on a yellow line, they were 'loading'..." and so it has issued guidelines to all council parking offices that they should allow a 5 minute 'grace' period before issuing a ticket. That 5 minutes allows the ticket wardens to observe the car for 5 minutes to confirm that the owner wasn't actually loading. As far as I know, most of the software that ticket wardens have issued now doesn't allow them to issue and print out a ticket (for that type of parking on yellow line offence which has it's own Offence Code) until the 5 minute observation period has elapsed from first punching in the vehicle registration. So you unofficially already have a 5 minute 'free parking' period.

Upping that to 15 minutes will mean that ticket wardens will just be stood around for an additional 10 minutes longer than they currently are - doing nothing.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jul 30 2013, 10:23 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Looking at some of the comments on this thread, you would think the whole double yellow line world was proposed to be opened up on a galactic level!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 30 2013, 12:14 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

It's because of those exemptions that Northbrook St is packed with parked (disabled) cars

LOL - yeah, right.....

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 30 2013, 12:31 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Pickles would do better to instigate a review of double yellows - and remove all those that are not there for good reasons of safety or traffic flow.

+Quote Post
Claude
post Jul 30 2013, 01:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

I just can't see this 'double yellow line' discussion being in the public interest.

In my opinion the introduction of a 15 minute grace period is going to add too much of a burden on traffic wardens, policing it isn't feasible.

And removing or re-assessing all DYLs on the UK road network just won't be worth the effort. They are where they are and in my experience they aren't causing any problems at all.

Let's move on to the next debate.

+Quote Post
newres
post Jul 30 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 30 2013, 01:31 PM) *
Pickles would do better to instigate a review of double yellows - and remove all those that are not there for good reasons of safety or traffic flow.

Now that would be something useful.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 30 2013, 05:56 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 30 2013, 02:20 PM) *
I just can't see this 'double yellow line' discussion being in the public interest.

You're right... Excellent idea Claude... You start....

(my breath is bated and I can hardly contain my excitement at the prospect of a different topic to mull over. Why oh why did they ever get rid of the up-and-down car-eating bollards.)

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 30 2013, 08:28 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 30 2013, 06:56 PM) *
(my breath is bated and I can hardly contain my excitement at the prospect of a different topic to mull over. Why oh why did they ever get rid of the up-and-down car-eating bollards.)

They're still there Spartacus, just no buses to follow any more!!

Regarding your post on allowances when parking on yellow lines..................is this documented anywhere or just here-say from a CEO?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 30 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 30 2013, 02:20 PM) *

Good idea.
How about allotments? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 30 2013, 10:32 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 30 2013, 09:28 PM) *
Regarding your post on allowances when parking on yellow lines..................is this documented anywhere or just here-say from a CEO?

Stopping on yellow lines to let passengers get in/out of your vehicle is in The Highway Code. There is no defined time limit on this, so if you need to get bags/luggage loaded then that is permitted.

look under 'waiting restrictions'

3 hours parking on double yellow lines for disabled is a standard allowance
blue badge scheme

The 5 minutes observation period before tickets can be issued doesn't seem to be listed on the WBC site, but a quick google throws up and number of councils that post their parking protocols and procedures. Parking on yellow lines is a Code 01 offence. Note the observation periods are listed on this one from Dacorum Borough Council and this one (page 2)Hammersmith & Fulham. There's also the Parking Practices Notes issued by the BPA (British Parking Association) BPA waffle

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 31 2013, 08:18 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 30 2013, 11:32 PM) *
Stopping on yellow lines to let passengers get in/out of your vehicle is in The Highway Code. There is no defined time limit on this, so if you need to get bags/luggage loaded then that is permitted.

look under 'waiting restrictions'

3 hours parking on double yellow lines for disabled is a standard allowance
blue badge scheme

The 5 minutes observation period before tickets can be issued doesn't seem to be listed on the WBC site, but a quick google throws up and number of councils that post their parking protocols and procedures. Parking on yellow lines is a Code 01 offence. Note the observation periods are listed on this one from Dacorum Borough Council and this one (page 2)Hammersmith & Fulham. There's also the Parking Practices Notes issued by the BPA (British Parking Association) BPA waffle

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 1 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

What are the rules for parking on the green cycle lanes, St John's Road for instance. Do the rules apply to blue badge holders.

The three hour rule on yellow lines for blue badge holders just goes to prove that the whole restricted parking rules are a nonsense. A disabled car is the same size as a private car so the reason for the line(to keep traffic flowing ?) seems to be there just, as was said earlier, to force drivers into pay parks. The whole parking thing has been creeping up on us over the years and we haven't noticed. (Apart from Newbury today users of course).

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:12 AM