Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A plea for sanity.
Jayjay
post May 10 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

Could I put in a plea for a little sanity on the forum for a few days? I am tired of people deliberately misunderstanding the point, senseless, pointless rambles about family members and just the sheer banality of some of the recent posts.

I like light hearted posts, I really do, I enjoy most of ce's remininiciencies, I enjoy a good debate and fully understand how and why a post can go from one subject to another, but I am not enjoying the forum at the moment.

Did anyone else notice that there was no section of the forum on the letters page of NWN this week? I wonder why? sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 10 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 10 2012, 03:31 PM) *
Could I put in a plea for a little sanity on the forum for a few days? I am tired of people deliberately misunderstanding the point, senseless, pointless rambles about family members and just the sheer banality of some of the recent posts.

I like light hearted posts, I really do, I enjoy most of ce's remininiciencies, I enjoy a good debate and fully understand how and why a post can go from one subject to another, but I am not enjoying the forum at the moment.

Did anyone else notice that there was no section of the forum on the letters page of NWN this week? I wonder why? sad.gif

I totally agree and if one particular individual continues to post sensless and idiotic comments I will call Admin and if they don't do anything I shall resign from this forum.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 10 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

I am probably as guilty as anyone else for pulling topics in the wrong direction but I do find certain people on here unable to listen to another point of view.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 10 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 10 2012, 03:38 PM) *
I am probably as guilty as anyone else for pulling topics in the wrong direction but I do find certain people on here unable to listen to another point of view.

That's not the issue for me, it is the banal nonsense being posted that is bringing this forum down.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 10 2012, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I have only one poster on ignore - the only time I have ever felt it necessary to do so.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 10 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 10 2012, 03:51 PM) *
I have only one poster on ignore - the only time I have ever felt it necessary to do so.

(Not you, Andy, but you came close in one thread smile.gif)

Am sure I have russled a few feathers, did'nt know you could ignore people to be honest or I would have ignored jaycakes.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 10 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Ha you are too quick for me - I edited that bit out, as there is more than one "Andy" on these forums.

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 10 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

I do find certain people on here unable to listen to another point of view.

Like yourself.
And everyone, really. If people want to complain and whine and debate then do that, maybe people do not like to take life so seriously. For me it is not a problem. Join in and enjoy where you so desire, really.
A forum is a bit like a buffet cart. Lots of different things, some you may not like. The joyous thing is that you can have what you like, without having to have the things you don't. Om nom, as I think the cookie-monster goes.
I have not been around long enough, to know about the forum from before but, seems OK to me. Maybe some take situations too seriously.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post May 10 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Bloggo @ May 10 2012, 03:41 PM) *
That's not the issue for me, it is the banal nonsense being posted that is bringing this forum down.

Agreed 100%. I have generally given up posting here because every thread at some point has a couple of posters filling it with made-up nonsense.

I would use the "other" forum, but no-one else seems to any more.

This place needs a pro-active admin to heavily prune the threads of junk.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 10 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

Hate to ***** so soon after starting to post but I have been reading the forums for about a fortnight to sort of "feeler" my way around before posting and you come across as one of the most single minded people I've ever come across. Worse and harsher words come to mind but I am not in the business of randomly insulting people, this isn't really a playground in Secondary School anymore.
Roger doesn't half ramble and talk about his Nephew but sometimes makes some good points, just takes a bit of effort to understand. Not really a bother to me. Nothing Much doesn't seem to add much to discussions in terms of content at all, but personally have no problem with that.

Bloggo mate if you want to resign from the forum then go ahead, personally I don't think anyone will mind; to say "Oh, so and so is annoying me and if you don't do something about it I am going to stomp out"... sounds just like some the whiney little kids I used to teach. (And they said I was one of the nice teachers..).
At present as an exclusive reader for several weeks I see no "Insanity" on the forum whatsoever..

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 10 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 10 2012, 04:53 PM) *
Hate to ***** so soon after starting to post but I have been reading the forums for about a fortnight to sort of "feeler" my way around before posting and you come across as one of the most single minded people I've ever come across. Worse and harsher words come to mind but I am not in the business of randomly insulting people, this isn't really a playground in Secondary School anymore.
Roger doesn't half ramble and talk about his Nephew but sometimes makes some good points, just takes a bit of effort to understand. Not really a bother to me. Nothing Much doesn't seem to add much to discussions in terms of content at all, but personally have no problem with that.

Bloggo mate if you want to resign from the forum then go ahead, personally I don't think anyone will mind; to say "Oh, so and so is annoying me and if you don't do something about it I am going to stomp out"... sounds just like some the whiney little kids I used to teach. (And they said I was one of the nice teachers..).
At present as an exclusive reader for several weeks I see no "Insanity" on the forum whatsoever..

not to single anyone out at all ?

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 10 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Well, I see you making comments about other people (I presume jaycakes is a member but I caught glance of a mention of him being banned?) so figured that sort of thing was alright around here. And since Bloggo made such a point about his perceived self-importance then why shouldn't I notice that too?

