Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local Elections, Protest Voting
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 15 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

With the breakdown of trust so graphically illustrated in Question Time last night between the General Public and the not so honorable Members of Westminster will the local elections be in effect a protest vote against all the major 3 parties?

And if is the case will the BNP and UK Independence Party benefit in Newbury from this apathy and anger towards the big 3 parties?

I myself could not bring myself to vote for any of the major parties at the moment and will most likely abstain. As a result the rise of the far right and euro sceptics will no doubt occur.

A good or a bad thing? Discuss. unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post May 15 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

Is the Monster Raving Looney Party putting up a candidate in Newbury?

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 15 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Guests

Personally I will continue to vote for the same party I always have, but I do understand the point being made.

I watched Question Time last night and it was gripping stuff, watching MPs trying to defend the indefensible was shocking, patronosing and somehow hilarious in an ironic way all at the same time.

If we fail to fill out claim forms accurately we would be brought to account for it and the excuse of being to busy would not wash.

Have I Got News For You should be entertaining tonight, go get 'em Hislop.

Might be time to bring back Spittin Image too.

On a more serious note Mr Benyon and Mr Salter have made all the right noises, so lets just hope that their noses are proven to be clean.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 15 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I have no faith in the major parties so I will be voting for UKip. As for the local elections; probably the same. I don't think the major parties deserve our votes.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 15 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ May 15 2009, 11:29 AM) *
Personally I will continue to vote for the same party I always have, but I do understand the point being made.

Why the same party? Do they control you? I am what you call a floating voter and will vote for what is best for me and my country. I think it is sad, and very short sighted when someone can only manage to vote for one party because they've always done so.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 15 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ May 15 2009, 02:22 PM) *
Why the same party? Do they control you? I am what you call a floating voter and will vote for what is best for me and my country. I think it is sad, and very short sighted when someone can only manage to vote for one party because they've always done so.

Excuse me.

I will continue to vote the way I always have because I want to not because I feel compelled to.

If a party was able to convince me to do otherwise then I would.

It's my choice not my compulsion.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 15 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ May 15 2009, 03:06 PM) *
Excuse me.

I will continue to vote the way I always have because I want to not because I feel compelled to.

If a party was able to convince me to do otherwise then I would.

It's my choice not my compulsion.

Thank you.

It is ok, you don’t have to thank me... but seeing as you are offering it I’ll take it. wink.gif

Voting for the same party is more to do with conditioning than thought. How can you say that voting for the same party all the time is the best option? They’ve all been bad at one time or another.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 15 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ May 15 2009, 04:07 PM) *
It is ok, you don’t have to thank me... but seeing as you are offering it I’ll take it. wink.gif

Voting for the same party is more to do with conditioning than thought. How can you say that voting for the same party all the time is the best option? They’ve all been bad at one time or another.

Thank you.

My my we are polite on here aren't we.

Again, how dare you call me conditioned?

I have my own mind on these matters and will use my vote how I please.

Just acknowledge my right to do so, without implying that I am somehow being lazy or scared to change and we can move on.

Finally you have taken one sentence from my original post and seem to be using it out of context from my whole rounded point of view.

Cheers.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 15 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ May 15 2009, 05:10 PM) *
My my we are polite on here aren't we.

Again, how dare you call me conditioned?

I have my own mind on these matters and will use my vote how I please.

Just acknowledge my right to do so, without implying that I am somehow being lazy or scared to change and we can move on.

Finally you have taken one sentence from my original post and seem to be using it out of context from my whole rounded point of view.

Cheers.

Question; so why don't you change instead of just sticking to one party? That doesn't sound like a unconditioned mind?

As for being polite; this is a debate; fair and honest under Queensbury rules. Why shouldn't we be polite to each other? I am just trying to understand why you don't vote for anybody else.

Cheers mate! wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 16 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ May 15 2009, 02:20 PM) *
I have no faith in the major parties so I will be voting for UKip. As for the local elections; probably the same. I don't think the major parties deserve our votes.

Judging by your replies to Bill1, you seem to think that voting for something you believe in is somewhat strange behaviour. Even stranger (and more dangerous) is voting for a party just because you don't want to vote for the others. Have you given a single thought to what UKIP policies actually are and what would happen if they were in power?

+Quote Post
Roost
post May 17 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

The problem is that government no longer seems to be about representing the people. Every day, the words "gravy train" are becoming more and more appropriate. With MP's salaries at the level they are, I would suggest removing expense claims almost completely. This should soon weed out most of those who are in it for the 'train' and not because they want to play a part in looking after the country. angry.gif

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 17 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Judging by your replies to Bill1, you seem to think that voting for something you believe in is somewhat strange behaviour.

I didn’t say that. Voting for a particular party just because it is/ and has been tradition is not the mind of a free thinking person. That is what I meant.

Even stranger (and more dangerous) is voting for a party just because you don't want to vote for the others.
I never said that either. We live in a free country and should vote or not vote as we see fit; with a free mind.

Have you given a single thought to what UKIP policies actually are and what would happen if they were in power?

I campaigned with Alan Skedd when he first stood in Newbury in 1992 so I know all about their policies.

One of the things that make them popular are their criticisms of the European union – in this instance they have the backing of the majority of the people in this country.

+Quote Post
Richard Head
post May 17 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 69

I suspect this may have all blown over and be largely forgotten come the Local Elections in 2011

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 17 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 16 2009, 12:24 PM) *
Judging by your replies to Bill1, you seem to think that voting for something you believe in is somewhat strange behaviour. Even stranger (and more dangerous) is voting for a party just because you don't want to vote for the others. Have you given a single thought to what UKIP policies actually are and what would happen if they were in power?

Quite.

Well said JeffG

+Quote Post
Richard Head
post May 18 2009, 07:25 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 69

QUOTE (Bill1 @ May 17 2009, 03:34 PM) *
Well said JeffG
True. One policy parties are dangerous and it would be a disaster should they ever got a sniff of any real power to control our lives.

+Quote Post
J C
post May 18 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

Maybe the right to vote should be earnt

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 18 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #17

Guests

Richard (as in ****) Head.

Really or just your comedy name?

Anyway I totally agree with you on one policy parties.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 18 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Head @ May 18 2009, 08:25 AM) *
True. One policy parties are dangerous and it would be a disaster should they ever got a sniff of any real power to control our lives.

When labour started they were a single policy party. UKip have actually got more than one policy. However, I do agree on single policy parties.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 23 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I'm not going to vote for anyone locally - the evidence demonstrates that no party will get to grips with the fundamental issues with WBC. Intend doing the same for European election, same reasons. So, question is, how can I do that? I fully intend going to the ballot, but I'll simply spoil the ballot paper or leave it blank. If enough of us did that, the message would get home; lets start a quiet non violent revolution!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 23 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 23 2009, 07:57 AM) *
I'm not going to vote for anyone locally - the evidence demonstrates that no party will get to grips with the fundamental issues with WBC. Intend doing the same for European election, same reasons. So, question is, how can I do that? I fully intend going to the ballot, but I'll simply spoil the ballot paper or leave it blank. If enough of us did that, the message would get home; lets start a quiet non violent revolution!

Wouldn't it be better to vote for one of the minority parties instead. That would speak louder than spoiling her ballot paper/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:54 PM