IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nothing Much Alert, Younger sibling job interview.
Nothing Much
post Oct 16 2012, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,171

Well I thought that I would post a bit of family gosssip.Penelope thinks everyone has fallen off the edge of the world.
Younger bro was made redundant as a Civil Engineer ( he was too polite)... He has just had his first interview
with a construction company that is expanding along a line East to West along the line of the M4.

He is quite experienced with some major projects all over the UK . I don't know anything but the interview was held
in the Newbury racecourse area. Funny how things come full circle . At least he was born in the area.

So there are more of me about!. Nothing Much.
ce
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Oct 16 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Oct 16 2012, 05:46 PM) *
Well I thought that I would post a bit of family gosssip.Penelope thinks everyone has fallen off the edge of the world.
Younger bro was made redundant as a Civil Engineer ( he was too polite)... He has just had his first interview
with a construction company that is expanding along a line East to West along the line of the M4.

He is quite experienced with some major projects all over the UK . I don't know anything but the interview was held
in the Newbury racecourse area. Funny how things come full circle . At least he was born in the area.

So there are more of me about!. Nothing Much.
ce

Oh lord, can Newbury take two nothing muches!

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Oct 16 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

NM has a younger bro?
Do tell me more.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 16 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Suppose we have to be thankful you weren't the civil engineer in the family. Imagine the M4 - London, Maidenhead, Reading, Chichester, Portsmouth, Basingstoke, Newbury......

Still being rude - even though we were both 'there'

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 17 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I certainly accept your jibe On the Edge. After a pitstop at the Dundas Arms on that day I headed off for Combe Gibbet.
Got totally lost.. Somewhere in Inkpen. On the day after , an explore of the delights of North Newbury. I decided to head for Reading. To see if I recognised anything. Since1970? No chance.
Unless you know where you want to be it can be a nightmare.

Like a comment made by Lordtup about kindness, I was pleased to be let into a lane of traffic that I had missed a sign for.
I got a few toots because I was in the wrong line. But we all survived the day and I was back on the M4 meandering to Guildford Portsmouth, & Calais soon enough!

ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 17 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I suppose this is almost relevant.

Younger bro did some big projects. But in his youth he was on work experience from Uni Working on the Dartford Tunnel.
Living in lodgings nearby and cycling to work at daybreak.

One morning in January in a blizzard plodding through a gathering of snow he was pulled over by a Police Volvo estate.
"I am off to work"

"Sorry, Get in the back seat. You'll never get there in this weather. We will phone your company,and take you home."
Bike went in the back.
Another bit of kindness.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 21 2012, 04:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

A bit more family gossip.

Miss NM is no more. Today there is a Mrs P... not to be confused with anyone called Penelope.
Off to Vietnam for a spell tomorrow.
Bonzer do.

Some of the guests are Actuaries, which means they can add without using fingers.
I didn't know but there was a sweepstake on who would deliver the shortest speech.
I was opposite at lunchtime to the winner. I think he had insider knowledge. Mine was quick.

Another milestone in life.
My eyes are really sore from too much use of tissue yesterday.
ce

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post Oct 21 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

So glad you had a great day ce but sorry you did not win the sweepstake.
V N is one of my favorite places of all time.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 21 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

No the bloke bet on my speech. Which won.
Yes I have seen your snaps of Viet Nam. NORTHENDER.
It looks like chaos.

Some of the food doesn't always agree with western folk though
So Immodium is taking up a fair part of the luggage.
ce

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 22 2012, 06:49 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

ce - looks as if the wedding went very well indeed. Certainly is a milestone for dads and one you aren't often told about. However, you don't honestly expect us to believe your best story yet, that your speech was the shortest!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 22 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

On the Edge. 5 minutes it took..

You will have to take my word for it. Despite changing things in my head since Christmas I had to go back to the original draft.
Despite bubbly and stuff we were all told to sit down to expect my speech which would be the first part of the shindig.
This was about 3.45. Everyone was gasping for something to happen....Eating the plates, faffing around with knives and forks.

The venue was an old factory off Shoreditch, now a private club. with Gyms , bedrooms, bars , swimming pool on the roof.
The girl who did the photography was very diligent. So I cut my speech to the bone. When they appeared. Very late.

It didn't really matter for the Groom's notes and the Best Man. Everyone was quite happy by then.

I was surprised at how many laughs I got!!! My only anecdote that might amuse tolerant readers is as follows.

Daughter was born in Bart''s. At 06.30 a properly starched Matron told me to scarper.
"Come back in 5 hours with 2 bottles of Guinness and a bottle of Sherry for Guests" That is how the NHS should operate.
I walked across a Daffodil planted square towards the place of martyrdom and then through Smithfield Meat Market.

The bus stop was showing a 25 minute gap for the first bus home.
Just behind me "The White Bear" was heaving with porters.
Why not?... Getting on the bus a girl joined me, What did you have? Erm... a pint of Fullers.
No, you fool was it a girl or boy? I was the Ambulance driver.We never know the result.

That's me signing off for a while. I have to go north for a spell. I need to recover!!!
ce

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 22 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Brilliant! great story. Sounds as if you did one of those very rare family moments, a wedding speech that actually gets remembered. You deserve your trip - have a good one.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:38 PM