I don't wish to seem confrontational (perhaps too late now? Sorry if that's the case) but I've been using forums for about 8 or 9 years now, when they started off being used in ernest, and have never liked such self-importance, people going "either x goes or I go.." - Not conducive to a forum. In that time as well I have never added anyone to an ignore list, no matter how irritating they are. Because then by ignoring them, when/if they do make an interesting point, I would be ignorant to that point, in turn making me more ignorant than they were to begin with. It's like when you are in a situation in real life where you dislike someone's personality, perhaps at a meeting or a party, you can't simply add them to an ignore list. It's easy being nice to people you like but, it takes a great deal more skill to be nice to someone you don't like.

This is the only "debating" forum one that I've signed up to, the others are for specific areas of interest eg hobbies or certain video simulation games I have been playing since my late teens years. I don't like out right debating because, generally, it's more about egos that ideas. Which is a shame. People are and should be free to post what they like whether or not it bores you.

Which is why, in your case Andy, I don't mind that you post (in my eyes) single minded comments because they are your comments at the end of the day, and add to the discussion, for better or for worse, whether they are on topic or not.
Cheers.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 10 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

They don't always have a section for the forum in the letters' page.

As for sanity; what is one man's meat is another ones poison. Somebody is always going to upset somebody else. Others will get on with those that upset others. This forum gives people of expression a voice; no matter what rubbish one member things that expression is. The only time admin should interfere is if somebody is being attacked or abused. Then that should be dealt with immediately.

Another point; humour. Humour is subjective. One person will think it is funny, another will be insulted. Open forums can't please everybody. The rule of thumb is; if you don't like something then ignore it. Allow those that do enjoy a particular post (while nobody else does) that privilege. We are not going to please everybody; and that is because we are all individuals with our own quirkiness and uniqueness. We all can't and shouldn't conform to one man's ideal of what is right.

I must say - concerning admin on this forum - that they've shown fairness and basically kept out of things (allowing free speech, even when that free speech is critical to the NWN), unless it is beyond the pale. For that we should be grateful.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post May 10 2012, 04:12 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Well Timbo you are all lucky. My self deleted posts would make a forum full!.
I agree I can't add much. But I grew up in Newbury. It has changed 3 times since I left.
I can't say much about Parkway, Parking charges or Pubs even.
So I only pop in a post here and there. I visit the town every so often.
I do have fond memories.
ce

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 10 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Well put (GMR)
NothingMuch, I do not mind you posting in the way you do, in a way I was trying to defend people like you and RogerT who don't necessarily offer up as much to the discussion as others. (although that point is debatable). So far you two are the only people who's posts I've read and not immediately thought you were dull.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 10 2012, 04:15 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Replied to the wrong post. Deleted

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 10 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roger T @ May 10 2012, 04:00 PM) *
Like yourself.
And everyone, really. If people want to complain and whine and debate then do that, maybe people do not like to take life so seriously. For me it is not a problem. Join in and enjoy where you so desire, really.
A forum is a bit like a buffet cart. Lots of different things, some you may not like. The joyous thing is that you can have what you like, without having to have the things you don't. Om nom, as I think the cookie-monster goes.
I have not been around long enough, to know about the forum from before but, seems OK to me. Maybe some take situations too seriously.

I wonder why nobody else uses it? Maybe because the few dictated over the many what they wanted; instead of allowing free expression.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 10 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I'm glad somebody finally said it! The inane rambling has become too much to bear, and yes I can ignore it BUT I try and read all posts in order to have a full understanding of the conversation. Posts go off topic, that is fine, I disagree with people that is fine also, but the long pieces unrelated to anything by Nothing Much and Roger T have no place on most of the threads. Perhaps people could start more new threads if they want a conversation about something new?

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 10 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (massifheed @ May 10 2012, 04:03 PM) *
Agreed 100%. I have generally given up posting here because every thread at some point has a couple of posters filling it with made-up nonsense.

I would use the "other" forum, but no-one else seems to any more.

This place needs a pro-active admin to heavily prune the threads of junk.

I wonder why nobody else uses it? Maybe because the few dictated over the many what they wanted; instead of allowing free expression

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 10 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

I like this forum, I can engage in conversation, and ramble, all in one post combined.
Strafin, maybe I will try to have my conversation first, and then ramble afterwards, if that would help keep things clear. I know simply text passages can be hard to follow

In a related ramble, the Nephew had some mock GCSEs recently. He took them early. In which, he was given an article, maybe a holiday advert, and asked to decide what certain key points were, maybe the things that the advertiser is trying to portray to the reader, and identify statements. I heard he managed a B in his English mock so imagine he could decipher my posts. Maybe I will ask.
I can only guess if people want to become irate at their computer screen, they can have the pleasure of using my old Windows 98 PC, which is dusty and in the basement.

Timbo, maybe a bit harsh. I try to add to the discussion but, get side tracked..unfortunately or fortunately, depends really I suppose. Apologies if it offends but, passes the time and, makes me chuckle as I remember things.
To some perhaps, the "inane ramblings" of some of the serious, argumentative types on here, is too much to bear but, don't see many complaints going the other way.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:49 PM